ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Amount of Previous Owners

Hi All

Interested in a Clio 182 which has come up for sale, problem is it has a large amount of previous owners.

04 plate, done less than 70,000 miles with full service history and receipts - problem is that I'd be the 10th owner!!

Now I've spoken to the guy and he sounds extremely genuine and more than welcome for me to go give it a check over.

Apparently the last owner was 3 of the previous owners (due to a divorce and putting on a business) so that takes it to down to 8 owners technically, and he owned it for a couple of years and did all the custom work.

Registration is : LY04 UGE

322f1c187b4ab341b64f74035372d1f1.jpg

Something to be avoided with so many owners?

I'm not sure as I know a 182 can be a bit of a fill in toy for a short space of time

Many Thanks

James

Well, it's white for a start which makes you wonder why it was white - respray due to crash damage or just because someone felt like it? Custom colour cars always put me off for this reason, but it's just as possible it has a genuine history.

Hard to say :smile:. It also has badman numberplates and tints, so may give you an idea of who/how its been owned in the past, but that's not really fact.

Does it have FSH?

Megane R26
I'd be abit hesitant myself, my previous 172 had 10 owners before me but it was a brilliant car and glad I went for it in the end

Maybe it's just me being over careful

I just thought each owner had only done say 7000 miles each, and possibly found a problem or something

But with full service history, and all belts down at a proper place with receipt for it too

My Corsa is on similar mileage, 05 plate, and I'm only the 3rd owner...think this just made me doubt it

I'm waiting to hear back regarding how long he's had it

The owner before him had it for a couple of years (and did all the work I believe)

Agreed, I thought the 198bhp was a bit of an exaggeration, but I thought it may be possible with remap, decat, exhaust, but my knowledge of 182's is limited

Number of owners has never caused me to worry. I am a used car salesman and 90% of our customers really care about how many previous owners cars have had / the previous owners name / where they lived / how long they owned the car / how many miles the previous owner did. (Frankly ridiculous in my eyes) But it's the way people are told to be these days!

I notice you are a noob and don't currently have a Clio, so if you are new to them then I'd advise you have a search on here for a 'Buyers guide' which will show you how to look it over properly and check the common areas.

Providing it all checks out and a is a good base, I wouldn't let it put you off.

They look great in white, so provided it is a straight car with some history, and you look after it - you won't have much trouble moving it on in the future.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
May be wrong here but I think I recognise the reg. Dig through the paperwork and see if it used to be a black gold and if it had damage to the rear &passengers side.

May be wrong here but I think I recognise the reg. Dig through the paperwork and see if it used to be a black gold and if it had damage to the rear &passengers side.
I believe it used to be Blue, that's what came up on a HPI Check.

Interestingly, they haven't informed the DVLA on the colour change, well DVLA recognise it as having no colour change and originally blue.

It is HPI clear which should cover the knock?

Clio 200 Raider
From memory this was up for sale recently on ebay for around 3.5k i think.
Search for old ebay listings.
The guy must not have had it long if hes selling it on again

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
It is HPI clear which should cover the knock?

Only write offs would show on HPI, it could have been damaged and not gone through insurance.....

Of course, the colour change could be purely down to choice and nothing sinister at all!

I've tried eBay completed listings but struggling to find it when searching 'White 182' or 'White Clio'....

Would really appreciate if anyone could help me!!

Apparently current owner has had it around 3 months, so not that long...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Number of owners has never caused me to worry. I am a used car salesman and 90% of our customers really care about how many previous owners cars have had / the previous owners name / where they lived / how long they owned the car / how many miles the previous owner did. (Frankly ridiculous in my eyes) But it's the way people are told to be these days!

Resale value

Clio 200 Raider
I've tried eBay completed listings but struggling to find it when searching 'White 182' or 'White Clio'....

Would really appreciate if anyone could help me!!

Apparently current owner has had it around 3 months, so not that long...

im struggling to find it aswell looked through completed listings and old emails might be over the 3 months so not on the site anymore

Clio 2.0 16v 182
If wasn't originally a black gold then that's one nightmare you can cross off the list lol.

But seriously, previous owners isn't really a bad thing. The undeclared white paint IS. I'd do a full and thorough inspection on a white or non standard colour mk2

Just buy a different, none hidden past, white (not original) car.
Problem is finding one...there's one on eBay at the moment - problem is he's asking over £3000 and it's done 102,000 miles

It's also the small bits which add up which the one I'm interested in has - carbon bits, suspension, speakers and the rota grids have got to be worth a fair bit more than the standard 182 alloys!

And when it's only done less than 70,000 miles too....

Hearts saying yes, heads saying there's got to be something wrong...thinking I should listen to my head

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
These cars are 10 years olf now so that is prob below average miles

Looks good in white bit as others have said id be very cautious, does look good though

Why did renault not offer them in white!!

Sounds like me when I bought mine.. but I took the plunge because I wanted a white one and mine is a complete white shell through out.

However I've probably spent the value of 4 Clio's on it so far....

Depends what you want the car for, but it sounds like your worried about resale already which means... don't bother

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
It is the sort of car;
a) people buy cheap, realise they might not be able to afford to maintain it, sell it on.
b) buy it to 'experience' the hype, sell it on.

It wouldnt bother me if it drives well and if you can tell its been looked after.

I am the 13th owner of my car. Could be a record on here?

I can see why, it can be used everyday but there are better cars for that task.

With any older car it is better to buy on condition and recent history, rather than mileage or how many owners it has had.