ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a new alternator - 182

I think mine's borked as it smells of burning and my headlights keep randomly turning off.

Can get a new one from GSF for about £90 by the looks of it. On a trade basis where I give them the broken one.

I understand that to fit it, I'd need to remove the aux belt? Does that mean I'd need a new aux belt kit? I had my cambelt and aux belt + tensioners done about 2 months ago.

It sounds like it could be a bit of an arsehole of a job. How much labour would I be looking at if I got a garage to do it? I don't want to get ripped off with them charging me more hours than it should take.

Thanks

ph2 172
Actually not all that bad a job, I just did mine today.

Bumper off
Slam panel off
Jubilee clip around the tensioner spring to stop it expanding.
out with alternator, in with new one
remove jubilee clip
Slam Panel on
Bumper on
Job done

For me the hardest part was the bumper off, as I never done that before, snapped two rusted bolts :(. I expect an experianced mechanic could do the job in a hour, took me 4 hours :eek:

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 182
I just did the auxy belt and pulley change today, me and an experienced mechanic, probably took around 2.5hours. Imagine alternator would be fairly quick using the jubilee clip method.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Actually not all that bad a job, I just did mine today.

Bumper off
Slam panel off
Jubilee clip around the tensioner spring to stop it expanding.
out with alternator, in with new one
remove jubilee clip
Slam Panel on
Bumper on
Job done

For me the hardest part was the bumper off, as I never done that before, snapped two rusted bolts :(. I expect an experianced mechanic could do the job in a hour, took me 4 hours :eek:

That really helped me out today !

Few things to add , couldnt remove all of the slam panel , only the 4 bolts at the top, getting a spanner between the radiator and the bottom middle part of the slam panel was a no starter. But I found you dont really need to undo all of the slam panel , just the top bit to give you and inch or two of play.
Unplug the battery before you start disconnecting the alternator - I forgot and got a few sparks.

Jubilee clip worked a treat, you need a 75mm diameter one. wrap it around the big rubber coated spring to the left of the alternator.

The alternator only has a 13mm and 16mm bolt that need to be removed to free it.

Once you have unbolted the alternator and taken the belt off, it is like a chinese puzzle trying to get the alternator out while avoiding the aircon pipes but can be done by rotating and twisting it.

Laguna sport tourer
done mine last month in the snow lol. not to bad a job as ong as your organised takes about 2 hours. be wary getting an alternator fom motor factors they seem to supply the wrong one