ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Loud crack and someone behind flashing...

RB FF 182
Hey guys,

Went over a very subtle rut in the road whilst braking lightly ready to turn right and there was a crack, like a pane of glass cracking. Sound of a bit of debris and the guy behind flashing frantically.

There's now a rumbling from the rear and there is a squeak when going over bumps, the same as if the handbrake was on and you were pushing at the car.

It's obviously dark ATM but there's like a pipe on the underside of the car which runs behind the wheel and goes up into the boot??? There is like a subframe which is touching this pipe which is cracked and splintered???

What is this pipe and what could have happened. I'll take pics in morning.

Thanks guys.

RB FF 182
It's quite a big pipe, looks about an inch in diameter, although... Could it be the pipe from filler cap???

S4 Avant
That sounds epicly fucked.

As said, the large diameter black plastic pipe, runs from the filler cap to the petrol tank. No idea how you could have smashed that though, I'd say it sounds like you've ripped the thread off the top of a rear shock, driven on it, and the loose shock has made a bit of a mess.

RB FF 182
Hi guys I'll upload pics shortly. The pipe it's self doesn't appear to be damaged it is a plastic bar running over it from the front, to the back of the car. This bar is now touching the pipe and rubbing.

The rut was really nothing major at all, it was just like a dip in the road. Not a pot hole.

I managed to look with a torch last night, there is no fluid from the shock, and it is still bolted in ok. The only thing I could see last night is that the plastic cover on the spring is peelin away and the spring is rusty. Cracked spring???

Decent Pics will be up before mid-day.

RB FF 182
Hang about!

Looks like the top part of the rear passenger side calliper is missing!

Waiting for a friend to bring a trolley jack round. Will post pics.

RB FF 182
In the mean time here's a pic of the spring that I feel needs replacing. May get a set of lowering springs?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 118
  BMW M135i
Yeh the rear spring has sheared, nothing major to worry about just get them changed asap. Can lend a hand if you need it being local an all.

RB FF 182
Yeh the rear spring has sheared, nothing major to worry about just get them changed asap. Can lend a hand if you need it being local an all.

Ah cool!!

Creaks like mad now. Haha I'll order a pair of springs. Always best to change both sides perhaps rather than just the one. (although other spring looks in much better condition.)

If I get stuck I may just take you up on your offer. Thanks :)

RB FF 182
Right!

Ordered two rear OE springs, and got some shocks as well... even though they look OK i'm pretty sure they're crap!! lol

Ordered them from the marvelous NW performance! :-D

Are there any torque settings I need to stick to for the shocks/springs??

RB FF 182
Fitted two new shocks and springs today! Drives like a new car.

Passenger side was ok, I'd lost a huge chunk off the drivers side spring, AND the shock was gone on drivers side too!!

Thanks.