ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone got/seen a 1.6 16V Clio II

Anyone got/driven one of these? Are they on par with a VTR/VTS/106 GTI?

Just interested really as you NEVER here of them (apart from some bloke in Max Power who was thinking of getting it supercharged.)

What are the 0-60s? Top Speed etc?

My local Renault reckons they sell more 172s than 1.6 16V!! Both the new and second hand market is dominated by the 1.2 16V clios!!

Well think about it, the 1.2 has all the kit you need really, extras arent pricey, free insurance for 19+ yr olds, its a supermini after all, no point in going OTT. The 1.4 is pointless in my view, minimal gains for higher insurance group and running costs. Same with 1.6, and the 1.6 gets a bit close to the 172/Cup on price, why would you bother?

Performance must be similar to VTR as same BHP, better torque, but weighs more.

Dont want to drag up the whole Saxo VTS/106 GTi thing again, but those cars will massacre a standard 1.6 16v and are more than snapping at the heels of the 172. Makes no sense until you see one beating or keeping up with most Valvers/Willys/172s.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

course it makes sense

check the weights and the power losses from the gearbox and compare

there is a 1.6 dynamique in my street....sounds pretty meaty...however as with most clios...its a women who drives it hehe:)

apart from that they are just as quick in a straight line, and having previoulsy owned a saxo i know how competent they are on the twisties, i have no doubt in my mind that a 172 would have a job trying to create a comfortable gap between the two

im not doubting the ability of the 172, just that the GTi/VTS should not be underestimated

Im not underestimating them, im well aware of what theyre capable of, im just well aware of what theyre not capable of too.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I like the Pug GTi a lot, I love the styling and the fact that there not as common as the Saxo and doesnt come with the "Saxo" image (sorry Craggy!)

Same here, at first i hated the Mk2 Saxos looks but its ok now, but if you stare at it for while it looks ugly again.

The 1.6s are very rare. I see more 172. Mine has all the same toys as the 172 but a electric sunroof as well. They are a lot quicker than you expect. mine has done 600 miles and its still getting quicker. They are quicker than the VTR , not the VTS or GTI. I had a 1.2 16v and it is way quicker than that (Obviosly i know !! )

When the VTR/S duo first came out, they were respected as a pair of fine warm/hot hatches with capabilities far beyond what their image and price tag suggeted. They still are.

Citroen UKs PR destroyed their cred with the inception of the West Coast and other Saxos that benefited from the looks, but not the poke, of the VTR/S.

Hence, the Saxo VTS in particular now lives at the same time in the limelight of the boy racer and in the shadows of the hot hatch fan.

Either way, the VTS has something to prove - and is doing just that in the hands of Craggy.

Its never going to be on my shopping list, but it is easily the performance bargain of the nearly-new hot hatch market.

I have one and its pushing 137Bhp at the Fly - my fiancee uses it day to day and I can say that I have to have my wits about when shes taking of in front of me - 0-60 in 8 dead - she can get all the power down wheras I just wheel spin , but its adios when 90s reached!

BTW it has a full V6 kit on with 17inch V6 cromadora arakna alloys, remapped ecu, grp n filter, head done, stainless though and through, lowered, blah de blah etc etc.......................

Many people consider the 172 a bit of a Q-car but the ultimate clio q-car is the 1.6 i think. Indistinguishable from the basic model(sports ones anyway)

0-60 is 9.6 secs standard

The 1.6 is deffinately zetec-s vtr league but in my opinion outclasses these cars on almost every aspect.

For anyone thinking of getting one though be warned, for some strange reason they are group 10. The megane with what im guessing is the same engine and has the same output and 0-60 is only group 7 iirc. similair cars like the vtr and zetec are only group 7.

I think a friends getting a rolland garros 1.6 16v 110bhp pug so ill update you with how i fare against that. The rolland garros is also a very high spec car-superior to the 1.6- and thats only group 8.

I once came up against a 172 and to say he out accelarated me is an understatement. It was in a 30 so we only got up to about 40 but he was putting car lengths between us even over that short of distance

silver valver/hybrid

my g/f has been after one of these, and she found one at milestones of stafford, 8 months old 1700 miles on the clock 8 grand, she has a 1.4 fiesta chicane at the mo, (which is pissing out oil everywhere for some reason) and she said the 1.4 clio didnt feel any quicker and if she is having a new car she dosent wanna be bored of the performance in a year or two. The 1.6 dynamique is a group 10 but her fiesta is as well and on an internet quote got it 400 quid cheaper on the clio. Unfortunately her parents wouldnt let her have a bigger engined car basically cus they dont trust her in it, so she is stuck with the fezzy for now.

Clio 1.6 16V

Ive had two of them in the past and expecting another in a few days (if DVLA get their finger out their ....) My first one was a 2000 model (Clio A)badged as a 1.6 16V Sport, forerunner to the RSi. My second one was a 2001 1.6 16V Dynamic +. The new one due to arive soon is a 1.6 16V Dynamic with cool pack (climate /elec sunroof) and Style Pack (met paint/Xenons). Taking the seats out of the equation it should be like a slow 172! My past two cars were great apart from the creaky sunroofs during hot weather. Get about 39 mpg on journey, 35 mpg around town and keeps up with most of the warm hatches out there. Basically a good all round car IMO.

Neil

so u reckomend it then neil because i need to get rid of my ibiza b4 it losses any more money and i need sumthing quicker i was cut up by a 106 gti the other day a thought i havent got a chance trying to catch up so i gotta get something bit faster . would get a 172 but insurance is a killer

mk2 172

yeah as fast as it maybe a 1.6 clio is VTS/gti fodder in a race, 172 is more of a target in my eyes, and rob, when exactly have you been up against 100s of vts and in what car, i presume youve pushed a 172 to its limits etc yourself and a vts/106 to be able to make a comparison. a mate of mine off here happened to race a vts in a 172 the other day on a 20 mile country lane and they were locked together.

and touching on the common thing, open ur eyes, i see millions or VTRS, tons of 172 and the odd vts about round ere. over on ssc the ratio is about 100 vtr/westcoast to one vts owner. with it looking almost the same as vtr dont bother me, i buy it to enjoy and go fast in it. and beat "faster" cars;)

mk2 172

ah yeah, the reason why the 172 is becoming way common and vts are mainly badge ups is simple, the 172 has everything most people would want from a car, all the toys and the lush leather sport interior, to buy a vts you have to want performance cos you dont get owt else really more than the vtr which is a fair bit cheaper and half the insurance group. so people who arent bothered about 172 horses are gettin the clio.