ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

history of the 172 engine pls

VW Potato

one thing Ive never really had explained to me, is the history of the 172 engine. Just simple stuff really. Is the block shared with anyother 2ltr reno? Did it start life as a 2.0, or was it a bored out 1.7? If it is bored out, how old is the 1.7 engine? Does this engine share a block with the Clio 16v (williams etc type fast clios). Is the head unique to the 172 or shared with a emgane/laguna etc?

I like to know about an engines roots.

Thank you.

g

my 1.2 is brand new, but some of the stuff under the bonnet looks ancient?

does it share the same underpinnings as the early clios? looks like it

19 16V

Lets put it this way, nothing in your car is brand new spanking design that has never been used before... cars are evolutionary

the F4R is a development of the f7R engine, wich is a bored out version of the f7p. all block dimensions r the same thruout the engines, however the f4r has a chain driven oil pump, rather than shaft driven from the cambelt. this was changed due to poor circulation and oil cavitation issues on the f7s. becus of the new oil circulation layout, the oil gallerys r different compared to the f7s, therefore u cant fit a 172 head on a 1.8 block or watever

jimbo

I read the 2.0ltre is the same from the magan/scenic2.0l (140bhp) just with added VVT and tuning from renualtsport or the proper name which is french and I cant rememer it!!!! there was a guy at last years motor show that knew everything about it.. I was too busy looking at the 172 to care.. god Im bored

The block is essentially shared between lagunas, meganes, the 2ltr turbos in the up and comming megane sport, scenic turbo and Vel Satis.

The head casting is different to the other normal F4Rs which is a basic engine code and the 3 digit number after the F4R prefix denotes the spec. 172 beign F4R 730. Doesnt really share anything with any other engine. The ports are different and roughly machined after. It does share the same valve train assembly and roller followers as the rest of the F4Rs though.