ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

frazjam's Ph1 172

Cup In bits
Good stuff on the loom but are you putting a test on it. you'll need a working h/brake light.

Go easy on the the seat rails, you will be left with Swiss cheese for a floor, try get an extra long spot weld cutter too and it will be easy. I would advise to get motorsport-uk seat rails as they have a sliding captive nut that is very handy for seat positioning.

172 Cup (Track)
Removing spot welds is a nightmare!! We decided to run 3mm plate from front floor brace over rear and weld to floor, means we can have lots of seating positions if required and is a fair bit easier job!

I got the plate from Magma, 3x50mm in 1 metre lengths.

1977E015-ADE0-491E-884A-73860ED500B6_zpsvn5duncm.jpg

Cup In bits
That's a real simple idea Gaz, I don't think it will ever pass for any MSA event, the seat fixings have to be tubes of a certain wall thickness and CDS iirc.

172 Cup (Track)
That's a real simple idea Gaz, I don't think it will ever pass for any MSA event, the seat fixings have to be tubes of a certain wall thickness and CDS iirc.

I hope your joking!!! :eek:

Where is that in the regs??

Cup In bits
I hope your joking!!! :eek:

Where is that in the regs??

I hope I'm wrong as its ideal but I seem to remember it needing to be tubing and from the sill to the exhaust/gearbox tunnel. Motorsport UK and Demon Tweeks sell the kits.

I couldnt say where in that bloody book, I try not to look at it. I just ask scruts and keep my eyes open at Knockhill.

172 Cup (Track)
I hope I'm wrong as its ideal but I seem to remember it needing to be tubing and from the sill to the exhaust/gearbox tunnel. Motorsport UK and Demon Tweeks sell the kits.

I couldnt say where in that bloody book, I try not to look at it. I just ask scruts and keep my eyes open at Knockhill.

Thankfully, your talking p1sh. Haha.

Just checked regs, no mention of cds or anything, although there is regs ours should meet them- 3mm steel minimum.

Just seen aswell- 6 point harness needs 6 eyelets, i just fitted 5 thinking 2 crutch would be fine on one. Regs are a joke!

I'm getting tube between gearbox/sill and then plate between for a similar idea.

The guy in the unit next to is builds fords (2 of which race in the classics) and it's him that's said this and is welding them in for me

Got some more stripping done, tidied up wires, tucked them away. Need to get a drill bit to remove the bars under the seats to make way for the weld ins, then cut off and buff all the old threads sticking out everywhere that are no longer needed!
vaguvera.jpg

py5y2u7u.jpg

eseqe3a4.jpg

Also got a template made up to fit the gearbox cover switches into the radio position

pygamapy.jpg

Will get that made of out plastic by a mate, then slip it into the old radio postion!

Ordered my Polycarbs last night, and aerocatch we for the bumper.

Along with 20ltrs 10w60 oil since she's getting old and mainly seeing only track!

172 Cup (Track)
Your getting as serious as us! Haha. Did you run it with an interior until now?

What coilovers you using?

My windows came from ACW yesterday, not removed the protective cover yet but they look well made and fronts fit nicely, theyre a good buy!

Why you keeping the cigarette lighter, like to spark one up round Knockhill? :race:

Nah jus had buckets and standard door cards, everything else was stripped, carpet, tar, headlining etc.

She's on KW V2s, love them!

Ooo I will definitely need to pop down for a look if that's ok? How you planning on fitting?

Keeping it as it will still be used on the road, and most likely a euro trip in the summer, so phone charger and sat nav will need it!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looking good mate, need to get my finger out again and get something done. Drew a list up of things to do which is a start.

You'll need a cigarette socket for a Racelogic V Box if you get that serious.

172 Cup (Track)
Nah jus had buckets and standard door cards, everything else was stripped, carpet, tar, headlining etc.

She's on KW V2s, love them!

Ooo I will definitely need to pop down for a look if that's ok? How you planning on fitting?

Keeping it as it will still be used on the road, and most likely a euro trip in the summer, so phone charger and sat nav will need it!

At least you had already done all the s**t part, tar etc!!

Front windows are a good fit in the seal so a couple of screws to hold them up will be fine, for the rear i bought the bonding kit, did you not see that? Comes with stuff to put the black surround back round the windows edge too. Ive just updated my project thing, a pic in there of them- but protective film on so not very good!

Im keeping mine road legal too, but i think it'll be torture going far on the road!!!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I think with the seals and a couple of screws from the inside you should bet a good seal on the front windows , I had to put serews in from both sides as my doors are a bit more flexy.

Looking good mate, need to get my finger out again and get something done. Drew a list up of things to do which is a start.

You'll need a cigarette socket for a Racelogic V Box if you get that serious.

Good thing I'm keeping it then!

Hurry up and crack on with yours! We need Clio filled groups at trackdays haha

At least you had already done all the s**t part, tar etc!!

Front windows are a good fit in the seal so a couple of screws to hold them up will be fine, for the rear i bought the bonding kit, did you not see that? Comes with stuff to put the black surround back round the windows edge too. Ive just updated my project thing, a pic in there of them- but protective film on so not very good!

Im keeping mine road legal too, but i think it'll be torture going far on the road!!!
I've only got fronts so it's just how to hold them up!

I think with the seals and a couple of screws from the inside you should bet a good seal on the front windows , I had to put serews in from both sides as my doors are a bit more flexy.

Got any pics of that matey?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Good thing I'm keeping it then!

Hurry up and crack on with yours! We need Clio filled groups at trackdays haha

Stopped over the winter as I couldn't be ar5ed getting soaked working on the drive. Will start again soon.

Been making some parts and pushing on with the inlet manifold and brakes. Things I can do in the garage.

Honestly cant wait to get it back out on track but still sooo much to do!! :dapprove:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I don't sorry I'm home from Norway next week so can get some then but it's easy enough once you get them in place it becomes clear.

Removing spot welds is a nightmare!! We decided to run 3mm plate from front floor brace over rear and weld to floor, means we can have lots of seating positions if required and is a fair bit easier job!

I got the plate from Magma, 3x50mm in 1 metre lengths.

1977E015-ADE0-491E-884A-73860ED500B6_zpsvn5duncm.jpg

I did this but with 6mm thick, mine slowly started to bend backwards so the seat looked as it was reclined and twisted the bits you are welded onto. Mine was bolted though but did sit level. I wouldnt advise anyone to do it like that!

I did this but with 6mm thick, mine slowly started to bend backwards so the seat looked as it was reclined and twisted the bits you are welded onto. Mine was bolted though but did sit level. I wouldnt advise anyone to do it like that!

Not a fan either tbh. They're not there designed to take them like that so hence why I'm going for weld in bars and they are coming out.

172 Cup (Track)

You bent 6mm plate!!? I doubt if it was fixed in any decent way that could happen, why on earth you used 6mm in the first place!?

3mm plate is strong enough to make car ramps never mind hold 37kg a side.

i can assure you they do not budge, and have already been passed by scruitineering ;)

The tubes do look the best way by far, but these will certainly do the job.

172 cup, Impreza P1
You bent 6mm plate!!? I doubt if it was fixed in any decent way that could happen, why on earth you used 6mm in the first place!?

i can assure you they do not budge, and have already been passed by scruitineering ;)

IMO, a 3mm bit of plate sticking out about 200mm from any support structure passing scrutineering is very surprising. There is no support which is allowing flex which over time will either bend or break the welds. Either way, it is not going to end well on track. Under hard acceleration and braking with the twisting of going round bends could weaken over time.

Seat subframes or welded bars for me.

because I had it there so I used it, it was fixed perfectly well too Thankyou.

But mine didn't pass scrutineering, it also didn't pass the real life test.

If your happy with it so be it, It makes no difference to me!!

172 Cup (Track)
Haha yeh, it isnt a bit plate hanging over the edge like a diving board.. :headno:

Its bent down and out and welded to the floor, like a dog leg as Neil says.

Stop girning over it, its secure for fu ck sake, or id change it wouldnt i. :rasp:

172 cup, Impreza P1
Haha yeh, it isnt a bit plate hanging over the edge like a diving board.. :headno:

Stop girning over it, its secure for fu ck sake, or id change it wouldnt i. :rasp:

Ha, as long as you're happy. :p

Mine was, well kinda hung over the back ever so slightly.

Once I had seen the picture of it then i stopped fearing for your life haha!

It won't be as far as when you came to my house but still a good few bourse lol. Not that I'm aware of, but I plan on getting to croft as much as I can this year & I on a few others do too.

Ye had a wee google there, might try and get down for one, I'll speak to the wee man and see if he is game with the sunny.

Well had a busy few days, got the new nylon rack bushes on.
Got new track rods and ends fitted.
Got my old cup wishbones blasted, painted, new polybushes and ball joints.
Painted my hubs
Painted the ends of the arb.
Painted the drive shafts.
Painted the calipers.
Some pics!

ary7ury3.jpg

y6aqe4a5.jpg

enega7a2.jpg

derytyda.jpg

eju8agy5.jpg

y4uhe3u5.jpg

ranyty3e.jpg

I'm now really just waiting on the cage, which should be the coming week, I can then get that in, door cards and Polycarbs in.
PMS shifter fitted, and back on the ground ready for alignment.

Hopefully for the 8th of March for the first trackday of the year!