ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hill Power - ECU and Silicone hose kit!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 11 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 11 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by ian172 on 11 May 2004

what is the break horse power increase with this ecu??????????????
The BHP gains are slim to none but the gains come in the torque department and the rev limiter is increased.

How can you gain torque without BHP?

;)
As you can tell I dont know and I dont pretend to know anything about the workings of an engine, all I know is that the new ECU does something to make the car go faster ! LOL !

:oops:

What does it do then ? Just for future reference ? Does it increase BHP/torque ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No. it just "moves" the power and torque to another section of the rev range. its mostly about improving throttle response and smoothing out the torque curve. i think bhp is increased by a couple of horses tho.

I would like to have a go in an rsport pcmd cup.

After seeing Chris n nics R-sport Cup at Curborough I made up my mind there and then that I wanted the ECU, that is one fast Clio !

:D

I have a Mk2 172 and had the Hillpower Group N ECU and IK fitted at the beginning of the year. To be honest I found the effects to be marginal to non-existent. Re the rpm it is no different at idle from before, but the rev limit is indeed higher. Sometimes the idle rpm tends to search/pulse a little - that was confirmed on here as a "known feature" of the ECU.

Got to admit I wish Id spent the £600 elsewhere. I now run a Caterham 7 so all my money goes on that instead...

Gareth

Quote: Originally posted by gmdh555 on 12 May 2004

I have a Mk2 172 and had the Hillpower Group N ECU and IK fitted at the beginning of the year. To be honest I found the effects to be marginal to non-existent. Re the rpm it is no different at idle from before, but the rev limit is indeed higher. Sometimes the idle rpm tends to search/pulse a little - that was confirmed on here as a "known feature" of the ECU.

Got to admit I wish Id spent the £600 elsewhere. I now run a Caterham 7 so all my money goes on that instead...

Gareth
Really !? Hmmmmmmm. I have to ask, how £600 ? The ECU is £270 and the IK is £100 IIRC ?

19 16V

Wouldnt be the first time Nick Hills ECUs have caused problems, couple of valvers werent allowed on dyno at a meet because the engines were pinking so badly with that particular ECU.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 12 May 2004

I dont get it.

All this GrpN stuff.

If you read the regs for GrpN cars then engines especially are std....cams a no no so i dont see how they could be anything but std cams if they are grpN.

The GrpN ECU for that reason isnt expecting a wild cam.
when i was down at hillpower once he mentioned something about renault cams. not sure if there supposed to be group n but there definatly renault cams from some series the clio is used in. he did say the inlet cam was near enough the same but the exhaust cam is quite different. any ideas?

All race series where the F4R are used remain in std spec and dont make over 200bhp in any of them.

i did have the piper cams and r-sport ecu cam ecu fitted on my 172 (mk2) and it just caused loads of problems

idle was at 1300rpm (real pain in traffic)

main reason for taking the ecu off was it retarding the vvt at 5500rpm so lost all top end power

following this i had a unichip fitted and mapped at nobles in chesterfield (493 fitted and mapped) since then alls been fine

Maybe the R S ECU for the 172 is fecked up? I know the trouble mathew had with his and if his idled stupidly high, maybe Mikes is the same!

Dont like the sound of it messing with the VVT ? It works fine on the Cup tho doesnt it ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, was going to go for this chip and now I am not so sure.

:confused:

i have the gorup N ECU, custom built exhaust and induction kit from hillpower. ticks over at 800rpm and gave a good power increase. doesnt make any difference with tick over with air con on either. much better at top end of revs now and pulls away with a bit more grunt. anyone had the inlet manifold modified as well yet? Nick reckons this gives it more power as well. Nick to finish off lowering kit as well some point in the next two weeks. had no problems with any tick over at all from start- exhaust rattling now but thats from the person who hit me from behind!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Im going to reserve judgement on my Group N ECU until Ive tried it out at York next month. Higher tickover doesnt bother me at all, so as long as I get an improvement in my times Ill be happy.

I think one benefit of the ECU is the incresed rev limit, which lets you do about 100 in 3rd and I understand, about 125 in 4th so I would imagine in a 0 - 100 dash youre saving 1 gear change...
The idle was fine after a few minutes first thing - I had the inlet manifold too.

[Edited by ak_uk on 15 May 2004 at 1:54am]

I had the inlet done 1st off a month before the other mods and it did feel stronger after that. id recomend getting it done

Quote: Originally posted by ak_uk on 15 May 2004

I think one benefit of the ECU is the incresed rev limit, which lets you do about 100 in 3rd and I understand, about 125 in 4th so I would imagine in a 0 - 100 dash youre saving 1 gear change...

The idle was fine after a few minutes first thing - I had the inlet manifold too.

[Edited by ak_uk on 15 May 2004 at 1:54am]

Does 98 ish in 3rd with "R Sport ECU".

anyone fancy going to hillpower? i want the manifold and chip 2....what about if the car goes in 4 servicing..will the chip be wiped? cheers guys..wat is the number anyways?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i really dont see the point in chipping a 172/cup unless u have had lots of other mods done first, ie head work, cams, inlet mods, filter, de cat, exhaust then have it chipped on a dastek or smt6 and suited to all other mods. just chucking in a "grp n" chip on a basically standard engine is just a waste of time and money. u aint going to get any increase, its all in your head.

have a blast in a cup with a proper piggyback and then youll change your mind pretty darn quickly.

when i had a ride in sluggers car it was awesome mate and with 8rpm limiter raised it makes a big difference!!! defo gonna have one for sure

Clio 172 cup 300bhp

I had the rsport ECY on my 03 plate cup and when removed it the early rev limiter o f the standard chip seemed to come in earlyier! But it doesnt increase horsepower at all! Just rases the limiter to 7800rpm so in gear time with rsport ecu were as follows 69mph 2nd, 98 in 3rd, 126mph 4th and 155+mph in 5th! I now have a 53 plate cup without chip as is unique to car and really wanted to get one, BUT I am glad I haven;t as on castle combe racing my good friend PEP his car was no quicker we still the same, infact pep felt that out the corners mine pulled quicker! We both have dec cat pipes and filters! Rsport in wimbeldon do a new chip, but were still testing it when I was considering getting one, is more expensive but should increase power!

I will post this topic in mechanical as well! A week ago I fitted an ecotec valve to my CUP as my other friend chris has and I had one on my rover turbo and it made a huge difference to consuimpotion and throttle response. I am pleased to say that the intial throttle response is loads better on my CUP and Mid range is noticable stronger! All magazines rated the Ecotec valve highly when lauchned and with vvti I was sceptical, but is definately the best mod so far on me cup! Especially as is only £40!!! It toke me 10mins to fit and I also now get a minimum of an extra 25miles out of a full tank of fuel on computer!!

sounds good mate...dont think anyone appreciated your post though he he...does raisin the limiter to nearly 8rpm damage the engine in anyway? i know certain engines are bench tested to a higher rpm but i dont want to blow the bluddy thing up!!!