ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FITTING STRUTBRACE TO WILLIAMS! HELP PLS

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

right seein as i get paid on friday its time i bought something for the williams!!! so im thinking of getting a strut brace for the old girl!!! but i have noticed a few posts on here regarding the fitting of strut braces!!! are they straight forward to fit???? is it literally undo both the nuts on the strut tops put brace on and tighten nuts back up???? if so i will defo get one??? but would u need longer nuts tho???? cheers peeps

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

i know the handling on a williams is all uprated anyway! but why not get one??? what would happen??? wouldnt it improve it further????

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

On a track it would maybe help where you are really pushing it, but not really on the road. will do no harm what so ever though.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

No offence but if a williams should of NEEDED a Strut brace, then im sure it will of had one fresh from the factory.

But im sure it wouldnt hurt to av one fitted.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Do they actually improve handling at all?

Is it a worth while addition to a valver?

Laguna

Im fitting one on the 172 too once its been chromed up, interested to know if they are a improvement or not. Im basically using them to tart the car up a bit.

Its a gray area m8 - no one seems to know. Ive got a brace at home wating to be fitted, but im in 2 minds to fit it due to some worrying stories i keep hearing.

Williams Clio

For normal road use i dont think u will notice any difference in the cars handling, on the track they maybe some small improvements when u pus the car close the limits. Im getting one fitted on my RT on friday along with some GAZ coilovers. Although due to changing the suspension i probably wont know if the strutbrace has helped at at all.

It would be nice to hear from someone thats actually had one fitted to voice an honest view on both advantages and disadvantages of having a brace fitted.

From what i can work out, a brace between struts should should slightly improve cornering by reducing flex in the chassis allowing a more equal amount of force on all four wheels at one time. As flex is reduced this should help keep your suspension geometry level, giving maybe a firm/tight feel through bends. (this is only my own conclusion btw)

The disadvantages (as far as i can work out) becuase of the lack of flex in the chassis the force will be looking to give way somewhere else, which will prob be your tyres - resulting in loss of grip and spinning you out into a tree or something at next to little notice... Of course you shouldnt be driving to that degree on public roads anyway - but for the poeple that do they will sense a feel of understeer! With a brace my worries are you will not feel your limits until its too late!

again this is only what i think - if someone with an actual brace fitted could confirm it would be appreciated!

Rockport you are technically correct with your disadvantages, on the road its a pointless addition and will make the car a handful in the wet.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I have a front strut brace but I had it fitted at the same time as Gaz coilovers. I think my car handles pretty well, ask anyone who has been on any of the peaks runs and theyll tell you my cars as good if not better than a standard williams. Oh and I have no problems with my car breaking away unpredictably in the wet or dry, if you get a strut brace for a williams however I would get an adjustable one as my K-tec brace is not a perfect fit.

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

hmmmmmmmm i only wanna get it just for the looks under the bonnet! not over bothered on handling like will it make it better? just if it could cause problems in later years like as ive seen written on here "flexing" and creases to happen by the sunroof???? anyone had this problem????

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

No sunroof for me.:) I cant imagine there would any structural problems from a strut brace though, never heard of this happening before.

172 Exclusive

I got one fitted it myself in the snow easy to fit no problems there.

I find it has made a difference to the handling on my car it has made the steering more responsive and has got rid of play in the steering too

Get one they look good and do make a difference to the handling

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

cheers pal! reckon i will do that!!! im gonna spray the strut brace monaco blue and ive got a contact who i can get some williams decals made especially for me!!!!

Ok - let me put it another way, to the people who have braces fitted to there motors - have any of you tried pushing your car to its limits? If so do you feel an sense of give? other then the sound of tyre squeel?

Only the wheels squealing, I have got the arse out on some bends doing 70 / 80 but the front does seem to be more stiff and solid.

williams and trophy

lol......fitted a brace to me old valver.......improved turn in an high speed cornerin no end..best £20 iv ever spent on a car.....period

slight problem with them is like u say......wen fitted the chassis will also be stiffened up, forcing the chassis to flex in the next weakest point.....havin a huge fuk off hole in the roof is a perfect place for such flexing......and yes they DO buckle the roof behind the sunroof....theres plentty of em about that have done......my valver being one of em......but that was also on 205/45/16s n stiffer susp , it doesnt help lol

172 Exclusive

I have been on a couple of track days with mine on now and i do notice the difference with it on it does make it stiffer and flatter round corners.

I have noticed that my car follows the lines in the road more now that the strut brace is fitted but that all adds to the fun of driving