ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fixed my window washers - pics included

RB Clio 182
Recently i noticed that my window wipers were not spraying but i could hear the motor, so i followed a guide off here although it didnt have pics, so ill show you how i did mine today if its any use to anyone.

Bearing in mind this might not be the correct way but it has worked for me, so if any of you mechanics out there would like to correct anything i did wrong i dont mind, i am by no means the best with a spanner.

firstly i removed the bonnet seal and took the plastic covers off the wiper arms, then using a 13mm socket i removed the three nuts holding them on...

3_zps3fe24505.jpg

I then used a small hammer to tap the thread while i pulled the wiper arm at the same time, gently freeing the wiper arms off...

4_zps794e962e.jpg

I then removed the two little black plugs at either side of the scuttle panel...

6_zpsa77d499b.jpg

5_zps7d601a18.jpg

I then uclipped the passanger side 1st, then the drivers side...

9_zps758bc338.jpg

You'll then be able to see the wiper motor connection, un clip this...

11_zps8b7ddf99.jpg

Then using a 10mm socket, i un did the three bolts holding the wiper mechanism on...

12_zpsda70bf94.jpg

13_zps56b5d84c.jpg

I then removed the mechanism.

Next i un did the 10mm bolt on the washer bottle...

14_zpse5fa3023.jpg

19_zps265f2891.jpg

I then unclipped the two pumps...

15_zps9c955342.jpg

17_zps3ed6e6d2.jpg

I then pulled the two pipes off the pump nearest the wing...

20_zpsf5349b62.jpg

This lets you lift the washer bottle out just enough to pull out the pump furthest away from the wing, which frees the whole thing away...

21_zps41dc1d27.jpg

22_zpsbb59c1f0.jpg

I then pulled out the other pump from the bottle...

23_zps0d1d10f9.jpg

next i pulled the valves out using abit of force...

24_zpsbe4ba5c4.jpg

using a flat headed screwdriver i prized the valves apart, inside the white part you will see the rubber bung inside the plastic cylinder, which is the problem to why your wipers dont work...

25_zps2ca05307.jpg

I used a screwdriver to gently ease the bung out, once you have it out, you need to use a craft/stanley knife to trim off the edges of the rubber so its flush with the cylinder at either side, this is to free up the bung once its back in place...

27_zpsb75b2fed.jpg

Once you have done that, put the bung back in and put the pump back together...

28_zps65e10a19.jpg

I then repeated the same process with the other pump and put them back in the washer bottle...

31_zps20009450.jpg

I then clipped the pumps back up and tested them and voila, they worked perfect!

I then refitted everything back in reverse order and gave them a test, they would not squirt a drop before!..

32_zps1c90234c.jpg

Hope it helps some of the less mechanically minded people out there like myself, as its much easier with pics :)

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Good job done.

Did mine a few days ago, will just add that a wiper arm puller is very worthwhile and anger saving device.

Also worth a mention is the small plastic 'tits' that fit into the rear of the inner wing and hold the extreme ends of the plastic scuttle panel, they always fall out, get lost or broken but without them the panel rubber seals do not fit snug onto the screen.

RB Clio 182
Good job done.

Did mine a few days ago, will just add that a wiper arm puller is very worthwhile and anger saving device.

Also worth a mention is the small plastic 'tits' that fit into the rear of the inner wing and hold the extreme ends of the plastic scuttle panel, they always fall out, get lost or broken but without them the panel rubber seals do not fit snug onto the screen.

Thanks mate, yes a wiper arm puller would be a better option, although i had a new windscreen fitted a couple of days a go, so it may have made the job easier for me :)

​Yes i took the plastic tits out and replaced them back too, thanks again mate :)

RB Clio 182
VERY good guide there, I'm sure this will come in handy for me one day! Are the pumps one for front one for rear?

Tbh mate im not too sure, although i think one is front/rear, and the other headlight washers, although im not 100% sure so i did both :)

​My headlight washers work now so something went right lol.

Do you have to remove all of that just to get at the pump? on my 1.2 I just pulled it up and out, and replaced?

Edit, just read above about the lazy method, I suppose do a job once and do it properly :)

RB Clio 182
Do you have to remove all of that just to get at the pump? on my 1.2 I just pulled it up and out, and replaced?

Edit, just read above about the lazy method, I suppose do a job once and do it properly :)

Pulled the washer bottle out? Or the pump?, You could probably pull the washer bottle out on a 1.2 as its smaller so you wont need to remove the wiper mechanism :)

Pump, haven't had to do the pump on my 182, but on the 1.2 I just pulled it out, is that not possible to just pull the pump out without removing the wiper mech and bottle?

RB Clio 182
Pump, haven't had to do the pump on my 182, but on the 1.2 I just pulled it out, is that not possible to just pull the pump out without removing the wiper mech and bottle?

Im not too sure mate but it would be really tight imo. I didnt want to brake anything, i mean its only three bolts for the wiper mech and one for the washer bottle.

I followed the previous guide off here but it didnt have any pics, so i thought id try follow it and add the pics for anyone that might need them :)