ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fletch's 150k 172 Project..

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ah crap... a friend of mine has just binned several cans of the black stuff as they were surplus to requirements and he couldn't be bothered to sell them! I doubt they are still at the tip (sorry, I meant the "waste disposal and recycling public amenity").

Seems to be coming along nicely, Fletch... looking forward to seeing it in the flesh/metal.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Ah crap... a friend of mine has just binned several cans of the black stuff as they were surplus to requirements and he couldn't be bothered to sell them! I doubt they are still at the tip (sorry, I meant the "waste disposal and recycling public amenity").

Seems to be coming along nicely, Fletch... looking forward to seeing it in the flesh/metal.

Nevermind Andy.

I'll see you next Saturday.

I've sold quite a few things latley, two sets of wheels, and a set of Recaro trendlines etc.. so have a bit of spare cash to throw at the old girl.

Not sure what to do next really..

I am still running a pretty much standard car engine wise ATM (Maxogen and k-tec SS stealth/ decat) and don't know if I should get a remap, matched inlets or just wait, save my money until I eventually have ITB's fitted!

Also Thinking about getting a roll cage soonish, as I am not that keen on running harnesses without a cage, for obvious reasons!

Thoughts?

This is looking great now, loving the seat

After taking everything out of mine i decided against spraying the whole interior black with rattle cans. Once i've got the rest of the tar out i'm just going to give mine a quick spray in silver.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
dont bother, save your money and get it to TDF, Pronto ;)

Bwwwaarrrrpp!

If it wasn't for the pending home extension I'd probably have ITB's this year :dapprove:

TDF is also where I would have them fitted :)

should come with every F4R standard tbfh x

Knowsit.

This is looking great now, loving the seat

After taking everything out of mine i decided against spraying the whole interior black with rattle cans. Once i've got the rest of the tar out i'm just going to give mine a quick spray in silver.

Cheers Adam.

Yeah a lick of silver paint would also look good!

What Dave says mate, save it all and then blow it all on ITB's.

Should I just get some ITB's fitted and not tell Melanie? ;)

Coincidence seeing you on the M3 this morning mate.

Looking good fletch! Interior has changed a lot of the last month or so and has taken a big step in the right direction! Was thinking about coming to goodwood this weekend to see this and you guys but have already have plans for GTI springfest at santa pod! :(

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good fletch! Interior has changed a lot of the last month or so and has taken a big step in the right direction! Was thinking about coming to goodwood this weekend to see this and you guys but have already have plans for GTI springfest at santa pod! :(

Cheers Nick.

Shame you can't make Goodwood this Sunday mate. I need to have another nosey around your bus soonish ;)

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Not sure what to do next really..

I am still running a pretty much standard car engine wise ATM (Maxogen and k-tec SS stealth/ decat) and don't know if I should get a remap, matched inlets or just wait, save my money until I eventually have ITB's fitted!

Also Thinking about getting a roll cage soonish, as I am not that keen on running harnesses without a cage, for obvious reasons!

Thoughts?

I think you need to decide ultimately what you want for the engine. Not much point getting matched inlets etc only to change for the RS2 or ITBs few months later.

Order I'd do things is passenger seat, arb, engine work, rollcage.

Lol Oh rly?

Yeah hopefully next month i'll be free to go! Got to sort out another run or something soon!

Another breakfast run would be good Nick. :race:

A run on the "Hampshire Ring" would be good or maybe a Guildford to Brighton run. Whatever we do less cars the better, 10 max would be ideal.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I think you need to decide ultimately what you want for the engine. Not much point getting matched inlets etc only to change for the RS2 or ITBs few months later.

Order I'd do things is passenger seat, arb, engine work, rollcage.

A run on the "Hampshire Ring" would be good or maybe a Guildford to Brighton run. Whatever we do less cars the better, 10 max would be ideal.

I'm, not going to do anything to it for a while now fella, until I actually decide what route to go down next with it!

Yeah the 'Hampshire Ring'' + Guildford to Brighton would be great.

....Talking of which I think I am going to take the 172 out for a little blast around the ''Hampshire Ring'' this evening :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
^^^^Dreamer TBQFH :rasp:

I had a good day with the old girl at Castle Combe today. Shame I only did one track session booked TBH.

Pic courtesey of Ukaskew

1245296012_HRNG3-M.jpg

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
*****Quick Update*****

I finally purchased a RS tuner :cool:

Just need to work out how to instal the maps via my MBP when it arrives.

Next on the list..

Matched inlets
More strippage
Adjust the Corbeau revolution seat, as I am sitting a bit close to the pedals/ steering wheel

Never above 25mpg
Roll cage too ;) ??

Let me know how you get on with the tuner Fletch as you know I was quite interested myself in one.

TrackCar & F30 330d
A decent roll cage does stiffen up the car a lot. I could feel the difference after having my cage welded in. I think your deffently going donw the best route. ITB's are great but if you think about what you can buy for all that money then it does seem you get more things.

Your car does look good in that pic 

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
A decent roll cage does stiffen up the car a lot. I could feel the difference after having my cage welded in. I think your deffently going donw the best route. ITB's are great but if you think about what you can buy for all that money then it does seem you get more things.

Your car does look good in that pic 

I've have been looking at getting one of the 'Caged' roll cages in red.

I've have gone down the route of a RS tuner, and matched inlets ATM; but ideally still want some ITB's :cool:

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I gained 30bhp on my TDF ITB setup. 167bhp before, 198bhp after.

Obviously not the same gains that £2.5k would get you on a turbo'd car, but in addition to the extra power, it's also improved the drivability ten fold.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Fletch, to be perfectly honest, if you're building the clio solely to be a bit of fun/track toy, dont bother with ITB's.

They really arent worth the money imho, £2.5k for 15bhp and some noise. Sod that lol.

That's a roll cage, another seat, & a lot of trackdays ;)

I do love the noise that the ITBs make though ;)

Still not driven one yet, so I can't comment on it's drivability, and weather or not they're worth the money. :dapprove:

I gained 30bhp on my TDF ITB setup. 167bhp before, 198bhp after.

Obviously not the same gains that £2.5k would get you on a turbo'd car, but in addition to the extra power, it's also improved the drivability ten fold.

Impressive gains!

If I was to get ITBs then it would be the TDF set up also Owen.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I owned one (well its in bits now) with 195bhp on Jenveys/Omex. If it was that amazing, it would have been put on the Trophy ....

To me, a clio is good when its a cheap/fun car, start chucking thousands at it & you might as well just buy a cheaper/faster car in the 1st place imho.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Don't get me wrong Dave, I'm not disagreeing that for absolute power gains buying a faster car out the box is the more financially astute decision. In fact, if I had the balls to take the RB on track then ITB's wouldn't have been my first choice.

However for me, having spent so much recently on PAS pump, alternator, second aux belt change, water pump etc it wouldn't have made sense to sell as the 182's are essentially worth buttons now, and my car would be worth no more than anyone else's even though it has all new ancillaries.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah caged stuff loom pretty tidy. I ITB'd my 182 for under £2k, not the cheapest its been done but still not bad. Its loads cheaper sourcing second hand parts and building it yourself. Just depends if you know the difference between a spanner and a socket! ;)

Anyway I went down the rs tuner way and it's quite a good little kit. Will deffently feel a difference out of that :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah caged stuff loom pretty tidy. I ITB'd my 182 for under £2k, not the cheapest its been done but still not bad. Its loads cheaper sourcing second hand parts and building it yourself. Just depends if you know the difference between a spanner and a socket! ;)

Anyway I went down the rs tuner way and it's quite a good little kit. Will deffently feel a difference out of that :)

Looking forward to having a play with the RS tuner :approve:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^^^^Dreamer TBQFH :rasp:

I had a good day with the old girl at Castle Combe today. Shame I only did one track session booked TBH.

Pic courtesey of Ukaskew

1245296012_HRNG3-M.jpg

Fletch - sorry I didn't bump into you at Combe. I even missed your track session and I was hoping to get a few piccies... fail. Sadly the Trophy wasn't there as I'm still sorting out a few 'issues' with it and I was in Matt's (TDF) 172 Cup instead. Which I broke on the way home. :( He's a very understanding bloke. Anyways, apologies for the thread hijack.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Just mapped the car via the RS tuner. I just went for the 98 ron map.

I am very very impressed with it, great bit of kit, and the car is pulling even stronger then ever now :cool:

Next up for it, a 12k service, as it's on just under 132k and some matched inlets.