ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From Dci to 172 Cup

172 Cup
Hello,

Now that insurance has dropped a considerable amount, I can now afford to insure a 172 cup :), so left a deposit last week and went 180 miles to Sheffield to pick it up! It's a 53 plate on only 65,000 miles.

It needs a few things doing to it:
Cambelt is due in 5000 miles
wheels are in very bad shape so they're getting refurbed.
rear discs and pads need replacing
offside bottom ballpoint
de tint the back windows
door mouldings resprayed

These getting done on Thursday/Friday when I'm off work, I have already fitted some Eibach sportlines last night. Everything's standard apart from it has drilled and grooved front discs with red stuff pads and an Itg panel filter.

mods to come:
ktec induction kit
half leather interior
new steering wheel or refurb this one
ktec recessed exhaust
land maybe xenons.

have only got sellers pics and some crappy pics of mine.

Thanks for looking!

My other car

8462820636_aa12304b91_z.jpg

image by Blacky950, on Flickr

8489275147_b20b8b2509_z.jpg

8489275191_d717212705_z.jpg

8489275337_892d60fd7a_z.jpg

Standard

8489275251_845e0083d1_z.jpg

Sportlines fitted

8489275281_b847c7c0f7_z.jpg

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The DCI is hella tidy. Did you get the 172 for a good price? Curious as to why you'd travel 180 miles to get a car that has a few things that need sorting unless it was cheap - given that there were probably a couple of dozen 172's available nearer to you. Anyway, regardless, given the DCI, I'm sure you'll treat it well, hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: Also, add a front splitter to your list ;)

172 Cup
Looks a good base to start on mate, will keep an eye on it :)

Cheers :) yeah needs a bit of work but nothing I can't sort ha

Nice upgrade. The dci is lovely so if the cup follows suit it will be a stunner. Enjoy it.

Thanks mate!

Looks good buddy, you liking it? So jelous :p The plans sound spot on!

Cheers Wayne, not insured till Friday so I haven't had a proper drive in it yet! Dad drove back from Sheffield because I couldn't get 24 hour insurance on it :(. 45mpg though ;)

The DCI is hella tidy. Did you get the 172 for a good price? Curious as to why you'd travel 180 miles to get a car that has a few things that need sorting unless it was cheap - given that there were probably a couple of dozen 172's available nearer to you. Anyway, regardless, given the DCI, I'm sure you'll treat it well, hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: Also, add a front splitter to your list ;)

Thanks, yeah got it for a good price and yeah there is one or too kicking about, but this was a cheap and low mileage and all the work gets done by me or my dad so it's a good project for me too, yeah forgot about that and painting the calipers black!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Also my advice... Keep the Cup Interior, FAR more supportive when pushing on.. The bolsters in the half leather seats are too soft imo, dont hold you as well..

172 Cup
Just because I'm under 21 there's only two companies that do short term insurance for under 21, so was going to cost a fortune!

172 Cup
So Thursday, I got the cambelt kit fitted, bottom ball joint along with rear discs and pads, needed a new aerial base too because the nut had rounded off inside, Freed off the load sensing valve too.

Friday I fitted the wind deflectors from my old car as well as the foot rest, Renault sport mats. Just did a general tidy up of the car cleaned up the door bullets they look new again! Also took all the rear tints which I think looks loads cleaner, got myself a Fabia splitter too, Swapped all the interior LEDs bulbs, sidelights and headlights bulbs too

My pipercross air filter showed up today just waiting on the silicone 90s to show up so I can make a ktec equivalent induction kit :)

And now insured on it now too so went for a blast round the lakes didn't get any pictures though :( here's some I've just taken today hopefully going to detail it tomorrow :)

Badges before

8499904293_ca8447b0b7_z.jpg

After
8499904323_c1470bf4a2_z.jpg

Tints before

8499904163_e2fbdafe6e_z.jpg

After
8499904223_f5fb687d53_z.jpg

8499904441_c48a562bed_z.jpg

8499904383_d93da89ae0_z.jpg

8501037258_91949eda5e_z.jpg

172 Cup
Also my advice... Keep the Cup Interior, FAR more supportive when pushing on.. The bolsters in the half leather seats are too soft imo, dont hold you as well..

Only just seen this post now, yeah I'm noticed this, will be keeping them until I can afford some trendlines ;)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Haha maybe they last a lot longer when not being tunned and ragged to within an inch of its life. Hybrid turbo set up aswell, it's full on overBoosting lol

Good update, sounds like youve tidied it up a lot. Diamond vision bulbs are full of win, few of my mates have got them and they have a good light output and look great which is always a bonus :p

172 Cup
Haha maybe they last a lot longer when not being tunned and ragged to within an inch of its life. Hybrid turbo set up aswell, it's full on overBoosting lol
yeah probably! Nice one what sort of power is it kicking out?

Good update, sounds like youve tidied it up a lot. Diamond vision bulbs are full of win, few of my mates have got them and they have a good light output and look great which is always a bonus :p
yeah it's getting there mate, wheels need refurbishing badly though! And yeah there good bulbs.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yeah probably! Nice one what sort of power is it kicking out?
was mapped to deaths door, 128bhp. had to have renault reset the ecu to stock as i bought new injectors and it wouldnt run.

will get it mapped again eventually, got a manual boost controller atm to stop it going to much over standard boost figures.

172 Cup
was mapped to deaths door, 128bhp. had to have renault reset the ecu to stock as i bought new injectors and it wouldnt run.

will get it mapped again eventually, got a manual boost controller atm to stop it going to much over standard boost figures.

You can do it ha, the maximum you can get is 130bhp because of the injectors isn't it? Impressive stuff no the less though!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yeah, 130 bhp and the injectors have ran out of injector cycles something or other. can change them to vag injectors but need the head machining, which is expensive lol.

plans are to get this running properly again and then go find a flame red ph2 172 :)

172 Cup
I remember reading something like that my engine was standard apart from a panel filter ha!

Nice, I wanted a 182 but the difference in insurance prices was a stupid amount :( but I'm really happy with this!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yeah, iv done everything ( almost ) on my engine. apart from an air filter, i just have a standard one with a new re-routed air feed for the box.

i thought the 182's is/was cheaper to insure ?:S tbh , you've got a cracking base to work with, bit of time and it'll be all shiney shiney again :)

172 Cup
I bet you still got a decent mpg out of it as well haha

You would of though so! More than £700 more to insure :( elephants the best deal with me though :) its shiny shiny now ha massive shame about the wheels though really let's it down at the moment!

8503849977_4a31dfa8f3_z.jpg

8503849919_8a1a3813e5_z.jpg

8503849853_7c6e78c826_z.jpg

yeah, iv done everything ( almost ) on my engine. apart from an air filter, i just have a standard one with a new re-routed air feed for the box.

i thought the 182's is/was cheaper to insure ?:S tbh , you've got a cracking base to work with, bit of time and it'll be all shiney shiney again :)

I heard 182's are cheaper to insure but i tried compare the market and the 172 cups are far cheaper to insure, the differance from a 172 cup to a 182 for me was £1000 lol!! I thought having no abs would make the insurance shoot right up! :S

172 Cup
Bought all my parts to make my own 'ktec induction kit' so had it fitted this weekend with a quick clean of the bay, the sound is unreal :) inlets need polishing up so that's a job going to get done soon.

8524754375_317c896e85_z.jpg

and the pikey catch tank for now

8524754463_ab1903cec6_z.jpg

172 Cup
Bit of an update:

Bought some new genuine cup shocks and fitted them, found out one was a genuine fitted and one different one which was longer. Had also bought an engine cover which tides the bay up a lot more.

8566539738_d6edd20457_z.jpg

8566539876_d4e06b78e4_z.jpg

8566539964_63dcea5b8a_z.jpg

I bought some mondial blue side strips as well because my other front ones looked like they weren't lacquered.
The difference:

8566540004_e4d58f2a9f_z.jpg

I will be getting my wheels refurbished soon and can't decided on colour so did a few photoshops.

8566544708_172851964e_z.jpg

8566544664_1deb945612_z.jpg

8566540122_28ccac3bf9_z.jpg

8566540088_6449cbce19_z.jpg

172 Cup
Noticed when changing gear sometimes I had a fairly loud knock turned out to be a worn dogbone mount, so ordered some powerflex bushes from Euro car parts for £31 +vat which I thought was a good price! Got them the next day too.

8646642820_c19f149d17_z.jpg

So got the old bushes knocked out and and gave it a good clean with a wire wheel and fitted. Got to say it has improved the gear changes loads and the engine doesn't jump around as much! Everybody says theres a lot more vibration inside the car but I can't really notice it tbh.

8646642870_67dc0103e5_z.jpg

Had a day off work yesterday, and had this dropped out for me perfect timing! Ktec recessed supersport system.

8646642932_923c7d9132_z.jpg

Got it fitted the same day, along with yellow daves powerflex exhaust mount fix as mine was bodged with the wrong shaped rubber mount.
Took a bit of cutting of the bumper to get the trim on should have had a Dremel but all sorted now! It's sitting a bit low in the pictures but did a bit of adjustment this morning and it sits perfect now :)

8646643064_147f96d551_z.jpg

8645614081_4d8f2ef5f3_z.jpg

its an awesome exhaust a lot quieter than I was expecting but sounds good now thinking of decatting it too.

also had my private plate transferred from my old car yesterday with a 3/4 plate upfront and the added black inserts on the bumper too finish the front end off.

8646643136_2fb4c8fe8d_z.jpg

Caleb

Cup In bits
Your car is getting there mate. Would you or are you selling the DCI? if so how much?

Have you got some links to the parts too for your filter setup and what you used on the bullets, I tried cleaning mine but they ain't looking too hot.

172 Cup
Your car is getting there mate. Would you or are you selling the DCI? if so how much?

Have you got some links to the parts too for your filter setup and what you used on the bullets, I tried cleaning mine but they ain't looking too hot.

Thanks :) I've got it on ebay for sale I know it's not the best add in the world, looking for £1600 Ono.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...4747181?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac3559aad

Bought all from boostjunkies apart from the filter from regal Motorsport. Follow this guide mate from 106ben
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...induction-set-up/page2&highlight=Boostjunkies

​and just used iron x and g101 then a coat of wax and brought them up a treat :)

Cup In bits
Thanks :) I've got it on ebay for sale I know it's not the best add in the world, looking for £1600 Ono.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...4747181?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac3559aad

Bought all from boostjunkies apart from the filter from regal Motorsport. Follow this guide mate from 106ben
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...induction-set-up/page2&highlight=Boostjunkies

​and just used iron x and g101 then a coat of wax and brought them up a treat :)

Cheers for the help, Ibwould have been untested for around that money if the wheels, suspension etc wasn't removed now.

Do you have the OD of the breather hose that is supposed to go into the inlet elbow to hand? What did you do with yours, small filter, can of juice?