ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Freezing MBP

Revels Mum & Sister
I have had my MBP Pro since June and recently the little b@stard has started freezing. From time to time (Randomly) the mouse will stop responding, however the whole thing has not frozen as you can still see animations on Websites etc still working. Then after a little while it will start working again (10-20 secs).

Occasionly it will lock up and nothing is clickable at all, shutting the lid 9/10 times and opening kicks it back to life. It should not be doing this!! Are there are known issues or is it more likely to be a software thing? I am loathed to reload it at the moment as it would be a load of faff.

I also do not want to trudge 50 miles to Apple for a Genius appointment if not needed?

Any Apple gimps heard about this. A google search reveals a few threads but for much older MBP's

I dunno mate but mine is also performing like a POS.

My trashcan is fucked. Try to remove anything more that a few files at a time and it just eats its own head. Plus it's just generally s**t :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I get mouse lag upon startup, or when booting up after the battery dies but that's about it. Is this just randomly? What are you running whilst this happens?

Megane 225 F1
Mine lags on start up too. Open lid and it's a few seconds before the mouse moves. But I think this is normal.

Revels Mum & Sister
Yeah completely random mate! No set time or process. Usually it is surfing the net however it can be when in iPhoto, iTunes etc. Like Roy I have bugger all on there, nothing dodgy running in the background and it will do this numerous times over the time period it is being used.

Revels Mum & Sister
This is not lag. I can be using it for 30 mins and then bam it freezes. This is not Lag as I am usually not doing anything that would stress the system in the slightest.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Seeing all these problems with your lots newer age macs puts me in the dumps!- I used a Apple Tower G5 pro for 3 years in a studio not on probelm...

Had my G4 Quicksilver and Cube for 4 year + each, again no problems...

My Imac is old now, but I want a MBP for ease around the house.

But maybe I should try the newer Imac

Revels Mum & Sister
It could well be software bugs in Lion. Do not let it put you off. Anything Tech wise has problems. I agree I am a little dissapointed as between the numerous iphones, Macbooks, iMacs I have owned over the years I havent had a single problem. However I accept that this is what happens sometimes.

I guess to rule it out I need to do a Fresh Install and if that does nothing of we go to the Apple store.

I love Lion and wouldn't want to go back to Snow Leopard, but it does sometimes feel a bit buggy for sure. Makes you lose faith in it, mainly because normally Apple software is pretty much flawless IMPE. Hopefully it will stabilise as it matures. Still better than Windows by a factor of infinity.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine does this too. Sometimes up to a minute out of 'sleep', screen comes on but it just sits there frozen.

It's 3 weeks old... I'm just living with it for now as it's not really the worst thing ever. If it gets worse, or I get fed up I'll take it back.

Revels Mum & Sister
Sounds like the HDD is on its way out.

I have run a couple checks and I do not think it is that. I have diagnosed many a dodgy hard drive and it is not really displaying anything or turning up anything that would suggest it is.

Why would I need to ring Applecare right away? I have 7 months warranty left not exactly a desperate rush....

£279 to extend, if a hard drive fails, super drive then I can replace these myself after the period for less than that. Plus to be honest my household insurance covers accidental damage anyway.

Revels Mum & Sister
Im assuming you do the usual cleanmymac/oynx stuff.

Yes dude. It is almost like at times the trackpad stops working intermittently. For instance last night it happened and Spotify continued to play music and Youtube carried on doing its thing.

Revels Mum & Sister
Plug in an external mouse to test whether its just the pad that dies???

i.e plug mouse in, use pad all day, when pad freezes, try to use mouse?

Good shout sir! I will give this a bash tonight, should rule it out.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone still having issues with this ?

I turned off the 'put hard drives to sleep when possible' in System Preferences > Energy Saver, and it seems to have sorted it out as I haven't noticed it in a while.

Not sure if it's costing me an extra 3p a year in electricity or what now.. but ho hum.