ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help with getting my strut off

rallyspec 1.4 & 1.8 16v
doesnt look like my struts been off in the 105k its covered its absolutly welded on at the top.
as soon as you put a bit of pressure to hold the damper, the top starts to expand.
I managed to get one side off by putting a set of molegrips around the top of the damper once I had the allen key in, this managed to stop it from distorting and it came free.
that wont work on the other side ands its rounded :(

03 RS clio 172 flameR
If its rounded you pretty much left with a couple of options.

1. cry
2. attack it with a drill! if you try and go in though the alan key hole as a guide but it will be hardened steel so will need be carful, dont know if anyone else has an idea?

rallyspec 1.4 & 1.8 16v
Iv been through stage 1. :(
I was going to try and weld a bit of rod to it and see if that would hold it, if that doesnt work I think the drill will be coming out. I need the strut relativly reusable (as a spair) if possible.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
btw how rounded is it? i used a spark plug socket, knocked the rubber bung out the middle, then put it on with an alan key through the middle, then got a spanner on top of the spark plug socket?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
O dear... if thats the case the drill must be withdrawn. i take it the shocker is fooked? is so there is another option, if you can get to it, file two big flat spots on the strud shaft from within the wheel arch, then get the mole grips on the flatspot and undo the bolt with a socket?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
air gun it with the car wheels on the floor, it WILL come off

yes true, if you dont have one, go to your local garrage, pop the bonnent and ask them waz it off, then tighten it up by hand (not to tight) drive home normally and jobs a gooden

Clio Mk2 Ph1
yea mine was proper stuck on at the top mount like yours, so i took mine to the local garage and got them to air gun it off, came off no problem at all

rallyspec 1.4 & 1.8 16v
ok cheers guys I tried an air gun but it just span.
I thought it was on the floor but I didnt actually check if it was 100% just let the ramp down. Ill try that again with it definitely on the floor, would it be worth jacking it under the lower arm to put a little bit more pressure on the spring?

Obsessive

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Did a search for this very topic as I too am having problems. Loads of good advice chaps cheers.