ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, I was wondering that, probably Porsche+ prices for those! Nice to have a cheap Clio on the side, altough I've seen what window seals cost on a Clio today..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, I was wondering that, probably Porsche+ prices for those! Nice to have a cheap Clio on the side, altough I've seen what window seals cost on a Clio today..

Please don’t look up Porsche window seals then. 😂
Porsche parts are funny things. Anything performance related is absolutely outrageous, I mean full on bonkers expensive. Most OEM parts are bloody steep and then you occasionally find something you expect to be expensive and it’s weirdly cheap.

My window surrounds are £400 a side.
GT3 front brake ducts for example are like £2.60 a side 😂

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I had read that before, about the GT3 brake ducts, funny that!

Worth it though I suppose, you get what you pay for and altough I've never driven a Porsche I know a couple of Porsche owners and they all wouldn't drive anything else.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I had read that before, about the GT3 brake ducts, funny that!

Worth it though I suppose, you get what you pay for and altough I've never driven a Porsche I know a couple of Porsche owners and they all wouldn't drive anything else.

I’ve been fortunate enough to drive a few expensive and special things and I have to say a well kept Porsche drives different to almost everything else. They’re funny things that really get under your skin.
There aren’t many cars I’ve driven that feel so completely engineered the way they do.

Having said that I was talking to a neighbour today and they were supposed to hear me say I love driving my Clio every bit as much as I enjoy the Cayman.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
If I'd ever win a lottery there's quite a couple of cars I'd like to try for different reasons but I think I'd end up having a car built by Singer.. Hmm DLS with that open gear linkage.. I would park that in the living room.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Finally the very last piece of my hub swap arrived in the form of 2 new Bosch ABS sensors.
I cleaned the holes and sprayed with Dynax before installing as hopefully this should stop them ever welding themselves in again.

Also nice to not have my dash lit up like a Christmas tree as it has been for the last week or so. Lol.

964D4406-F595-4748-8F4B-B60095F39B55.jpeg
764A4DA1-CC51-4112-A800-1109FE693694.jpeg
D6BB93A7-AB3D-4C18-B754-6C7428871F2F.jpeg
8E1C9089-63E8-4524-893C-C41079B0EAFD.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is around 34 ish. Frayz is just idling it on the drive ;)

It’s actually dropped due to such short journeys at the moment as it’s only really going to Tesco or the pharmacy.
It usually does 50 miles a day and sits around 36/37 mpg.

I also don’t drive it like a nob, and being an automotive engineer, I tend to drive cars with a higher degree of mechanical sympathy.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Spent the last few days cleaning and prepping some engine bay bits to be painted. Ported/matched inlets, fuel rail guard, engine mount bracket the usual suspects.
Got these in paint yesterday. Overall I think they have come out reasonably well and should help clean the standard engine bay up nicely. They will go back with stainless cap head hardware to add some contrast.

Also decided to add further foam inside and trial fit a U rubber on the top of the rear boot trim. This sits up tight against the rear screen, looks almost OEM and should help stop any further trim rattles from back here.

Next up was beginning the prep on my bullets to refinish in silver. Currently rubbing these down with 1500 wet/dry. I’ll hit them with some Upol adhesion promoter before painting and hopefully should end up with a decent finish.

64912034-70F9-4264-A713-79F2AE012531.jpeg
59A2F11E-ADF2-42BB-963A-55DBC3A00BC0.jpeg
16783372-5DB2-4EDE-868D-F7D0DBA24AA9.jpeg
5D6AFE68-9E9A-453A-8D0A-BEFF204CD68E.jpeg
B25B6EB9-2F0E-4B40-93E9-33B6C1B398A5.jpeg
33250B4F-9467-4106-BE8F-3154CB7DF933.jpeg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Let us know how the U rubber works out, amazes me how many more rattles my 182 has compared to the phase 1. Phase 1 is just so much more solidly built

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Let us know how the U rubber works out, amazes me how many more rattles my 182 has compared to the phase 1. Phase 1 is just so much more solidly built

Will do mate. I fricken hate rattles and any kind of unnecessary NVH. I’m tempted to add some Lightweight Dynamat to the car in a few places just to tighten it up. The honeycomb exhaust mount made a surprising difference to any boom from the rear. I’ll report back on the U rubber. 👌🏼

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Started the strip down for the cam cover paint today.
Spent a good hour or more prepping and cleaning the cover with a mix of various things, Billberry wheel cleaner, iron x, brake cleaner, various wire wheel fittings in a drill to get the cover as clean as possible.
Then rinsed and washed with plenty of hot water.

Next followed a lot of careful drying and about 2 hours of masking. A hateful job but worth it if I were to get any kind of decent finish.

Took a quick pic of a standard RS inlet vs a ported/matched standard inlet.

I also found a lot of worn plastic armour on the engine wiring harness. This I re-armoured and bound in fabric loom tape. The fuel rail orings were also dead so I’ve replaced these now before they become an issue.

Still got a few parts to finish off tomorrow but I think the overall appearance is greatly improved.

28B14EBC-F51E-4374-AC23-B1E02E8F0BAE.jpeg
0298B3EE-A7A6-44AC-8539-A6F66BD91106.jpeg

4E3833CE-9730-49E3-B409-5304BE333233.jpeg

33B10FE0-FD5C-4F22-ABD4-7DE350A02B37.jpeg
443B9CA7-E75E-4750-8C5D-87AB7182E221.jpeg
04F968FC-D7C1-40F2-934C-A7322FDA4598.jpeg
F783BF1F-C08D-4EE7-855F-ACB4A935CF31.jpeg
8DFA68A6-4ADE-4804-8C9C-F8293755A8F1.jpeg
7832DBC3-468C-42C3-81C1-7B33BDFED894.jpeg
58B7307F-6DE1-4A57-A251-CF8A14384491.jpeg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looks great, might have missed it above but what paint have you used for that? Need to re-do mine at somepoint as they are starting to peal with it being sat in the garage, never had this issue when I actually had a Clio I drove.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
VHT wrinkle black. No primer required and as VHT reacts with other paints, it’s needs to be very clean. So Nitromors or blast what you already have and get it back to bare metal.

Then go direct to clean metal. [emoji1360]
Why mate just why do you have to do these things?. It just causes problems for me.. Now im gonna have to take mine apart and bloody well copy you..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So to finish up, I dusted the lifting eyes with some zinc and satin black before refitting those.
There was also some lengths of M6 stainless cap heads I didn’t have in stock so I’ll get some more of those, namely for the coil pack and such.
Boxed the rest of the car up this morning and called it a day on the engine bay for now. I’ve some other ideas but they’re for another day.

Another item I’ve been toying with for a while is a sunstrip. I know these divide opinion, but I had an idea and wanted to try It.
Gone with matte black, and keeping with the same idea I run on my Cayman I have gone with a gloss black accenting decal.
On the Clio I’ve gone with the “Vive Le Sport” logo in the corner.

I wasn’t sold on the sunstrip till I added the decal but in the flesh this looks loads better than even I expected.

I’ve been told I’m to return to work on Monday so tinkering time will slow now. Still, I’m quite pleased with what I’ve been able to achieve over the lockdown so far, I think the cars starting to look how I was hoping it would.

8E51AB41-06F2-440B-A7E4-3525060DE5B6.jpeg
FAE28014-4050-43E3-922B-38BB608942F1.jpeg
68A3498F-AB3D-470C-964F-F80F71ACFEC7.jpeg
79E64D86-D0AB-45E0-A7FF-E8C615306061.jpeg
5C375593-3CDC-4223-B2F8-504AA426D8E7.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
looks great, similar to mine with the crinkle finish. One thing you got to address is the slam panel bonnet catch! I stripped mine rubbed down and painted it silver then rebuilt and lubed up. Sure it will get scuffed you again, but they look minging left alone

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
looks great, similar to mine with the crinkle finish. One thing you got to address is the slam panel bonnet catch! I stripped mine rubbed down and painted it silver then rebuilt and lubed up. Sure it will get scuffed you again, but they look minging left alone

It’s not rust. It’s brown covered in Dynax Wax

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Oh right apologies, it looks like rust in the pictures and the catches do suffer with it a little. Apologies, just your eye is drawn to it in photos with the rest looking so mint

No worries. Most of the cars front and rear panels are covered in Dynax. Doesn’t look pretty but I’m not fussed about that I just want to preserve what I have left lol

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Looks great overall, personally sold on the sun strip. Seems to be the current trend thing to do like bonnet bras at in the past. At least it doesn’t say speedhunters or similar 😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great overall, personally sold on the sun strip. Seems to be the current trend thing to do like bonnet bras at in the past. At least it doesn’t say speedhunters or similar 😂

I was in two minds myself mate.
I was tempted to do an Instagram poll... then I remembered I don’t really care what anyone else thinks anyways. 😂

We’ll see how long it lasts, I can always rip it off and it’s not like I’ve tattooed my face. 😂

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Lovely work Sir. Great modifications so far and the engine bay looks great - exactly how i want mine to look. Currently sitting in my mates garage until it reopens after having cambelt, new boost pipes and general engine tidy up. Can’t wait to drive it and seeing a car as good as this makes me miss it even more. Keep the updates coming :)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So when i first got the car back last June, i quickly popped off the rear door cards to have a look at the extent of any possible corrosion back there, and if i needed to act urgently on anything. Fortunately it all looked okay and i just dumped a load of Waxoyl on it and left it for another day.

Well this morning i revisited the rear sills to have a proper look.
I cleaned down the Waxoil with some thinners and cloths and was very pleased to find the NS absolutely spotless with barely a blemish to remark upon. The OS had some very slight pitting of the paint layer.
So i chose to clean this back with a small wire wheel which very quickly revealed bright silver metalwork with no signs of any rust.

I've coated both sides in Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 for good measure, and will let this cure overnight. Tomorrow i'll paint with Bilt Hamber Electrox, then some satin black and will finish with a good coat of Bilt Hamber Dynax UB.

Nobody will hopefully ever see in these areas but its nice to know I've protected it as best i can.

3D266DB4-625E-4A7A-819F-A51E0EE9FE85.jpeg
4CB87667-D7E3-4B54-A916-4F196A9B1846.jpeg
E46D888D-0FD9-46AF-9096-11B4C030AB97.jpeg
AE412B29-9A21-478D-9A91-4FE5BEC1C56A.jpeg
D89A4A9A-5D5D-460E-8529-0B5A73AD20C3.jpeg
67D72BA9-B7BD-4715-B7C7-28BF0B2F8A8F.jpeg
B349DF5D-C3AE-4EC9-AFFD-66BE2C920ACC.jpeg
29632180-F024-4277-B53C-24A3C82A0BB4.jpeg
1F3F9B5E-5A2A-4A82-9046-477F894C9C1B.jpeg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
How weird.. i looked at mine yesterday and my passenger side is also spotless but like yours my drivers side was about the same as yours.. Ive noticed some others have also just been the driverside that worst for wear.. very strange..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
How weird.. i looked at mine yesterday and my passenger side is also spotless but like yours my drivers side was about the same as yours.. Ive noticed some others have also just been the driverside that worst for wear.. very strange..

If that’s a genuine trend, it’s a difficult one to try and explain as to why.

All I could suggest would be possibly a manufacturing issue, or something thats different on the OS that may cause more moisture to accumulate in that area?

I would suggest there is possibly a grommet or something through this side of the chassis that maybe isn’t present on the NS?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member

Maybe the spray pattern from passing cars in the rain is different on the drivers side because of driving on the left side of the road?