ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heres a strange one... (Cruise control on a 182)

Clio 182
Just come 4 hours from leeds. On the way up there was no issue, but coming back down home 7 out of 10 times, when i put my left indicator on, it cancelled the cruise control?? Initially i thought it was the judder from cat's eyes triggering the brake sensor but after a hour or so it was clear that it was the left indicator!

What on earth is up with the darn thing this time??

Clio.
Make sure the indicator bulb and brake lamp bulb aren't interfering (transferring) across each other, i.e. with the indicator on and brakes pressed, the brake dims with each flash of the indicator, we had a problem like this with a car that had cruise.
It transfers enough to bring the brake lamp on, thus thinking the brakes are pressed and canceling the cruise.
Matt@CRM

Make sure the indicator bulb and brake lamp bulb aren't interfering (transferring) across each other, i.e. with the indicator on and brakes pressed, the brake dims with each flash of the indicator, we had a problem like this with a car that had cruise.
It transfers enough to bring the brake lamp on, thus thinking the brakes are pressed and canceling the cruise.
Matt@CRM

That would make sense also. its definately shorting through somewhere.

Thinking about it, ive seen quite a few with water in the rear light connector so thats possible.

Clio 182
nice one thanks all. would it be relevant that sometimes when I put my brakes on or indicate that the rear fog light symbol on the dash flickers a bit?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
nice one thanks all. would it be relevant that sometimes when I put my brakes on or indicate that the rear fog light symbol on the dash flickers a bit?

i wish i had a pound for every time i read about this problem!! ive had it on two clios out of the 3 ive owned!! lol

its exactly the cause of your problem, the N/S/R light cluster plug is corroded and therefore arcing out some of the connections a live to go back down the brake light wire making the ECU think you're braking, and sending a live back down the foglight wire causing the dash light to come on!!

once your ECU thinks you're braking, it will cancel the Cruise control!!

you may be able to clean the connection up and rectify this problem, or you may have to get a new plug and bulb holder!

Clio 182
amazing. i'll pull it out and have a look tomorrow. failing that its booked in with ktec for a service this week so i'l see what they make of it! as always, thankyou!