ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi, Need some advice been offered a clio mk2 ph1 172 sport

'52 clio dci
Hi,

I have been offered a black (X registered) Clio Sport ph1. Its done 79,000 miles with some history, had a cambelt done in late 2005 and the usual service items around 60,000 miles. Anyway, the price is shockingly cheap at 1500.00!

I have been to view the car and its in good condition considering the price! The bodywork is in good condition with the usual scuffs and knocks, interior is immaculate! The engine has a very slight rattle when cold, but once warm the rattle goes and the engine seems to pull strongly and idle perfectly. Spoke to a Renault dealership and they said there prone to rattling when cold, so don't worry about it. All in all it seems a very good car! I work for Delphi, so I used our own diagnostics equipment and recieved two fault codes from the ecu.

1) Immobilizer circuit fault - intermitent (not sure about this one, the car started perfectly over 10 starts though!?!)
2) Lambda sensor fault - permament (easy to fix - 100.00 for a new sensor)

Had the common TDC sensor fault replaced a year ago... receipts for alot of general servcing work.

However, it has no MOT, but I've give it a very check over and its solid might need brake pads and your general servicing items, but thats about it.

Can anyone advise whatelse to look for?? Because at that price it seems to good to pass on, even if it does need a little bit of work for the MOT

Cheers Lee

Sounds good mate. Nice price. Try your luck getting it cheaper! Cars are struggling to sell at the moment.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Sounds like a rough example. Its cheap for a very good reason.

Starting problem will most likely be the key which costs 180 quid to reaplace.

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
There's a couple of good buyers guides floating around on here (if I remember correctly?) if you search...

'52 clio dci
can anyone bullet point a few areas to look at... as Im not a member and can't look at the buyers guides...

Cheers Lee

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
It's only about a fiver to join isn't it? C'mon man, there's a wealth of information available... If you're serious about buying a 172 it's the best money you can spend. Will save you loads in the long-run. :)

'52 clio dci
Hi Guys,

WellI brought the car yesterday. Only problem with the car is a slight rattle from the engine on tick over, but other than that the car drives perfect and performs all through thh rev range

Worse case is that I have to rebuild the engine or buy a secondhand replacement, but still can't complain because the car was very cheap!

I found a receipt from a tuning company Hillpower for over £1700 worth of work in late 2005, includes the following

cambelt replacement
performance clutch
uprated spark plugs
uprated HT leads
Stage 1 ECU chip
Modified inlet manifold

And a rolling road print out at 162bhp at the wheels.

Il post some pictures up later.

Cheers Lee