ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Needed! I Think its bad...

FF Clio 182
Driving around then suddenly stop light and battery light illuminated then went out and as i slowed down engine started making a really horrible noise. Managed to get it home and on idle makes a really loud knocking noise. Turned it off for a while then turned it back on and it struggled to turn over almost like the battery was low.

Help...

Here is quick video i managed to get record - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkKs_4jgTg&feature=youtu.be

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
might be saveable depending on whats gone, thats IF you dont continue to use it like that.

so your left with two options, chuck another lump in or fix yours ( dependent on inspection)

FF Clio 182
Going to get it in the garage Monday. Knocking sounds like to coming from the top end. Can it be repaired or would I need a new engine ?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Going to get it in the garage Monday. Knocking sounds like to coming from the top end. Can it be repaired or would I need a new engine ?

its depends on inspection, whats gone before the conclusion can be made. hope your taking it to a trader? renault will just fob you off on that lol

exactly what happened to my dci when the engine first went tits up. motorway run, came back to normal speeds and thumper started playing in the engine

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I think you can get ACL's in oversize. Time and effort it's cheaper to drop another lump in.

true, cost me about 500 to get my bottom end redone after it failed. dci engines aint cheap tho, BUt 500 gets a bare bones f4r on here usually( without timing redone )

FF Clio 182
you can only guess mate, get it recovered and sent off for a inspection. depending on what had gone, you then make the choice on the costs involved.

Engine only got 55k on the clock. Get it towed to garage Monday and wait a quote unless anyone on here could tow it and fix it

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
must have just spun a shell then, or I suppose a valve could have dropped a bit (they normally fully drop though).

FF Clio 182
Come to the conclusion it is the small end bearing as the knocking is mainly at top end and is more noticeable when you blip the throttle. May consider getting it rebuild but can get an engine for £500 and fitted for about £400, plus will be cheap to get cam belt/aux and clutch changed whilst the engine is out.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if your sure its the small end, it might be cheaper to rebuild. someone like Dan could confirm this im sure.

53 Clio's & counting
Come to the conclusion it is the small end bearing as the knocking is mainly at top end and is more noticeable when you blip the throttle. May consider getting it rebuild but can get an engine for £500 and fitted for about £400, plus will be cheap to get cam belt/aux and clutch changed whilst the engine is out.

I'd be looking at big ends mate - the resonance of the knocking can make it sound like it's top - I've had that in a clio before.

Tbh mate fit another engine - if it's span a shell ( which I'd lay a big bet it has) it would be cheaper to change than rebuild.

Pm dan (sjm) and see what he can do for you dude

FF Clio 182
I'd be looking at big ends mate - the resonance of the knocking can make it sound like it's top - I've had that in a clio before.

Tbh mate fit another engine - if it's span a shell ( which I'd lay a big bet it has) it would be cheaper to change than rebuild.

Pm dan (sjm) and see what he can do for you dude

Yh have already messaged him and got a quote.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
not really, you need allot more stuff to do a bottom end build. head off ect. so gaskets/ bolts and what not all add up! new engine and throw a timing kit on. job done