ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz.'s Honda Accord Type R (VTEC Kicked in etc)

So, in a totally oddball choice for me, I've wound up buying a Honda Accord Type R. In silver too, a colour I generally loathe with a passion!

So yesterday I made a 4 hour round trip with the Mrs to Hartlepool, and came back with the car. Pretty much full service history, just rolled over to 80,000 miles as I drove it out of the seller's street! 12 months MOT, 5 months tax, brand new Goodyear F1s on the front, nearly new on the rear. The guy was really into the car, he used to own an NSX before having a family, and this was his toy to replace that. However, he's just bought a 911 so this had to go. He even asked me to contact him when I sell it as he'd like first dibs lol.

It's no mint example, and as with any car I buy the bodywork needs some attention. Namely the rear bumper & wing need paintwork, then it's just scratches and dents to sort, the rear bumper to rehang properly and a bit of a polish (no point spending long polishing silver though, it changes nothing!) The rocker cover needs repainting too, in the obligatory VHT crinkle red.

Mechanically it's great, no crunching from the Reverse or 5th gear synchros, it's a bit tappety though. Topped the oil up which quietened it down a little, so hopefully some fresh oil will sort that. If not, I'll check the valve clearances, but they were meant to have been done 10,000 miles ago by Honda.

First impressions, it's no less torquey than Soph's 182 in feel, obviously it needs stirring to get it going anywhere with any haste. Lovely civilised drive on the motorway, yet came alive once I got onto our local roads and started to explore the chassis a little. I can see why Honda used these as a Super 2000 chassis.

I've already started to make my mark on it, first thing being some LED sidelights to match the factory Xenons. Then I've wet sanded and polished up the headlights as they were going all UV yellow. They're not perfect, but they're a lot better and it's knocked a year or 2 off it's looks.

A few crap iPhone images...

240F8C06-F872-4CB5-BE57-B1A24F109CBE-10692-00000AE970390E5A.jpg

17AB6A1A-63AA-4BA2-B80C-A9B780368F8A-10692-00000AE97595B8C6.jpg

AB6D24D2-7332-4ECE-A3A1-62C913038BBF-10692-00000AE98B8D1997.jpg

F9CE8793-B3B3-4A17-BE20-1738ECC46D52-10692-00000AE992A8BF8D.jpg

ADDBD6E2-B8D8-4D49-B13F-827B2AAE1FF2-10692-00000AE99852B682.jpg

321E352F-20E4-45A6-A2DA-5C662888660B-10692-00000AE9693DB1DE.jpg

And a before & after on the headlights...

17CD6CE2-D1D7-4872-AE9E-66D1168036D1-10692-00000AE95CF8C8C5.jpg

20D7EF0D-1013-4A6B-B5FF-C68F3C52BC48-10692-00000AE96393DF43.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I looked at these amongst other things as you know, they are supposed to be very good.

BMW M5 & E36
Jap, check.
Turbo/RWD/300hp, not so much!

Complete opposite of what you were after, but I've always liked them. Looks good!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
The styling doesn't really do anything for me on these but I'm sure it gets down the road well when it 'kicks in'.

Jap, check.
Turbo/RWD/300hp, not so much!

Complete opposite of what you were after, but I've always liked them. Looks good!

It was becoming obvious I wasn't going to get what I wanted, and if I did it would be a lemon with the money I have. I've a big chunk of money coming my way in a couple of years when shareplans mature, so hopefully I'll have enough for something daft! This ought to tide me over for a while, hoping to get a trackday or 2 in too.

BMW M5 & E36
Yep, good plan. Not a bad number just to tide you over mind. Suprising difference the lights have made too.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Love it mate! Will follow this with interest as I can see myself in one at one point.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Good buy, nice to see you using the owners club too.

My old one (still on the forum somewhere):

5089863211_373bfc531a.jpg

5603280723_043aee2763.jpg

5090408826_0b01b60e89.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
The styling doesn't really do anything for me on these.

I kinda like them for their almost completely bland looks.

Whip off the wing and Type R badges and it's just any x-plate Jap saloon...... until y0!

Mind, I like Toledos for a similar reason. Small saloons FTW :)

Nice. I never commented on your other thread, but it definitely is the ideal choice for you, about as close to all your criteria as you can get.

I'd have to get some form of aftermarket induction on there to get VTEC singing if it was mine!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
The styling isn't to my liking personally, but then again it's your car not mine! Lol Saying that I can respect how capable they are!

Any plans?

Nice. I never commented on your other thread, but it definitely is the ideal choice for you, about as close to all your criteria as you can get.

I'd have to get some form of aftermarket induction on there to get VTEC singing if it was mine!

It doesn't need it, it's got a K&N Panel filter and it's just as throaty as one I test drive with an open cone!

Plans, tidy it up, then who knows.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suddenly some VTEC fanboy now. I love boost, and always will. However, a drive in my mate's DC5 had changed an opinion formed from driving an EP3, so I thought I'd give these a punt.

Sometimes you have to try things again, or try a different variation to get on with it, if you know what I mean?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I love that! I'd have to hunt down a red one though I think.

I'm thinking about one again now, my mrs Rav4 is being a prick and I'm fed up with diesels going wrong.

Diesels scare the hell out of me, especially common rail stuff.

I'd have preferred Black myself, but they command a premium, and I'm a bit fed up of black showing every defect up. It surprised me that I didn't mind the car. Hell they're not going to win a beauty contest but there's far worse looking cars out there, and it's never going to be as quick as a sub 300 bhp turbo'd car (not without bolting a turbo to it), but it's a good all round car. It does practical, it does "quick", it does reliable. Certainly what I should have been looking for in a car until I'm back on my feet from this house purchase.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I've heard off a few people these are a much better "experience" than the EP3 :)

Either way good luck with it :)

120d M Sport
How have you come to that conclusion??

The pictures. Only little things but stuff like the engine bay, grubby headlights, interior look a bit worn, shiny steering wheel etc. Plus Gaz said it needed oil topping up.

Nothing that can't be sorted fairly easily, now you've asked me to describe why I sound like I'm slagging it off (I'm not)!! But I'd have thought with all the Honda geeks that own these there might be cleaner ones out there.

I'm sure Gaz will tidy it up and have it looking good in time anyhow.

Last edited:
The previous owner is the kind of guy that just pays to get stuff done. I think people forget most normal people don't detail their car to death etc.

The interior is nothing, I drove one with 113k that looked miles worse. A good clean will sort most of it out.

pimp mobile Zafira
Looks good mate. Cracking cars and for te money you can't beat it really. Good luck with it and hopefully it won't be as costly as the Rex.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I think they look really dated but at the same time look pretty cool. I like how understated they are aswell.