ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gave her a good clean today :)

172 Sport
I have copied this from another forum I post on, where they drive cars and don't clean them...So they cannot comprehend the idea of clay and what it could possible be used for other than blue tac.

The pooch gave me a hand to clean the Clio today. The original owner (one owner from new) had Autoglym Lifeshine (or equiv) applied from new, and believed he didn't have to polish the car. So 100K and 11 years later the paint was looking shocking. When I picked up the car I didn't think it was metallic.

20120322_131828.jpg

Clay nonbelievers, TAKE NOTE.

You know when people say clay doesn't do anything you can see and what's the point, and then somebody who loves paint correction, detailing and generally cleaning the f**k out of cars pops up and babbles on about contaminates and what it does. Pictures speak 1000 words and all that jazz -

20120322_115355.jpg

You'll all agree that my Clio looked pretty f**king spanking in the photo's?

484025_10150856751795130_709735129_12638778_1952881931_n.jpg

Well after two washes and rinses, a spray down with Demon Shine and then a microfiber drying I managed to pull all of that crap out of just the drivers door.

Usually it takes 50g of clay to do a small hatchback like mine, I used 150g and was REALLY pulling the clay out. It was filthy by the time I was done, I would have usually used about 400g spread between 8 (one 50g per panel) bars if I was changing the clay as often as I would have liked.

20120322_132459.jpg

20120322_131432.jpg

20120322_130945.jpg

Fitted some aero wipers today

20120322_130939.jpg

20120322_130846.jpg

20120322_130800.jpg

20120322_123933.jpg

Used this turtle wax wheel protector, if you guys haven't ever used this and use a different wheel cleaner...then bin it and buy this. It costs under a fiver and is IMO the best wheel protector I have ever used.

20120322_125842.jpg

20120322_123927.jpg

No swirls here :)

20120322_123301.jpg

20120322_122228.jpg

20120322_121401.jpg

This photo is post clay, pre polish with no buffing.

20120322_120939.jpg

And this photo is post wash, dried and pre clay. Note the swirls, even though the light is over a foot further away -

20120322_122201.jpg

VERY happy. Car is looking bang tidy now, two washes with Megs Tech Wash, detail spray with Demon Shine, clay with Bilt & Hamber the first panel then it got to expensive I used Megs quikclay, polished with Autoglym Intensity, sealed twice with two coats of Collinite Elegance with the first coat allowed to cure for 4 minutes and the second given 12.

Last edited:
You seriously need to invest in Tardis and Iron-X. Those dark marks on your clay are fall out and you may have dragged most of that over your paint, making your correction work harder.

Other than that (and the awful Turtle wax wheel protector) it looks good! Monacos were my favourite to detail, gorgeous colour.

Astra Twintop
Is that a T-sport or a T-sport compressor in the background?

Aside from that, looks like a nice example!

PB Clio 172
really nice car good work ! Love the colour and the fact its on standard wheels ! :approve:

and your from Plymouth, Good place ! never seen you.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You wanted to use 400g of clay to do a Clio ?! LMAO ! :dead:

I have many questions.

1) Why did your dog need a lifetime protection ? ;)
2) Why do you think cars need polishing ? It's not a necessity on any vehicle if proper wash techniques are observed.
3) What is Autoglym Intensity ?
4) What on earth is that wheel protector and why are you using it to clean the wheels ?

Aside from that.. get some photos up in actual sunlight not dull cloud so we can see the holograms and RDS, oh and add tyre-gel to the list JD mentioned.

:evil:

172 Sport
Mistype, I said clean and meant protect. I use Autoglym Clean Wheels as a cleaner, and seriously that Turdle Wax stuff is REALLY good, don't knock it until you try it ;)

God knows why I typed intensity, I was just watching the news and there was a story on a fire. I must have typed intensity because the word popped into my head/was said on the news, lol. Long day...I ACTUALLY used UDS to polish, applied with a G3 white sponge.

This car was NOT washed correctly, there were coupons for automated car washes in the glovebox. Which made me cry a little. I have always been a firm believer that when a decent clay and polish has been done, and sealed with a good wax then once every couple of weeks a wash and spray off with Autoglym Aqua Wax (or similar) is more than enough to maintain a great finish with a 10-12 weeks application of Collinite or similar.

I cannot stand wet look plastics, I clean my tyres with Autoglym Bumper Care and then buff it off with a terry towel. Seems to last a long time, if a little expensive.

I HATE dragging dirty clay over my car, I may be doing it wrong so please tell me if I'm using too much. This is the most I would usually see on clay before wanting to get rid/do glass and wheels -

20120322_114318.jpg

The dog needs a lifetime protection from being attacked by badgers, she's a right little terror.

I cannot wait to get it out in the sun, the color looks great in good light. It looked awesome the other day, and that was pre claying.

20120318_150803-1.jpg

20120318_150830.jpg

I did manage to cut back a bit of crazing/lacquer peel the other day by hand which made me very happy -

20120318_101934.jpg

20120318_101922.jpg

I just read up on Iron-X, ordered. Thanks for the reccomendation :)

-

It is not a compressor, just a standard T sport. A VERY nice one at that though -

2011-11-24135700.jpg

IMG-20111124-WA0016.jpg

And yep, I am in Plymouth and on standard wheels she shall be staying :) What's your car? Give me a wave if you see me out and about.

172 Sport
Ah i see!

I've got the Compressor model.

Same colour too.

They are lovely cars, I don't know if the compressor is the same but his revs so high it makes it's own gravity. Lovely balanced drive, far better than it's equivalent competitors of the time and a low insurance group too.

172 Sport
Good comeback.. ;)

I'll invest in the turtle wax when my G5 wears off. Thanks for the heads up.

It's good stuff, easy to apply too. For the price of it you can't go wrong :)

Do you think I am renovating my clay often enough? Usually I'd have used 50g for an entire car of that size, which I think is about right? But having not used Iron-X (or equivalent) I was getting through the stuff at a stupid rate :(

Astra Twintop
They are lovely cars, I don't know if the compressor is the same but his revs so high it makes it's own gravity. Lovely balanced drive, far better than it's equivalent competitors of the time and a low insurance group too.

I think the rev limit is the same in both cars. 8200rpm.

The compressor has the supercharger bolted on too.

172 Sport
I think the rev limit is the same in both cars. 8200rpm.

The compressor has the supercharger bolted on too.

220bhp aren't they? They never got a great write up in the press, which always confused me.

-

I normally use Bilt Hamber autoclay regular which is quite difficult to keep warm, I have taken to mixing Demon Shine with boiling water in my spray bottle to aid the heat staying in the clay. Good idea?

172 Sport
im confused by the whole clay thing :S someone explain?!

The easiest way to explain would be to shamelessly steal these well known images -

paintbeforewash5gj.jpg

Cleaning your car properly will remove all of the fresh surface contaminates, leaving you with a nice shiny clean car.

he sharp, sticky and generally horrible bonded contaminates will still be lodged in the top coat. If you run your fingers over the car you can feel them, and when you are claying you can feel the clay catching up on these contaminates.

paintafterwashing5vh.jpg

The soft sticky clay being passed over the surface will pull those contaminates out, giving you a glass like feel to the paintwork. As the clay slides across you can feel it snagging and catching, and when it pulls the contaminates out it goes smooth and you can feel it's done it's job.

Having a 100% smooth surface allows you to polish to a cleaner and more vibrant base and allows the wax to do it's job and really help the color bounce and keep it's clarity.

claying4mg.jpg

As said, I thought my car was looking pretty spanking after several polishes and applications of wax on Sunday. But I still managed to pull all of this just from the drivers door alone -

547434_10150865891265130_709735129_12670298_101558886_n.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
many thanks for that info :) Do you pull the clay along the paintwork or is it rolled? Sounds like it would cause scratches if it picking up all this stuff and your continuing to pull it over the paint?!

172 Sport
many thanks for that info :) Do you pull the clay along the paintwork or is it rolled? Sounds like it would cause scratches if it picking up all this stuff and your continuing to pull it over the paint?!

You slide it, the clay is not very supple. As long as you keep the clay rotated and well lubricated you shouldn't get any marring or surface scratching.

Last edited by a moderator:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

Thats why your supposed to use a tar remover (tardis) and iron fall out remover first (ironx).

Imo clay should never look like that, to me its just showing a poor decontamination process.

I think there was a thread on DW where they were going on about it being a willy waving contest with look at how dirty my clay is. obviously the ones with the dirty clay had the small willys and the small brain!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
As above.

As soon as I see a few specs of contaminents on my clay I re-fold. Yours looks like you were claying the floor!

172 Sport
As I've said...I wasn't aware of Iron X or similar, hence the fall out and excessive use of clay.

It has made a huge difference though, and one way or another it's all off and clean :)

172 Sport
thanks for the video, very interesting. I think i might do this in the summer

Where abouts in Devon are you? If you fancy a bit of a meet up we can crack on with both of our cars and see how we get on with the right use of products.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The easiest way to explain would be to shamelessly steal these well known images -

paintbeforewash5gj.jpg

Cleaning your car properly will remove all of the fresh surface contaminates, leaving you with a nice shiny clean car.

he sharp, sticky and generally horrible bonded contaminates will still be lodged in the top coat. If you run your fingers over the car you can feel them, and when you are claying you can feel the clay catching up on these contaminates.

paintafterwashing5vh.jpg

The soft sticky clay being passed over the surface will pull those contaminates out, giving you a glass like feel to the paintwork. As the clay slides across you can feel it snagging and catching, and when it pulls the contaminates out it goes smooth and you can feel it's done it's job.

Having a 100% smooth surface allows you to polish to a cleaner and more vibrant base and allows the wax to do it's job and really help the color bounce and keep it's clarity.

claying4mg.jpg

As said, I thought my car was looking pretty spanking after several polishes and applications of wax on Sunday. But I still managed to pull all of this just from the drivers door alone -

547434_10150865891265130_709735129_12670298_101558886_n.jpg

How can you read those diagrams and still think your clay looks okay.

Made me die a little inside.

You need to research tar removers and iron removers. Then research claying even more.

You're going to really damage you paint if you haven't already.

172 Sport
How can you read those diagrams and still think your clay looks okay.

Made me die a little inside.

You need to research tar removers and iron removers. Then research claying even more.

You're going to really damage you paint if you haven't already.

Please don't try and assume I am an idiot, at no point did I say my clay looked ok and that was how it was meant to be. I clearly said that I was having problems with the amount of contamination that was being collected, despite what I believed to be a thorough clean. I wasn't aware of products like Iron-X which would cleanse much further and offer more protection whilst claying. I wish I had of known of this product before, because it would have saved me a lot of hassle and expense today. :(

I have been claying cars for years, far longer than it has been fashionable. However I only purchased this car four days ago, and had very limited prep time and no idea what I was up against. Now that I know of Iron-x I have ordered some for future use. I don't often use forums so am a bit behind on what to use and what not to. Despite using good products and having a sound but old school knowledge of paint correction and detailing, I am a bit behind. I only learnt about snow foam a month or two ago lol.

If you are going to tell me I'm doing something wrong, then please tell me how to do it right as well. :)

Last edited:
  PB Clio 172
yeah man will def give you a wave, I cant get my pics up atm they are too big and I have tried and it doesnt work. Can't be assed with it. I drive a Black 172 on 17's so look out for me!

Will try and do a 'real' southwest meet soon so keep you posted buddy !

Please don't try and assume I am an idiot, at no point did I say my clay looked ok and that was how it was meant to be. I clearly said that I was having problems with the amount of contamination that was being collected, despite what I believed to be a thorough clean. I wasn't aware of products like Iron-X which would cleanse much further and offer more protection whilst claying. I wish I had of known of this product before, because it would have saved me a lot of hassle and expense today. :(

I have been claying cars for years, far longer than it has been fashionable. However I only purchased this car four days ago, and had very limited prep time and no idea what I was up against. Now that I know of Iron-x I have ordered some for future use. I don't often use forums so am a bit behind on what to use and what not to. Despite using good products and having a sound but old school knowledge of paint correction and detailing, I am a bit behind. I only learnt about snow foam a month or two ago lol.

If you are going to tell me I'm doing something wrong, then please tell me how to do it right as well. :)

Gally wasn't getting at you, he was suggesting that it is very common these days for people to jump onto the band waggon of detailing and get it wrong.

In one respect, he is right - you've pointed out that you've been claying cars for years "before it became fashionable". Claying is not a fashion, it's a process that should be carried out properly after research. You are doing it wrong. Luckily, as you've stated you're clearly not an idiot and are willing to accept constructive criticism.

We all live and learn; hopefully by posting up in here you have learned something about the processes you are keen to utilise. Wise men don't need advice; fools don't accept advice.

172 Sport
Oh yeah agreed, I have the mental capacity to accept when I am doing something wrong and learn from it :)

I am interested in using this Iron X stuff on my girlfriends car, it has never been washed or treated with any care. A Polish £10 car wash once a month is about the most love it has ever had. I will post my results, cannot wait to give it a go though.

With regards to clay being fashionable, I hope you took it im the right context :) I remember a couple of years back when the every day petrolhead found out about clay and every tom dick and harry picked up a bar and marred the feck out of their paintwork and then used it as blue tac lol.

JD, are you the JD off ASN?

And yep, SW meet sounds epic to me! :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Even forgetting iron x mate. Tardis a must. If you see the thread I just posted last night you'll see what difference it can make.

Just some sound advice. I'm never the most tactful but I never want to see people do irreparable damage to their paintwork that's all.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Even forgetting iron x mate. Tardis a must. If you see the thread I just posted last night you'll see what difference it can make.

Just some sound advice. I'm never the most tactful but I never want to see people do irreparable damage to their paintwork that's all.

and English is his 2nd language, so sometimes gets lost in translation! ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think England hates notherners aswell mate. ;)

You must have been the only one to understand me!

172 Sport
I am mate. Fellow Audi or ex Audi owner,chap?

16Klappe, dubbed the "S3 Slayer" after a white wash of all S3's at ADI in my A3 :p
th_tongue.gif
th_tongue.gif

Sold up and went to go and buy an E30 325 Sport, ended up with a Clio lol

409483_10150799437845130_709735129_12431238_1287954312_n.jpg

Recognise the username and your car in the other thread. Welcome to CS. It's more lively but it's also full of illiterate jobs worths, but you've already encountered that in the CF Clio thread ;)

172 Sport
Recognise the username and your car in the other thread. Welcome to CS. It's more lively but it's also full of illiterate jobs worths, but you've already encountered that in the CF Clio thread ;)

I am just glad to have got away from the daily posts on what dump valve to run and how to set your MBC :p

This seems like a good forum, I like it :)