ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Black Gold Fine Scratches

Looking at my paintwork on my Black Gold 182 today and noticed a lot of fine scratches on bonnet . I have been a bit lazy lately and have been going to the hand car washers which must have caused it . Is there anything that i can use to get it back to normal and then i will use a lambswool mit and only hand wash it in future . Got a bottle of Auto Glym Paint Restorer but am a bit reluctent to use it yet until i get some feedback from you guys cheers ...

you need to get some meguiars scratch x to remove the scratches, and a bit of hard work should do it, i just bought a pc polisher that would shift it but that would cost you alot
dont go back to those hand car washes again, use wool wash mit from now on, and dry your car with a microfibre waffle towel

Black Gold 182

Not heard any feedback from people after using Autoglym paint restorer, but I know Meguiars do Scratch X which is a very good product. There are a few other products I think you can use at http://www.seriousperformance.co.ukwww.seriousperformance.co.uk, best bet might be to e mail the guy there, Alex, and he will point you in the right direction. Top bloke, top site.

[Edited by Nickyboy on 20 March 2005 at 6:10pm]

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

Blue 182 Youve gone and got yourself a PC too now, i think i will hae to get one. What was the grand total in pounds for the whole lot including delivery+tax, I suppose you got the sonus pad kit too.

Scratch X is great, buy some megs foam applicator pads aswell as they make applying easy and safe. Press lightly on the pad, only enough pressure to make contact. Take your time and inspect often you will find it takes several applications depending on the depth of scratch. Clean the pad with fairy liquid after incase you use it in future for waxing.

Black gold is an absolute pain to maintain. Wait till you get stone chips the white undercoat renault have used make them very obvious. My girlfiend borrowed the car and tailgated a gritter a month back, the front is riddled with small chips. going for a full front respray before the summer in may june. Im impressed that the lights never seem to chip despite looking like they are pretty thin plastic.

Cheers for the info guys i will take onboard what you say ... Starting to get a few stonechips on front and on windscreen ..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Topper - I gave mine the total wash and wax treatment yesterday and I must say, the quality of the black gold finish is pretty dire. Even after 6 years with the GT, the paint quality (especially after waxing) look really good - the 182 is looking worse after just a few months!

The skirt areas ahead of the front wheels and around the headlamp washers in particular, are riddled with surface scrathes, though I might take up the suggestions of people on here to get rid of them.

On the bright side, youre not alone with this!

D.

Not good is it Darren ,my Black GTI-6 was as bad that looked like it had fingerprints all over it in the sun. I think i will try that Swirl X and see if i can get it back but i aint happy .. Trouble is with summer coming and sunny days (hopefully) i want it right as it makes it look 10 times worse ....

Quote: Originally posted by Topper182 on 20 March 2005

Cheers for the info guys i will take onboard what you say ... Starting to get a few stonechips on front and on windscreen ..
i think your autoglym will take you forever, try scratch x it works alot quicker, you can also use such things like handglazes (clearkote vanilla moose for example) but again depends on how deep the scratch

Quote: Originally posted by optical on 20 March 2005

Blue 182 Youve gone and got yourself a PC too now, i think i will hae to get one. What was the grand total in pounds for the whole lot including delivery+tax, I suppose you got the sonus pad kit too.

Scratch X is great, buy some megs foam applicator pads aswell as they make applying easy and safe. Press lightly on the pad, only enough pressure to make contact. Take your time and inspect often you will find it takes several applications depending on the depth of scratch. Clean the pad with fairy liquid after incase you use it in future for waxing.

Black gold is an absolute pain to maintain. Wait till you get stone chips the white undercoat renault have used make them very obvious. My girlfiend borrowed the car and tailgated a gritter a month back, the front is riddled with small chips. going for a full front respray before the summer in may june. Im impressed that the lights never seem to chip despite looking like they are pretty thin plastic.

yeh i got the pc with sonus pad set, i also ordered a spare backing plate, it all came to £142 with shipping, they marked the parcel with a low value so i didnt pay any tax:) (ask they will do it for you).

you then need the transformer which i got from screwfix with an extension lead and plug, that came to £46.

if you buy one let me know as i can get you 12% discount from autopia

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

dont use paint restorer its meant for older cars really, i have some scrach x and it worked a bit on the bonnet never got round to doing any other panel.

Quote: Originally posted by Topper182 on 20 March 2005

There not really deep just looks like the sponge has made the scratches ...
scratch x is deffo your man, try the autoglym but from my experience its very mild and hard work.

I have got one on order , was going to get black /gold but due to error on the dealers part found it wasnt available in time and opted for inferno instead, I hope this proves to be a good decision

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 20 March 2005

dont use paint restorer its meant for older cars really, i have some scrach x and it worked a bit on the bonnet never got round to doing any other panel.
not true the autoglym one hes reffering to is for paint imperfections, wether it be a new or old car makes no difference, in fact its alot milder than the scratch x you used on yours :)

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 20 March 2005

i live in nottingham, trouble is if i did the bonnet the rest of the car would look dull ;)
what time shall i drop it of then? lol

how long would it take to do the full car?

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 20 March 2005

i live in nottingham, trouble is if i did the bonnet the rest of the car would look dull ;)
what time shall i drop it of then? lol

how long would it take to do the full car?

depends what you do, polishing is quick (aprox 30mins for a clio size car), but i like to wash and clay, then polish, then wax etc, could take a while :)

Laguna 2, Westfield

Dont use the paint restorer as a normal polish its really abrasive and will make it worse, its only for small bad areas like burnt on bird crap.

It only sounds like you have surface swirls that most cars get that are washed with a dirty sponge etc. All you need is a bottle of autoglym super resin (my choice - or your prefered quality polish) and some cotton polishing cloths.. you have to spend time polishing a car, hardly anyone i know does, mine looks like a total mirror with the use of autoglym, in the sun there are no swirls or spider web marks - only a mirror finish.(dark blue):cool:

[Edited by MarkRS on 20 March 2005 at 8:56pm]

Clio v6

I was wondering why people with a vast knowledge and equipment for removing swirls, cant avoid getting them in the first place?

no matter what you do , if you wipe your car down with anything you stand a chance of introducing swirls/marks to you car (with dust/grit etc), the real trick is to minimise the amount of swirls you cause by best practices, i.e 2 bucket method/ washing mits etc etc, you will never stop them but you can seriously reduce the amount you cause, then when you have caused some you can get them out easily:)
oh and most marks that were on my car came from when renault washed it before they supplied it to me

Quote: Originally posted by James on 20 March 2005

I was wondering why people with a vast knowledge and equipment for removing swirls, cant avoid getting them in the first place?
They can minimise them but the pc is a great polishing tool anyway for quickly applying both polishes and waxes. It realy works them in and people have commented that waxes last longer because the coat is more thin/uniform and worked in properly

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

to remove fine scraches/scuffs you need the 3m stuff the chipsaway guys use. i can get you some if you like (its available to trade only)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

cant remember the name off the top of my head, but its made by 3m. our bodyshop guys get thru tons of the stuff and we get it in 205s, but the last time the van came round he had some in 500ml bottles for bout £20. a 500ml would last one person a lifetme cos you wouldnt use it all the time, its only for scraches/scuffs and blemishes really, its also very good at sorting the faded laquer that red fords get. you know the matt finish all old red fords and vauxhalls end up as!

Ford Fiesta

you need to get some meguiars scratch x to remove the scratches, and a bit of hard work should do it, i just bought a pc polisher that would shift it but that would cost you alot

dont go back to those hand car washes again, use wool wash mit from now on, and dry your car with a microfibre waffle towel

I have always used a natural chomois as they dry the best and dont scratch.

I have not used anything synthetic that works as well. Does this?

Liam

it works alot better than a natural chamois, as natural chamois tend to trap the dirt between the leather and the car, hence scratching it, there is no were for the dirt to go, on a waffle weave the dirt can move up into the weave and thus avoiding contact with the paint, you need to buy a proper towel like the pakshak one but when you tried it you will never go back.

natural chamois do dry quick, but a proper waffle towel will do the job quicker

106 GTi

how much is that stuff ??, whats it called

The 3M bodyshop stuff is basically there equivilent to the Meguiars pro range. There are like for like products in both ranges.

For instance 3M imperial Hand glaze is the same product as Meguiars Show car glaze.

Any local bodyshop or Car Paint Supplier or local motorfactors should be able to sell you the 3M range if you want it.

http://cms.3m.com/cms/GB/en/1-6/uuekEX/view.jhtml

I used an AutoGlym Hydra Flexi blade at the weekend and it was brilliant at removing the water after washing. Used an Autoglym Aqua Dry chamois too, which I suspect is like a micro-fibre cloth and was very effective at removing water that the Flexi blade couldnt get at.

Ive always used Farclea G3 and super-fine G10 polishing compounds to remove scratches - fantastic stuff!