ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Half cage options

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Wondering if cs could shed some light. I'm getting a half cage, but torn between safety devices or sw motorsport version. Sw easier to fit as bolts to the floor so 100% bolt in. Safety devices you weld the floor plates in and the cage bolts to that. I can get the safety devices for 70 quid less, but have to pay for fitting on then so safety devices will cost more I guess. what would you get? What's the benefit of mounting to the plates rather than to the floor? Is it so it has better support than a flimsy floor in the event of a roll?

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Just one to throw in depending on where you are. jP Cages. I had one built for my fiesta ST and was a rear bolt in. If you are the first mouldings for it aswell he will do it cheaper.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just one to throw in depending on where you are. jP Cages. I had one built for my fiesta ST and was a rear bolt in. If you are the first mouldings for it aswell he will do it cheaper.
Stockport mate. Where's he?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
SW do Civic ones all the time. Probably the one to go for.

My brother's megane one from there was sound.
Safety devices 70 quid less tho, could do with making any savings I can for this lsd box

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Have to get someone to do the welding of the played on top of that too.

Probably work out about the same.
Yeah wasn't sure what kind of cost the welding would be. Absolutely no idea on welding and that!

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Yeh couldn’t fault the quality for £400 fitted as I was first one on my fiesta.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Attachments

• 80890EE5-74BB-4792-BD7C-966D3FFC4441.png
    80890EE5-74BB-4792-BD7C-966D3FFC4441.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 341

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The SW option must have some reinforcement plates of some kind? Do they go under the floor on the outside and it bolts through them?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The SW option must have some reinforcement plates of some kind? Do they go under the floor on the outside and it bolts through them?
Not seen but that's what I was thinking, must be pretty big plates To bolt direct to the floor!

Thing is with cages, you can't really review them until someone bins it! Bit like insurance, might be easy to buy and fit etc, but the real test is like the photo above.

That ep that rolled at brands last year had an sw cage too I think and it did well.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
There will 100% be something. If there was no reinforcement, the feet of the cage would just punch through the floor pan in the event of a rollover.

Personally, I would probably go for something with weld-in feet, as a piece of 3mm plate welded into the car makes for a nice secure mounting, but I can see why it doesn't appeal. Saying that, I would probably just weld the whole thing in and gusset to the B-pillars, so you get a bit of a rigidity gain from it too. Obviously it means you can't remove it, but I suppose you have to ask yourself if you ever would anyway, or just sell the car with it fitted.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
There will 100% be something. If there was no reinforcement, the feet of the cage would just punch through the floor pan in the event of a rollover.

Personally, I would probably go for something with weld-in feet, as a piece of 3mm plate welded into the car makes for a nice secure mounting, but I can see why it doesn't appeal. Saying that, I would probably just weld the whole thing in and gusset to the B-pillars, so you get a bit of a rigidity gain from it too. Obviously it means you can't remove it, but I suppose you have to ask yourself if you ever would anyway, or just sell the car with it fitted.
That was another thought but safety devices sell the fitting kit so if I ever broke the car I could sell the cage on still (If I just bolted to the plates - which would stay on the car).

I need to check out the ad cage, going up on Monday to tensport and a lad there has one so will check it out. Civic floors are probably not as strong as when they left factory either, probs all rotten lolz

Can you not get a half cage that bolts into the existing seat belt mounts like the MSV one I had in the Clio? So much easier to fit/remove and easier to sell on...

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Can you not get a half cage that bolts into the existing seat belt mounts like the MSV one I had in the Clio? So much easier to fit/remove and easier to sell on...
Not seen that option mate? Both the sw and safety devices attach to the floor at the base if the rear seats and the wheel arches. Identical except for the weld in feet on the sd

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

Those don't appeal to me very much. Do you just end up with the bases of the main hoop being supported by a single bolt where the lower seat belt anchorage would be?

Those don't appeal to me very much. Do you just end up with the bases of the main hoop being supported by a single bolt where the lower seat belt anchorage would be?
The horizontal rear beam bolts into the side seat belt mounts by a m14x110 so nice and deep into the chassis. The front horizontal again bolts deep into the lower seat belt mounting points using an m14, also the front horizontal bolts in 3 places along the floor pan. The single piece loop then bolts to the horizontals in 4 places using 16 m12 bolts in total. Very secure and I'd much rather this than some of these half arsed weld/bolt in cages you see with poor spreader plates or no plates at all, welded/bolted to a rusted/weak floor pan.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The horizontal rear beam bolts into the side seat belt mounts by a m14x110 so nice and deep into the chassis. The front horizontal again bolts deep into the lower seat belt mounting points using an m14, also the front horizontal bolts in 3 places along the floor pan. The single piece loop then bolts to the horizontals in 4 places using 16 m12 bolts in total. Very secure and I'd much rather this than some of these half arsed weld/bolt in cages you see with poor spreader plates or no plates at all, welded/bolted to a rusted/weak floor pan.

Any pics? Sorry @Danith, not meaning to hijack.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I can see what they're getting at, but not sold on it personally. Fair bit of unnecessary weight and not convinced with how some of the fixing points will be loaded. I can certainly see the appeal, as it's a totally bolt-in solution, but I think I would sooner just weld some plates in and do it properly.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Hit some sort of fluid in the braking zone of paddock at brands. Lost the back end. Did a 360 and hit the gravel side on. Went over nearly twice.

During the race chasing p10 so I was going for it [emoji23]
Pretty sure that's where the civic rolled too