ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Awful engine noise, non driveable 182

RB 182
Hi,

Had a bit of a rattle for the past few days, tightened a few things up etc then it went for a bit. On my way back from somewhere tonight and it's gone into tractor mode and is now undriveable :(.
Took a quick vid which captures the noise pretty well, thinking it is going to be very expensive...

Literally 2 days ago I had the exhaust, cat and 2 front tyres changed then MOT'd fine so needless to say i'm pretty pissed off at the minute!

Any wise words on what it is/guess at prices to get it fixed please guys...!?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ooooooofff, thats bottom end all day long. Engine is scrap

Bottom end sounding for sure, not necessarily scrap. Might be salvagable, but a used engine off eBay is gonna be cheaper. What's the history of the car with you? Does it see high, sustained RPM? What exactly did you tighten up?

RB 182
:( thought as much, Columbo only tightened little things such as the heatshield nothing to do with the engine, only had the car about 6-7 months and I haven't exactly treated it badly but before that I have no idea really, would that suggest it has had a pretty hard few years before I got it?

RB 182
I'm pretty useless when it comes to engines and stuff new enigne does seem to be the consensus though...Funnily enough I was coming back from Woking when it went!

RB 182
Cheers mate! Chertsey so about 15 mins? Budgie on here virtually lives opposite me as well i'm sure he'll see this at some point with a few suggestions..

FF Clio 182
Exactly the same as what mine sounded like. Spun bottom end ring bearing, stripped the sump to find 2 big shards of what was left of the bearing.

FF Clio 182
:( thought as much, Columbo only tightened little things such as the heatshield nothing to do with the engine, only had the car about 6-7 months and I haven't exactly treated it badly but before that I have no idea really, would that suggest it has had a pretty hard few years before I got it?

Like it is though don't matter how you treated it, if it was going to let go then it will.

Ok cool iv got access to a decent build shop as well but I reckon might be able to get away with just doing big ends. Depends when sump is off. Is it your main vehicle? Have you got a driveway? Offers there if you want a hand. Nice to know there's a few people local with clios

RB 182
Yeah what kangoo said is this just bad luck!? I can't believe it just spent about £700 on it 2 days of massive smiles then this...

As I said Joe i'm pretty crap when it comes to engines and stuff so I only have a vague idea of what you're talking about unfortunately :(, yeah it is my main car but can get insured on another for a while and have a couple of driveways if needed? Thanks mate really appreciate it i'm away Friday morning until Sunday eve so I may pm you after that if it's ok?

It's more likely to happen if servicing hasn't been great, s**t oil has been used, s**t oil filters, etc. Or if it's had a hard life.

Renault clio 2005
Bad Luck mate But won`t be to hard to find a decent replacement engine for a good price. Dunno why it happens tbh maybe a slight defect in the metal in the manufacturing process.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Bad Luck mate But won`t be to hard to find a decent replacement engine for a good price. Dunno why it happens tbh maybe a slight defect in the metal in the manufacturing process.

Are you for real?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Could You explain That quote (Are you for real?) I don`t Understand sorry I am slow on internet phrases mate. btw love your avatar car looks great :) :)

I believe after your thread about oil changes helping the longevity of a cambelt he (Tunsty) believes your comment, to be full of s**t.

HBT 172 Cup
Was bored earlier today when I was waiting to see a mate. But Not really bored overall tbh.

artworks-000041711095-f4xd7n-large.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Rob, did it come back fromt he garage knocking?

Also, do you have an RS tuner with a raised rev limit?

How often do you check/change your oil?

330i. E30 Touring.
Ouch. Doesn't sound good.

Just so happens I have an engine in stock. Will text you now mate.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Cheers mate! Chertsey so about 15 mins? Budgie on here virtually lives opposite me as well i'm sure he'll see this at some point with a few suggestions..

Are you the chap with the RB182 then? Engine does sound pretty poorly :eek:

Just push it down the road to Mike's and let him/us sort it if so, will keep him out of trouble for a few hours lol.

RB 182
Well expensive lesson learned, change your oil! Checked it this morning and it's been running dry so this has definitely fucked it. How often should it be changed as it was done about 2-3 months ago? Cheers Budge texting you now..

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well expensive lesson learned, change your oil! Checked it this morning and it's been running dry so this has definitely f**ked it. How often should it be changed as it was done about 2-3 months ago? Cheers Budge texting you now..

Did the low oil light not come on at all?

I probably checked mine on a weekly basis.

RB 182
No nothing at all, checked for leaks and nothing either which is why I didn't even think about it. Wise advice I think, will definitely be doing that in the future!