ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For people who mod their cars

I am aware that several insurance companies are about to undertake a project in connection with Toad to inspect around 10,000 cars when policies are taken out.

This follows a successful project in South Africa.

The project will mean that once a policy is taken out a car will be examined, firstly to make sure it exists, to confirm that it is road worthy, to check that all features of the car have been disclosed by the insured etc.

The cost to the insurance company is to be around £35 a time so please ensure when you take out a policy you disclose any modifications as should something happen you could find your policy has been voided and your left out of pocket.

None

I work for an insurance company and its the first time ive heard about it - in the uk anyway lol

Quote: Originally posted by Maxx on 09 April 2004

I work for an insurance company and its the first time ive heard about it - in the uk anyway lol
and so do i, i found out about it by mistake as an e-mail was sent to me in error (i share a similar name with the company i work fors top risk manager). i will post the full text of the e-mail on tuesday

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

whats the chance of them checking for internal mods such as cams, etc etc

iv told them of everything else that is obvious!

Mr2 Roadster

Ummmm... No sir I had no I dear I have a T25 hybrid with cut back shafts, 360 degree bearing thingies and platinium coated blades?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Alymac on 09 April 2004
Quote: Originally posted by James on 09 April 2004Youve got me worried now :eek:

Should I disclose my air freshener or not ?

[/QUOTE]only if its new car smell!

Ye, stick with pine fresh.. they dont charge you for that.

Not a Clio anymore.....

My insurance is through Adrian Flux who made me fill out a modification declaration form over a few pages and wanted photos of my car too. Dunno if thats the norm but an expection sounds a new thing. Just have to declare everything cos they will try every trick to stop a payout no doubt.:cry:

If say you were involved in a crash then if the insurer found out that the car wasnt as they thought it was then they would pay out any claim by a third party but could tell you to feck off.....i know it happens as i have seen my company do it a few times this year

BMW 320d Sport

Adrian Flux definitely have a mod sheet, that you have to fill in. So seeing as mine are all declared, there shouldnt be a problem. But seriously, how are they gonna check for cams etc?

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Ive had one of my cars checked before. A few years ago I had a Lexus IS200, and they wanted to inspect it even though I said I wasnt interested in mods.

That was with a company called Budget. All the cars Ive had insured with Admiral have never been an Issue, the V6, 330 Cabby, 328 Coupe. Never asked.

Fabia vRS

Is this just for ppl who have crashed their cars? or any random person? as i dont see how they have the right to just show up and demand to look round ur car!!

My are all declared btw :) aprt from....... ;)

It will be for new policys, and well if you refuse they might simply cancel your policy! like i said before i will post the e-mail on tuesday morning when i am back at work....

320d M Sport

hmm, i work for an insurance broker and ive not heard of this?

ill check on tuesday, see what i can dig up.

Skoda Fabia vRS

personally i dont have a problem with this, there welcome to inspect my car, ive declared everything........

I dont know if this has been mentioned but CIS have been doin this for awhile, when i first got my fiesta insured they sent around a CIS rep to look the car over before hand.

But they were bloody good when some1 crashed into me, dam good company

Then when i got my Clio they sent around another bloke to check the clio over aswell, and agree on a figure that the car should be insursed for! :sleep:

so wasnt just a one off, im guessing they do this with all their policies?!

im with CIS. had a rep come to my home, but never really checked over the car at all. had alloys on it at the time and he never mentioned anything about them

wouldnt be worried i read a story on how a one insurance broker in this country a while back now voided a claim cos he had a chrome gear knob a modification hence void , serious!!! i suppose its who you is with really

if they want to get out of a payment they will, fook it declare nowt keep it std looking and put all your mods internal :)

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

better declare the 6litre v12 under the bonnet! but seriously, should i decare my lowered sus and k&n filter? at the end of the day daddy is paying ins and he knows that ure sposed to declare but doesnt seem too botherd to!

...well, aslong as i dont crash ill be ok :confused:

-phil-

Quote: Originally posted by S2 PTH on 12 April 2004

but seriously, should i decare my lowered sus and k&n filter? at the end of the day daddy is paying ins and he knows that ure sposed to declare but doesnt seem too botherd to!

You may get away but is it worth risking it?

Some companies and investigators are realy picky and spot any mods.

You dont want to be like Conner on here with an uninsured car after a crash do you?

Quote: ...well, aslong as i dont crash ill be ok
and if someone crashes into you or somet happens that hasnt got anything to do with ur driving?

in the end its not just ur car u have to worry about if u crash and ur insurance is void is it... if u crash into someone else or cause damage to property ur gonna be the one paying the bill if the insurance is void!

Just imagine if u hit a farrari or somet... ud probably end up going to jail! I was bloody lucky I didnt cause any damage to anything except my car, so pplz say to me unlucky that u aint got payment for ur car.... well its my fault so i say lucky it was only my car!

You dont need to worry about liability to the other party, even if you hit a Ferrari your insurance company are obliged to deal with the claim as the certificate indicates that for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act that your insurance company are the insurer. Its only cover for your own car that is made void.

Aly, Im quite concerned about this because with RSA the duty of disclosure regarding modifications is defined on all documentation as follows:

You have told us that your car has not been modified to alter the performance, top speed or acceleration

No reference to cosmetic/styling enhancements or handling/suspension mods, and I was never asked about anything other than top speed/acceleration-improving mods.

So its a bit worrying that theyve been declaring policies void after modifications have surfaced in the instance of a claim. Thinking I might have to renew elsewhere this month then! Could you pm me further details about the e-mail? Thanks!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Good I say, i took my alloys off when i found out that they werent insured.

f**king hate people driving around without insurance, pikeys and what have you, jump in their van, run into someone and leave them screwed.

I know that not declairing mods is slightly different to driving without insurance, but still think its wrong.

The sooner we get insurance discs in the window the better, then the Police can get round to getting uninsured, dangerous, and unliscened drivers off the road the better.

Quote: Originally posted by theICEman on 14 April 2004

You dont need to worry about liability to the other party, even if you hit a Ferrari your insurance company are obliged to deal with the claim as the certificate indicates that for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act that your insurance company are the insurer. Its only cover for your own car that is made void.

What if your TPFT? :D

Ive told CIS about my Alloys, and yet to have a call from them so hopeing they are call with them. and dont really want to tell them that im lowering the car 30mm all round. sooooooooo....... i can get away with not telling them about lowering my car? coz im TPFT? :D

Quote: You dont need to worry about liability to the other party, even if you hit a Ferrari your insurance company are obliged to deal with the claim as the certificate indicates that for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act that your insurance company are the insurer. Its only cover for your own car that is made void.

is this true?????