ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you protected your NCB?

Have you protected your NCB?

• Total voters

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Just renewed with the option of protecting my no claims bonus.

They said I could protect it for £135 (4 years) so I thought i'd be stupid not too (only amounts to about £13 p/m with interest).

Just curious as to whether you've got your ncb bonuses protected or if you take the risk of losing them in the event of a crash?

DB.

BMW 440i
I did this year (21, just got 4 years no claims). It cost £140 extra to cover (10%), but with the differences in my insurance if I lose my no claims, it will be worth it for a few years.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I did this year (21, just got 4 years no claims). It cost £140 extra to cover (10%), but with the differences in my insurance if I lose my no claims, it will be worth it for a few years.
Exactly what i've done dave (21/4 yncb)

I paid more this year for my insurance than i did last year too. FML. (rang over 30 companies as well :()

DB.

BMW 440i
I managed to knock £150 off from last year, and i gained 3 points. (The 3 points didn't reduce it lol)

I never used to bother, but have this year. When I spoke to greenlight they said yes you only loose 2 years if you have a bump, but that's from what the underwriter has for max, which with highway is 5 years. So even though I have 7 years i'd go back to 3 if I had a claim. It was only £30 extra to protect for me so worth it.

insurance premiums will go up anyway if you have a bump, so would the payment of protecting your no claims be worth it? i currently have 4 so not exactly worth it for me until next year but i am interested in this!

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I did last year for the first time when I reached 4 years, was only an extra £40 something so seemed silly not to. Didn't realise that there was a scale of how many years you lose in the event of a crash, i just assumed you lost everything.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I will do when I get 4 years.

I thought you'd be more intelligent than to use the insurance rip of monthly payments too!
0% CC FTW

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Mine have been protected/guaranteed the last couple of years.

I didn't know about this 2 year loss thing!

R26 + EV0 FQ340
So how does this work then? When taking out the policy they ask you If you've made a claim so surely will increase premiums becuase of this regardless if you still have 3 YNCB from youre protected 5?

german
So how does this work then? When taking out the policy they ask you If you've made a claim so surely will increase premiums becuase of this regardless if you still have 3 YNCB from youre protected 5?

Don't understand your confusion. You're still better of having 3 years NCB than zero.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Nope. I looked into it last renewal but it seemed to make my premium rocket. I'll have five years this year if I don't claim (touch wood), so I'll look into it again.

Ive only got 2 years, so there isnt much point atm. Once I get up to 4, I will be protecting.

I don't think you can protect anything under four years. I could be wrong tough.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I will do when I get 4 years.

I thought you'd be more intelligent than to use the insurance rip of monthly payments too!
0% CC FTW

Not everyone's in a posision to get a 0% credit card. You can't just walk into a bank/ call someone up and get a 0% credit card as easy as that.

In fact no one will come near me with a 0% credit card because of my current cash flow. My current credit card also gets paid off bang on time every month which they don't like either.

I've had 2 0% credit cards and closed the account down everytime the offer ran out.

The interest payments on the insurance with Brentacre isn't that bad anyway.

So although 0% CC would be nice, I can't get one this year round.

R26 + EV0 FQ340
Don't understand your confusion. You're still better of having 3 years NCB than zero.

Agreed on that. Usually they ask how many years NCD and then If you've made any claims. Surely they'll see If you've made a claim and boost the premium up because of this regardless of how many years NCD you have.

german
Agreed on that. Usually they ask how many years NCD and then If you've made any claims. Surely they'll see If you've made a claim and boost the premium up because of this regardless of how many years NCD you have.

I'm pretty sure the NCD is just a % discount calculation that applies after all the other factors are taken into account.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Always, i have 10 years worth now, and Brentacre only charge £20 odd to protect, would be daft not to really

200 FF Storm Grey
I'm pretty sure the NCD is just a % discount calculation that applies after all the other factors are taken into account.

It generally gets applied half way through the process so it isn't a true 60% discount for example

I.e a premium for living in a certain area won't be discounted as that's a factor that has no relevance as to whether the driver hasn't had an accident (the risk still exists)

Just checked with adrian flux and you do only loose 2 years!!!!

Golf GTD Mk7
i moaned at greenlight for putting my premium up and they threw in NCB for free :) It is worth it especially at your age Luke ;)