ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help ! engine conversion gone wrong!

Was drivin along today at about 60 when i smelt burning.

I thought nothing of it but pulled over 10 minutes later when the engine started smokin

:eek:

Smoke was comin from the zorst manfold. I have just had an engine conversion done. My car is a clio 1.2 but I got a 1.8 from a renault 19. It has race spec sports cams and piperx induction kit but the manifold is just the standard crappy one. Have i blown the manifold or even worse, the cams ?

Any help would be good, cheers fellow clio nutz !

Not a Clio

burning smell + smoke... checked the coolant? (obvious but 1st thing id be checking)

If you had "blown the manifold" youd get rather a lot of noise :)

There is not much coolant in there and its mostly black, is this normall ?

The guy who did it is on holiday. there are loads of wires next to the manifold that are hanging down and disconnected, would this have caused it? Im worried about my cams :cry: They cost loads.

Caddy Maxi

wont be owt to do witht he cams mate! probably just spilt oil on the manifold, makes a right stink and smokes a lot

the petrol light was flashin before it started smokin, but that couldnt have caused any damage could it ? there is oil on the back of the engine but dunno if that was there before

Quick update, mangaed to get a proper look at the car today.

There is a big hole in the side of the engine blocks.

My mate says it cant be fixed and ill need a new engine.

What I want to know is can i uses a clio 2.0 willy engine, will my sports cams work ? will my induction kit work? does anyone do a turbo for this engin, i want mega power :devilish: woz thinkin maybe 250 angry horsies!

Cams go in teh head so if the head fits cams will.

Good luck getting 250 bhop from a willy lump, clean16v was runngin 216 wiht extreme cams, headwork, bodies etc

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

why dont u fit a renault 5 turbo engine ive heard they are more reliable and easy to tune

Skoda Fabia vRS

if looked after properly a 5GTT turbo isnt that bad to be honest, its because they are abused they get a bad rep

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

iirc i ran my mint 5 turbo for 50000mls with no problems at all it was running 200bhp tbh.

Did you forget to put some oil in after the engine was fitted?

A Williams engine with a small amount of mods (cams, ECU remap, exhaust with de-cat & a good panel filter w. cold air feed should see off a CTR no probs.

I take it youve upgraded the suspension and brakes?

See ya

Matt

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i know a mate at work who could fit a turbo for your willy lump, hes just finished fitting a hybrid to his nova van claims to be running 25psi should be good for 300bhp. pm me if u want his number simmo mods.

Quote: Originally posted by simmo mods on 04 August 2005
So does ne1 now if i can get a big fat turbo for my willy engine then ?I really want ot beat my mate in his civic type r.

Contact BB your looking at 6k for the whole setup I think or £3k for the kit without the lower compresion pistons and the rebuilding down to you.
Or buy Nick Reads complete tubo Clio with all the bits and works for £5.5k (I think).

Thats a bit dear for my buget, cant i get a turbo from an astra diesel or sumthin and get it fitted to the willy cylinder head ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Thats a bit dear for my buget, cant i get a turbo from an astra diesel or sumthin and get it fitted to the willy cylinder head ?
LOL, and whilst your at it, i heard them resistors off ebay gave 50bhp, youd be laughing then!!

dear god....... :(

Unfortunatly not youd need a turbo from something like a 3.0 diesel. Plus setting it up is way more work than just fitting the turbo.

EVO VII

If only it was that easy, if you wanted to do it yourself it would still cost a lot

Custom Manifold

Turbo

Custom turbo downpipe

New ECU

e.t.c £££££££££££££££££££

get a full williams engine.

Im sure your cams wont work for the 2.0ltr mate, you will need to get them reprofiled. Anyway cams are pretty useless if you aint getting headwork and manifold work done also.

Get a williams engine and leave it with Andy & Ben for a while.

Better start saving:D

Hello fellow clio nutz got the car back tonight from my mate ( cheers malf ) who has just fitted a 1.8 valver lamp. It has sports cams, a flowed head job, piper x induction kit ( from a peugeot 406, read it and weep! pmsl its hoooj lol) turbo manifold, straight through exhaust and has been mapped up to about 180 angry snarlin stalions ! its well fast my missus keeps telling me to slow down 1!! pmsl my breaks feel not up to the job tho, what uprated pads should i get? my mate says clio 172 ones will fit, will these be enuff to tame the beast !!1

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

sounds great, that malf is something, 80 degrees valve guides, mmm my favourite. i would recommend green stuff pads, mate at work has them on his golf 16v , was out in it today, brakes were amazing shame about the tappety engine. felt like it was on 3 cylinders.

Caddy Maxi

yeah and get rid of the piper X induction kit! the max power ones from motor world are much better and give you about 5 bhp more than a piper X!!!!

pmsl@ 180bhp

More like 140bhp with your mods and thats me being generousl.

Turbo manifold, wtfs that all about??

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 16 August 2005

pmsl@ 180bhp

More like 140bhp with your mods and thats me being generousl.

Turbo manifold, wtfs that all about??

WTF are you talking about > a standard valver is 140 break but mines is heavily modded no way is it standard. my mate mapped it and says its nearly 180 break. its faster than a 172 anyway as i proved last night on bypass lmao

500bhp Scoob

think your mate is pulling your leg, over 40bhp up from standard. what you got on it then that would gain you that much power.

2 ebay resistor chips??

no, sports racing cams +10bhp, ported heads +10bhp, induction kit + 5bhp, str8 thru zorst +10 bhp, and a its chipped +5bhp too. = 180 bhp.

reaD IT AND WEEP !!!