ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grey 1.2 Project

Titanium 182
Had this is in the media secton first, decided I would put it on here with my updates on him so far.

This is my 1.2 clio 'Patrick' when I first got him, had service history and cam belt change.
2002 1.2 16V, when the log book arrived it had 7 previous owners, which got me a bit unsure about it as to why so many people had had it but it isn't an issue anymore.

IMG_0967_zps1d4f32ba.jpg

IMG_0969_zps45eeecd9.jpg

After the first couple days of driving this car it seemed fine, ran well and got me around pretty decent, was strange going from a diesel to a petrol. In heavy rain the car would lose power and a light on my dash would come on, unsure what the light means..

image_zpsca4243a0.jpg

After this happened and left me stranded twice I had my girlfriends dad who is a mechanic to have a look at it, after a diagnostic check came up with nothing a couple of forums had mentioned that a couple wires coming from the cars ECU would have come apart and got torn and wet forcing the car to lose power, apparently it is something that Renault don't check for so whenever this is taken to their garage and it is never found the problem is never fixed. A bit of tape around the wires and a test drive in the rain, the car ran perfect and no problems with the loss of power.

After a week or 2 of driving this new car I got rid of the wheel trims and sprayed them black, which I still didn't like, it was just a made do for now job, I soon found on here that someone was selling a set of turini's not that far from me so I offered the guy a price and he accepted, I drove down to chester to pick them up a couple days later.

The headlights on the car, one of in excellent condition on the front but behind the connections were broken and the other headlamp was hazed and stratched, I got out the headlamp polish and gave a go at restoring them both, but after the hazed one not even getting a single bit better i got some cup headlamps for chorley and fitted them.

IMG_1158_zpscb362b4e.jpg

Need to get the alloys refurbed but for now they are fine, might arrange to get it done after winter.
With this swell a couple of small modifications had been changed, 3/4 front plate, aero wipers and xenon bulbs

The car pretty much stayed like this for a little while, including a ken wood stereo which I changed as soon as i could as the one that came with the car was just dreadful.

After a pretty good payday I bought a few parts for Patrick to pick up on the mods, first I always wanted an aftermarket exhaust, sported seemed to do fairly decent ones and so I bought one. After a week of waiting for it to arrive, it felt like ages, it finally came and got it fitted 2 days later by myself and my girlfriends dad.

image_zpsadd20401.jpg

Was a real pain to take the stock exhaust out but defiantly worth it.

As well as the exhausts I also ordered a few various bits to help improve the car, some Cree reversing lights, Team Heko wind deflectors, my cup spoiler and a set of fog lamps. the car doesn't come with fog lamps with it only being an Expression model so I plan to fit some fog lamps and the usual yellow tint on them, common but it looks good IMO.

image_zps3adfc7ec.jpg

image_zps992fd019.jpg

image_zps70467809.jpg

I'm arranging to have the spoiler resprayed, I'm also trying to get my hands on a 172 bumper off a guy on here which will be getting sprayed at the same time and will properly be going on the car after christmas maybe.

Today I got a few cleaning bits to give a car a small detail. I'm new to detailing so I don't have much stuff to use so I went and bought a couple bits to help me give it a go, I think it came out alright for now, needs a bit more work on it.

image_zps72f8166f.jpg

After a first detail...

image_zpse372f53b.jpg

image_zps6accc719.jpg

I tried to spray the 'clio' badge at the back in white as it was the only spray paint I could find around my house but not really a fan of it so need to get another one to replace it.

Got a couple of plans for him next which are lowering, colour code, and Ive seen the FK tail lights which I think look alright so might have a look into some of them aswell

Cheers for looking.

Titanium 182
Update: After it going dark and starting to rain on sunday, while I had some time before work today I decide to finish off my small detailing with the minimal cleaning products I have, I redid the polishing with an autoglym palm applicator which after about half way through doing I dropped on the floor so a standard polishing pad was to hand and a couple of cloths...

E752914E-B7B9-4D06-9DB7-4013882CB5E4_zpszhu0tk7g.jpg

9B7A384D-C555-4B26-A374-A220801850F8_zpsvetkpdal.jpg

After losing the sub wires in my last car I bought some bring new ones and spent quite a while trying to get the power wire through to the engine bay, after that the rest of the wiring was simple, took a good while but happy that I got my sub up and running, although 2 days down the line my car was struggling to start, multimeter to hand I sourced out the problem and that one of the wires was constantly getting power from the battery even when the car was off, after sourcing the correct wire I swapped it over and the car runs fine again.

84C50BF7-1CA0-4896-A39D-F04D58F273A8_zpsxduhipjg.jpg

Also my 3/4 plate in the boot as the sticky tabs failed to stick and so I bolted back on the original size one, need to find some sticky pads which will actually stick on properly.

I noticed while cleaning the car today that my exhaust was hanging quite low, the weight of it on the old rubber exhaust mount is crumbling on the mount, need to get my hands on a decent one pretty soon before it complete breaks on me.

565AD9DE-0F82-4DE4-8F14-75262950C865_zps2gc5trkh.jpg

My 172 bumper should be arriving tomorrow and then should be getting sprayed the following week hopefully with my cup spoiler, its irritating just being sat in my living room, want to put it on the car.

Yeahyeah I had mentioned that, need a couple things to do first them probably lower it it after that.

Ok nice, kinda just looked at the pictures only :p

I have the same sub - been sat in the loft for about 3 years but tempted to get it out for a laugh - where did you wire it from the engine bay? any grommets at all?

RS Megane DCi 175
Nice, get it lowered though!
Reminds me of my old one, always loved the colour - shame they never did an RS in it to be honest.

Here's a pic:
dsc00799z.jpg

Same exhaust as mine and the same problem I had a few weeks ago with the backbox hanger. I bought a new one from GSF and chucked it on, then undid the clamps holding the backbox to the centre section. Then lying on my right side under the car, used my left knee to twist the backbox round so the tip was as close to the bumper as possible, and retightened the clamp so it would hold. (did get some funny looks with knee holding it up!)

3 weeks down the line and it's still as tight as ever :) nice colour car mate, makes me tempted to get some Turini's for my Pearl Black.

Titanium 182
Ok nice, kinda just looked at the pictures only :p

I have the same sub - been sat in the loft for about 3 years but tempted to get it out for a laugh - where did you wire it from the engine bay? any grommets at all?

I wired it through where the wire is for the bonnet cable, took some time but managed to get it through.

Titanium 182
Nice, get it lowered though!
Reminds me of my old one, always loved the colour - shame they never did an RS in it to be honest.

Here's a pic:
dsc00799z.jpg

Yeah man it looks smart that, hopefully mine goes to this standard, what's it lowered on?

Titanium 182
Same exhaust as mine and the same problem I had a few weeks ago with the backbox hanger. I bought a new one from GSF and chucked it on, then undid the clamps holding the backbox to the centre section. Then lying on my right side under the car, used my left knee to twist the backbox round so the tip was as close to the bumper as possible, and retightened the clamp so it would hold. (did get some funny looks with knee holding it up!)

3 weeks down the line and it's still as tight as ever :) nice colour car mate, makes me tempted to get some Turini's for my Pearl Black.

haha, was it a ball ache to do then? And yeah got a good deal on the turini's so couldn't say no to them.

Titanium 182
Nah wasn't too bad tbh. Has three torx screws, can't remember the size, mine were a wee bit stubborn but with a bit of persuasion they came loose. Straight bolt off bolt on job!

Might have to get round to that, need to also cut a gap out my bumper aswell a it will raise it quite high with a new mount

Octavia VRS LE
Car looks good. Nice colour that too. Thought about getting a sport grill? it transforms the front end of the car completely.

Titanium 182
Car looks good. Nice colour that too. Thought about getting a sport grill? it transforms the front end of the car completely.

Yeahyeah had one in my last car does make it look a lot better, going to get one soon when I can.

Titanium 182
NEED SOME HELP: I've looked through the paper work that came with the car and it isn't much help, I need to find the exact colour of grey which this is but it doesn't say anywhere, anyone know where it usually says it on the car? Getting my bumper and spoiler sprayed soon so need to find this out soon.

Titanium 182
Rear bumper has arrived! As I posted the last thing I got a knock on my door, the same guy who delivered my exhaust had given me my 172 bumper.

08AFAC44-9881-4D82-94DE-157033DA074C_zpshjzdzd1n.jpg

4A361AD9-3B0B-4176-9F17-901718A6B997_zpsqudzoufd.jpg

Such a great colour but unfortunately it has to get sprayed the colour of my car, seems a shame, no cut out which is good but need to make my own and get a exhaust surround for it aswell, hopefully it doesn't take to long to get sprayed with my cup spoiler.

Titanium 182
So I got to my car the other morning and noticed my seat was pretty damp, being in a rush that day I didn't really do much about it,

image_zps32d3a042.jpg

There has been a bit of bad rain today and I have been in the car for most of it, just before I came home I noticed that the roof lining had a slight damp patch on it

149A8CE7-6ADF-4E64-8DBE-8AC151ACA1E6_zpsvy0c75wi.jpg

ive heard that there is a usual problem with 1.2 Clio and the sunroof, not sure if it's certain models or all but I was wondering if anyone knew how I could fix it?

172 Rep
So I got to my car the other morning and noticed my seat was pretty damp, being in a rush that day I didn't really do much about it,

image_zps32d3a042.jpg

There has been a bit of bad rain today and I have been in the car for most of it, just before I came home I noticed that the roof lining had a slight damp patch on it

149A8CE7-6ADF-4E64-8DBE-8AC151ACA1E6_zpsvy0c75wi.jpg

ive heard that there is a usual problem with 1.2 Clio and the sunroof, not sure if it's certain models or all but I was wondering if anyone knew how I could fix it?

Check the seal on the roof outside the car, I got a bit of mastic and sealed mine up and had no problems since

172 Rep
Okay thanks a lot pal, seen your rep looks pretty sweet.

No worries mate ;-) and cheers pal it's getting there, same old with clios, it's expensive, and never turns out the way you want it, how you finding the car since the crash?

Titanium 182
No worries mate ;-) and cheers pal it's getting there, same old with clios, it's expensive, and never turns out the way you want it, how you finding the car since the crash?

Coming along though isn't it, what's left on it? And it's all good at the moment, couldn't keep this Clio standard long as you can see but feels alright, not a idiot anymore flooring it down back roads, so it's defiantly taught me something.

172 Rep
Coming along though isn't it, what's left on it? And it's all good at the moment, couldn't keep this Clio standard long as you can see but feels alright, not a idiot anymore flooring it down back roads, so it's defiantly taught me something.

In time yes and pretty much spacers and get the bodywork cleaned up, refurb the turinis and that's it I suppose.

And it's all in experience mate, we've all done it and learned from it!

Titanium 182
In time yes and pretty much spacers and get the bodywork cleaned up, refurb the turinis and that's it I suppose.

And it's all in experience mate, we've all done it and learned from it!

Need to refurb my turini's refurbed but waiting until I've got anything else sorted, the wheels the car originally came on where just some standard wheels, considering putting them back on during this bad weather.

172 Rep
Need to refurb my turini's refurbed but waiting until I've got anything else sorted, the wheels the car originally came on where just some standard wheels, considering putting them back on during this bad weather.

If the turinis need a refurb I wouldn't worry too much, mine are in a right crap state lol

Titanium 182
I found some minion stickers and thought that it would look alright on the back of the car...

16DA5D2D-B3C2-4482-A506-B28F893EBBA5_zps5rmieysy.jpg

Now that's it's on I'm not too sure whether I like it or not, to keep it or take it off?

Titanium 182
After my cup spoiler being sat in my room for ages I decided I would put it on the car today to see how it would look, with it being black it usually blends in with the other small black parts on the car. How the car looks now.

D9AD8960-684F-435D-81B7-410EE98CE516_zpsk5qvgewn.jpg

2EEBD97C-2E0A-4687-A421-AD532BCA08ED_zpst8e8mihk.jpg

35B07CBD-105C-4B6C-A113-DB1256A48D74_zpse03opage.jpg

Not sure whether to keep it black or get it sprayed the colour of the car which was the original plan but it seems to work with how it is aswell.

usually keep on top of the cleanliness of the car but been driving through a lot of dirty roads so not bothered for a little. Also want to put my 3/4 plate back on but unsure whether it's worth the hassle of I get pulled over for it or anything.

getting my bumper cut out sorted on Saturday for my 172 bumper and then can get my bumper sprayed and fitted.

Titanium 182
Forgot to add: also fitted my fog lamps, they don't work at the moment due to not having the correct stalk for them to work but they along side of the sport grill has made a big difference to the front of the car.