ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Maybe the spray pattern from passing cars in the rain is different on the drivers side because of driving on the left side of the road?
Come to think of it. Would it be ridiculous to think because there is more rain water in the dip in the road on the passenger side, that when we travel along, the water entering the sill sections washes more of the mud build up out and helps keep the tiny drain hole clear, therefore less crude build up to rot inside the pass side.. I love a conspiracy theory..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting find this morning as it rained overnight. I found there to be water droplets from the side moldings on the drivers side and nothing on the passenger side?

Coincidence?

7C7307AA-8153-4F48-8FFB-13AEC5B853B8.jpeg
ED781F3F-92AD-46D9-BA27-6F499D0010A5.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Come to think of it. Would it be ridiculous to think because there is more rain water in the dip in the road on the passenger side, that when we travel along, the water entering the sill sections washes more of the mud build up out and helps keep the tiny drain hole clear, therefore less crude build up to rot inside the pass side.. I love a conspiracy theory..

Both my drains were and always have been clear 🤷🏽‍♂️

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Did you sand that prior to coating with electric or just straight over the hydrate 80?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Got the inners sills in satin black and then lots and lots of Dynax UB.
These come with a longer tube nozzle which means you can get it right around the arches and hard to reach areas.
I also Dynax’d from the door moldings down, so if moisture does indeed come in those areas then it’s all protected.

1FD405B3-B401-4668-B265-E15AEDA3D1FF.jpeg
5C7C1EF9-4CA0-41FC-894D-189BED5FF32F.jpeg
8F8FDE2B-9CB4-4C35-B901-A16E582E99C4.jpeg
D7CFC2FC-782E-4A24-B19C-B3EC34231376.jpeg
F3E11A45-4F28-448D-B7F9-FF902B300014.jpeg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Got the inners sills in satin black and then lots and lots of Dynax UB.
These come with a longer tube nozzle which means you can get it right around the arches and hard to reach areas.
I also Dynax’d from the door moldings down, so if moisture does indeed come in those areas then it’s all protected.

View attachment 1470257View attachment 1470258View attachment 1470259View attachment 1470260View attachment 1470261
Real nice job there buddy.. I treated mine with Hammerite rust restorer and blasted it with half a can of waxoyl.. It lives under a cover on the trailer when not on track so hopefully mine will stay good for a while..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So as of last Monday I’ve been removed from furlough and sent back to work. This means I could finally get some wheel time and enjoy driving the little Clio again.

Thursday night as I pulled off the drive, and heard what I thought was a knock from the OS front. Bugger!!!
First look I could get at the car was Friday morning, and I found my issue at the first thing I suspected, the lower ball joint. Double bugger!

The bottom ball joint had a good 0.5 / 1mm of vertical play in it. These bearings were brand new from McGill Motorsport when I fitted the roll centre correction hubs only a few weeks back. Unable to get access to a press at work during the lockdown, they were pressed in by a local machine shop. Knowing they’re an interference fit i assumed, although unlikely, that the play was the ball in the outer race and had worn prematurely.

I sent McGill an email with a video and details of my issue of which they responded right away and got me a replacement bearing sent out FOC. Excellent.

They also asked me to return the faulty item which I was happy to once removed so they could inspect it and discuss with their supplier as to why it may have failed in less than 200 road miles.

I also didn’t want to rule out the bearing carrier having a possible tolerance issue or being out of round. So called Alan at Bridgecraft Motorsport who machined the parts originally, and bought a new bearing and carrier. I asked him to send it on a next day delivery so I could be sure to get the car fixed today. Again, excellent customer service from them.

So this morning I removed the faulty bearing and carrier. The bearing bore is a slight interference fit on the hub extender so used a small two legged puller to remove it. Happy to see it came off without issue. No reason for it not to be, but also pleased to see the hub extender was mint with no material pick up from the bearing.

My OCD was having issues with the new bearing carrier being a yellow zinc finish and my other parts are a silver zinc, but i coped admirably and fitted you the new carrier, torqued up and am delighted to say the knocking as gone.

On inspection I couldn’t see any obvious issue with the previous bearing or carrier but removed the circlip in preparation to press the faulty bearing out on Monday.
To my amazement the bearing slid straight out with very little hand pressure. Then to my amazement and annoyance, I saw the old bearing had what appear to be sanding marks on the outside of the outer race. It would appear these have been linished down to fit in the housings rather than pressed in as they should have been. FFS!!

I haven’t gone back to the machine shop as frankly I can’t be bothered with the conversation over a bearing.

So, great that the knocking has gone, and pleased there is no play in the NS bearing. But I’ll be calling McGill first thing Monday morning to explain my embarrassment in what I found, and pay for the replacement item they sent me FOC. Clearly this is not a issue with their part.

I had also rubbed down and painted my original door bullets in Moondust silver and clear coated. They’re okay considering I’m not a painter but I’m too fussy and wasn’t happy to refit them. I enquired about a new set from Renault but at £180 a pair, that wasn’t a route I was prepared to go down. So set about finding the mintest pair of original bullets I could. Now they’re fitted, the colour coded ones had grown on me and if they had been a good colour match, I may have kept them.

So with that done, I gave the old girl a wash as it’s been driven to work in the Essex rain all week and was looking filthy.

EC176888-2E46-47A6-B576-AA271D477A60.jpeg
04D638BE-9DDF-4951-B381-CE5B2D9ABAD8.jpeg
99A1FFD7-C19B-4F12-981E-2077A069236A.jpeg
388BBC5D-AD12-48C5-BF6E-0ABC50634B00.jpeg
7709B90A-7628-4D57-B2BD-ADD36B070BCE.jpeg
3871281D-6485-440F-BF4F-EA6EC3DC1969.jpeg
3B858DC6-2B51-482F-904C-E103A374F64C.jpeg
73CA5424-4CDF-41BE-844D-32CC4257A948.jpeg
761AF536-E0BF-4020-B96D-C0E534F4C349.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Pfff that's a lot of work and hassle just because someone else's poor workmanship..

Glad you got it sorted though, must great to be able to drive it now with all the goodies fitted!

clio 182 FF
Just had a quick look at this thread, very impressive work. I have just picked up my second 182 (had one 9 years ago) and you have inspired me....I don not have quite the same attention to detail though sadly.

Are you also on pistonheads? Think i was looking at pictures of your Cayman R that other day, i am looking at getting a normal Gen 2 S soon .

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a quick look at this thread, very impressive work. I have just picked up my second 182 (had one 9 years ago) and you have inspired me....I don not have quite the same attention to detail though sadly.

Are you also on pistonheads? Think i was looking at pictures of your Cayman R that other day, i am looking at getting a normal Gen 2 S soon .
Yes I’m on PH. Although only a thread for the Clio on there. Nothing much on my Cayman as frankly there’s not a lot to say about it. Lol.

clio 182 FF
I haven't been right through the thread, but do you have any spacers fitted on your Clio? I am looking at 2118's and yours sit perfectly.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't been right through the thread, but do you have any spacers fitted on your Clio? I am looking at 2118's and yours sit perfectly.

Yes 10mm rear axle spacers and 16mm hubcentric fronts. Plus I have a roll centre kit which adds another 5mm per side up front. So the fronts are probably out 20mm or so.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So this week not long after I’ve fixed the ball joint issue, I turn the steering on the drive and hear the weirdest of creeking noises. Only happened on right lock, not on left, wasn’t rotational and didn’t increase frequency with speed. It was just a weird creeking

A noise that didn’t really lend itself to any of the vehicles systems as I knew them.
It had me kinda puzzled and I decided I couldn’t be arsed to look just now, and as the weather was nice, I took the Cayman to work this week. Haven’t driven it since long before lockdown so it was nice to get back in it.

Anyway, tonight I set myself the task of finding and fixing this damn creek. Now apart from the ARB bushes (to be done soon). Every single Bush, bearing, mount and balljoint on the car is brand new since last July.
I had the car up and wheels both in compression and droop through all the ranges of motion yet couldn’t replicate the noise without the suspension loaded under the vehicles weight.

Then I had a random thought about the coilover covers and gave them a twist by hand. Just check out this noise of the damper cover creeking on the springs Powdercoating when the steering is applied. It was obviously caught up top by the topmount and the damper was rotating in the cover.

Covers off washed, dampers checked over and spanner checked. Coated in ACF50 and covers refitted. Back on the floor I’m a happy boy again as she’s silent.

B40D445D-87FC-439E-936A-6ED77460A1A0.jpeg
5F56DD5F-E4A4-46BC-99A7-A2E01A23668A.jpeg

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Great stuff, what springs rates are you running and how does it handle?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Great stuff, what springs rates are you running and how does it handle?
70nM front 40nM rear as specified by Josh Cook as this is apparently what he ran on his own road car. I have 12 clicks of adjustment on these and the front is currently set at 7 and the rear at 6. It’s pretty firm for a road car but changes direction and corners lovely. I may go slightly softer on them but still yet to have a proper play. Damping is firm but very compliant.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Latest tinker has been giving the heat shields a jolly up.
Nothing fancy, just removed, scrubbed with degreaser, 2 coats of Zinc primer and then 2 coats of VHT silver. I made up some large load spreaders with some spare Nimbus sheet and refitted with new hardware. Far from show standard but a bit fresher than it was.
Cleaned the 3rd exhaust bracket and painted that in gloss black too. Again refitted with new hardware

Also added some large trim clips to the bumper corners as I no longer use those mounts running R888s with the wider track and low tide height.
Then had the idea of adding some 6mm trim clips to the rear bumper/arch liners. It always annoyed me that they flapped about but now they provide so much more structure to the rear bumper and look totally OEM.
Subaru spares coming in good use.
F6B601F1-5F79-4842-949C-0A7697FE3E2B.jpeg
BE8A1FC0-A480-4E40-A7A6-C00EC5837DCA.jpeg
9D162C72-03D5-4DCC-81DC-7DB83BC2A48D.jpeg
9298DA12-71FB-4152-BA39-245799E30E12.jpeg
09C27088-E4CD-462C-A5A9-AFA05005131D.jpeg
A11034DA-9B19-4F03-8DCF-96D0BEB8E417.jpeg
135DC5DB-224E-4C31-B785-AC339FFEE9DA.jpeg
5D8A52B0-41FD-4E2B-9083-3D61993361EE.jpeg
F4A76600-E15E-4E16-9D12-DF82756DCAEF.jpeg
50630632-2D8D-4D0F-8685-A188C75C231C.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Small but satisfying job today. When I originally owned the car I was always careful around the delicate and rather fragile fuse box clip.
These were fragile at the best of times, and sure enough, when I bought the car back, this had been broken off.
I’d been meaning to replace the fuse box for a while but for reasons even I don’t know, I hadn’t done it.

Happy to say these are available brand new from Renault for only £23.23. So today I set about changing this over. I took the opportunity to clean the bodywork behind the fusebox and fabric tape some of the harness where the protection had worn.
I also took apart all the plugs and relays to give the contacts a Fibreglass brush and Refit with contact grease to keep any moisture at bay.

As said, a silly small job but satisfying knowing it’s new and no longer broken.
AF7AF21A-1EDC-4E96-8299-58E9E567C797.jpeg
72FB55A2-8B8B-4E01-82BC-85F8C6B92719.jpeg
BE33CB0D-EC6E-4D02-94AC-0613E26A415D.jpeg
60069A96-E302-4368-9495-9B9877D62DBD.jpeg
E7D0210D-4F3C-4A26-BC56-0152158E6052.jpeg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Some really good updates as usual. Love the mods you have done on the car and the colour 😍 Excellent attention to detail 👍

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Nice job on the fuse box cover, makes a big difference doesn’t it.

Awesome work on those exhaust heat shields too Frayz, love the attention to detail.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So you may or may not have read the thread discussing brake pad choices.
My pads of choice arrived today, I chose these based on my own experience as I’ve used them for years on my other cars.

Pagid RSL29s front
Pagid RS4-2 rears

I also dropped my black Turinis a the powdercoaters yesterday, these have been black for almost 10 years. They’re coming back silver and shoots add a different look to the little orange box.

B9C0E874-C215-4E0B-BBE5-47B07EFD7CD2.jpeg

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If you don’t use them properly yes they squeal like a mofo. However I’ve used them in my Impreza for years, my Mini GP and my Cayman R also has RS29s all round and none of them squeal at all.
Also had no problems running RSL29.

Saying that I have RSL19’s in my rear brakes and they’re noisier than my Project Mu racing pads..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Also had no problems running RSL29.

Saying that I have RSL19’s in my rear brakes and they’re noisier than my Project Mu racing pads..
Some do, some don’t. However I’ve always taken the view that If they squeal it’s a reminder of 2 things.

1) You have proper pads in there, so a bit of squeal isnt a big deal.
2) You’re not using them hard enough.

Hand on heart, I’ve never had an issue. You wait, now I’ve said that, these are gonna squeal like a pig. 😂

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
This thing is minty fresh. As others have said some great ideas used to freshen up your car....some of which i will be borrowing when mine finally returns from my mates workshop :)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
This thing is minty fresh. As others have said some great ideas used to freshen up your car....some of which i will be borrowing when mine finally returns from my mates workshop :)

Thanks a lot mate, i still have about a million things i want to do with it. So many ideas for stuff, its just a case of getting enough time to work out how to do certain things.
Like all of us i suspect just not enough time or money.