ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headunit for my 172 -01 and then some...

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
Hi there! My first post on this forum. Peter is my name and I'm from Sweden so you'll have excuse my bad english!:eek:

Anyway, rescently I bought myself a Clio 172 -01 and I like most things that the car is equipped with, but who on earth came up with the chioce of headunit?:eek: ;)

I have searched the forum threads here now for a while but I'm still a bit confused...:S

Is there any mp3-unit that support the dashboard display function and the works with the joystick placed next to the steeringwheel? If there is one, manufacturer and modelname on that one please!:approve:

In case there is no such machine available my guess is that I have to live without the bling-accessories...;)

Im also thinking about a speaker upgrade (and speakercable), and perhaps fitting a tiny Sony 10" sub an amp in the rear... But I have to ask, is the Clio fitted with 5,25" speakers in the doors or is it 6,5"? Please say they are 5,25" so I don´t have to buy more speakers then the one I allready have:D .

Is there anything else i need to get started like Iso cables?

Thanks a lot! / Peter.

Hi, and welcome.

With the head unit, i believe most new aplines will be able to be used with the remote, provided you buy the adaptor cable as well.

The speaker size is in deed 5.25" and not 6.5" so no problems there. As for ISO i think that shouldnt be a problem (assuming i am right in thinking the ISO is the bit that plugs into the back of the stereo) As all new cars and head units now a days come with a universal fitment (certainly the case in the UK).

My 2001 172 with Alpine 9853R and steeering/stalk control

IMG_1650.gif

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
Guilbert said:
Hi, and welcome.

With the head unit, i believe most new aplines will be able to be used with the remote, provided you buy the adaptor cable as well.

The speaker size is in deed 5.25" and not 6.5" so no problems there. As for ISO i think that shouldnt be a problem (assuming i am right in thinking the ISO is the bit that plugs into the back of the stereo) As all new cars and head units now a days come with a universal fitment (certainly the case in the UK).
Thank you for your help. Good thing my speakers might fit.:approve: Hmm, Alpine you say, not my favorite at all.:dapprove: But it has been many years since I tried Alpine, who knows, things might be sorted now.:S

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
fUbAr said:
My 2001 172 with Alpine 9853R and steeering/stalk control
Hmm, looking good.:cool: Does the dashboard display something else than Alpine, or how does it work?:S Good thing the joystick works.:cool: 9853R, I'll have to write that down so I can try one out this week.

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
Barbapappa said:
Hmm, looking good.:cool: Does the dashboard display something else than Alpine, or how does it work?:S Good thing the joystick works.:cool: 9853R, I'll have to write that down so I can try one out this week.
BTW, DO you know if there is any other player in the Alpine stable that might do the trick aswell? I took a look on your type of machine and that one is way of from what I need.:D My plan i to run a very simple install, one 10" sub and a four ch DLS amp connected to the 5,25" speakers in the doors, plus perhaps a DLS 'z-match' between the sub and the amp to get some more power.;)

Clio 172 01 & MK1 Golf
Today I have been to two Alpine dealers, and both of them could supply both the steering control thing and some different Alpine MP3-players.;) They told me that most of the Alpine HU's could be used...

But the steeringcontrol was quite expensive in my opinion, the dealers could only get hold of it from Alpine to a price of ~£70!:dapprove:

I have also called my local dealer (who refuse to sell Alpine;) ) to see if he could help me out. He should contact me tomorrow when he have looked more deeply in to it, but he thoght he might have a solution to the problem.:approve: