ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP : My main dealer put 10:40 oil in my 182??!!???

RenaultSport clio 182
Morning,
Just picked up my 182 from its 12,000 mile service and the main dealer (Bridges of Reading) had put 10:40 semi synth oil in. I questioned this, told them it should be 5:40 and the dealer disagreed. So we went inside so he could look it up and show me that I was wrong. I wasnt :D

So, next issue is that they do not have ANY 5:40 oil, they "simply dont keep it"? So after a little cat they have taken out the 10:40, changed the oil filter and put in 0:40 Mobil1 SuperSyn.

I told the dealer that "Im not a mechanic but I know someone who is and if they tell me that 0:40 is not correct Ill be back.... (Like Arnie but angrier). So, two questions....

1)Is 0:40 ok for my 182???

2)Should I take any further action or will no one care???

Oh, incidently, Bridges of Reading also wanted to charge me £275 for the service until I mentioned that I had called a main Renault dealer down the road and got a quote of £200. They then agreed to do the service for £200,

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Groover

182 Full Fat
I wouldn't worry too much. the 10w/40 stuff is standard at the dealers IIRC. But lots on here use 5w/40, as for the 0w/40, this is the stuff porsches etc usually use (higher performance) Either way i wouldn't panic about it. Other guys on here can probably tell you the difference the numbers make in oil grades:S

RenaultSport clio 182
ok, sounds like all should be ok then (So now I have the Porsche oil just need the engine, body and dodgy dress sense now and Ill be a porshe owner :)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i use the 10w40 oil from renault in my 172 i buy it in the 25 litre drums,its only a crummy renault mate

www.renparts.co.uk
kingcutgroover said:
ok, sounds like all should be ok then (So now I have the Porsche oil just need the engine, body and dodgy dress sense now and Ill be a porshe owner :)
and you will require something to shrink your penis ;)

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
For a British climate, 10w/40 is fine to -20 at cranking. Imo, 0:40 + 5:40 are to low a viscosity, also i was told, albeit by Renault, to use fully synthetic oil after i had bedded in the engine, semi wont nearly last the service interval (I dont think for a second fully synch will either and reccommend a change between 5 and 8 thousand)