ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hodgins' Liquid Yellow 182 + DCi Van

Focus RS + S3
been meaning to do this for a while (2 years lol) so here it goes....

After having a lift in a new 182 cup in RB when i was about 12 and since that day I was hooked and wanted a 182, then outside my house one day a LY pulled up and my mind was then made up.

struggling to find a LY 2 years ago, they were fetching £6-£8k and then i came across this one in a dealership so had a look,
dsc001357.jpg

the wheels were god damn awful but I could see potential, a few issues, belts were overdue, the mirror had been replaced at some point in its life and painted by stevie wonder, no cup packs, but mechanically it was sound, renault service history so I made an offer,

after doing my research on the forum I found the common problems and used them to knock the dealer down quite a large amount so the money saved would give me the cup packs i wanted. Basically stole the car from him, left a deposit and went home in my saxo to come back and pick it up after the weekend.

I took my time driving home, with the horror stories of belts going in the back of my mind, but got home safe, for a well deserved bit of TLC

please excuse the wheels, wouldnt be as bad if they were 16" lol

dsc00511dm.jpg

dsc00509vu.jpg

dsc00514r.jpg

the clio stayed in the garage for a few weeks while i got the funds together for the belts so i got started on tidying up in the meantime, mirror caps were removed and sent for spraying
dsc00526jm.jpg

some clean plates:
dsc00522sx.jpg

and a cup spoiler ready for painting:
dsc00523my.jpg

some new mats:
dsc00541e.jpg

and then my favourite part
dsc00529bl.jpg

not ashamed of driving it anymore now lol

the lower pulley on the aux belt was starting to whine so booked into birchdown for the belts to be done too and made the 3 hour drive up, brilliant service and i knew thse were the guys who would be looking after the clio, and to get a cheeky snap of the nemo too
dsc00532nq.jpg

got the new wheels on, along with a Mazda 3 MPS aerial to get rid of the original as it was just too big, whilst keeping it looking OEM, still no mirror caps :(
dsc00531rx.jpg

dsc00543j.jpg

i wanted to drive the clio so made some temporary mirror caps out of thick black bags just in case water got in lol

and to give the front end some love, a carbon splitter off the forum and also got the new plates fitted, again still no miror caps, painter kept letting me down
dsc00534s.jpg

dsc00533ts.jpg

then i had a phonecall, my parts were ready to be picked up from painting, so got them fitted straight away
dsc00571gd.jpg

also bodged the exhaust mounts to get the exhaust sitting a lot better, not much life left in the standard system :(
dsc00598j.jpg

dsc00570qb.jpg

also got the mirror caps on and got the saxo ready for sale :'(
and took the silvervisions out of the saxo and popped them in the clio
dsc00580v.jpg

dsc00578k.jpg

this was ready for my first FCS with the clio after going in the saxo previous years
dsc00557wg.jpg

then followed by TRAX, nearly lost the back end a few times on the way home from trax so new rear shocks were needed and solved the issue, got them from wests renault (Tom)
dsc00594rv.jpg

At trax i saw the 3/4 plate and how much it tidies the front end up so palced an order with fancy plates
dsc00608s.jpg

and i also hate the standard sidelight look compared to xenons, and not a fan of LED i put blown sidelight bulbs in so the hole is filled but obviously dont work, much better :)
img0109lq.jpg

really happy with how the car looks now, and went to my first meet
502166179808704ce166b.jpg

502165293262d47675ceb.jpg

5021654842390089ca66b.jpg

by this point i was starting to get sick of the ride height but with winter around the corner i thought id leave it untill after
glad i did as we had pretty bad snow that year

img0004wtd.jpg

with my mates monaco 172
img0007hg.jpg

the winter took its toll on my exhaust :(
img0043fn.jpg

img0042vj.jpg

my mate had a spare milltek in his shed (as you do lol) which he had replaced under warranty, so had it doged on for now until i could afford a new exhaust

img0045ot.jpg

some more meets were attended and after scott took this picture, that was it, the cars getting lowered, ASAP!

img0112vc.jpg

so at the time the group buy on the K-tec coilovers was on, be rude not to and would fulfil my lowering needs for now
img0114vsp.jpg

img0116vq.jpg

img0122dl.jpg

now we're talking! and then the inevitable happened :(
oh well, bodge it back on, and the splitters been abused daily ever since
img0146yt.jpg

loved the look of the car now, transformed from the sh1tty wheel stage, so next on the list was to sort the exhaust, MOT tester said the milltek was starting to crack (again) so paid a visit to charlie in prospeed
top guy, i wanted something aftermarket looking but not too obvious, so went with a 3" inward rolled tip, also had new mounts and the cat mod done too
img0263in.jpg

img0342c.jpg

my friend with the monaco, had a polybushed dog-bone and he was trading the car in, so a quick swap around in the morning before the car went. would have been a waste otherwise lol
img0350hj.jpg

and the clio stayed like this for quite a while, with just general servicing and some more bits and bobs tidying, and attending the shows, FCS CSS TraX etc (handful of pics as ive got way too many)

5800151937a5d4acabe1b.jpg

cheers to harpham for the pic btw :)

5800153991e9b7812155b.jpg

fcs114.png

fcs111.png

59952289893f41d5a6e5b.jpg

us welsh lot:
5995093397e3241fd730o.jpg

also fitted a carbon front diamond off Kris182 as i fitted his coilovers for him :)
599501700107b3de356eo.jpg

some more meets were attended (cardiff bay with millennium stadium in background):
cardiffbaymeet20116.jpg

cardiffbaymeet7.jpg

cardiffbaymeet2011.jpg

cardiffbaymeet20113.jpg

theres more to come, ill update the thread with pictures when i get them off my phone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  E85 3.0i
Re: Hodgins' Liquid Yellow 182

Made a great job mate really tidy, glad I'm not the only one who had a LY with no cup packs!!!!!

Focus RS + S3

thanks for the kind words :)

i wasnt too bothered about the cup packs, if i was paying top dollar then it would have been a must, but for the price paid, i couldnt turn my nose up to it lol
i was going to put different suspension on and a carbon splitter anyways :)

got some more pics uploading, should have done this as i went along haha

clio 172 phase 2

Some of them pics are epic mate ! Really nice ly you got there ! Whats next then?

Focus RS + S3

img0360ye.jpg

the only pic i personally took at clio sport Saturday lol

this was when MT Audio fitted my aux cable, (top guy) and it went with my CD changer (update list running both) which i purchased off the forum and fitted when i first had the car but forgot lol
img0727eg.jpg

img0731o.jpg

a friend was selling his carbon bonnet off his inferno 182 so before it was advertised i thought id try it on for size ;)

img0346wf.jpg

img0345pv.jpg

img0347nz.jpg

yummy weave! i was hoping to hate it, it took my fancy but in the end left it alone, didnt know if i liked it

some more pics of it how it more or less stands today
img0311k.jpg

img0310gx.jpg

img0309xk.jpg

img0307xz.jpg

after taking these pics i noticed my exhaust wasnt aligned too great, so took it back to prospeed where the backbox and tips were all re-aligned and braced to the chassis using rubber mounts, sits bang on now :)
charlies exhausts with their lifetime warranty are worth their weight in gold
img0678hv.jpg

after having a knocking noise coming from the front end, i put it down to top mounts, so ended up purchasing the pure motorsport solid top mounts and strut brace package, brilliant quality and looks awesome so with the day off i got my hands dirty

img0640pd.jpg

during at my garage, better known as HodgeTech Auto Services lol (like FailSport just not as established lol):

you can see the acoustic valve on the floor to the right, this was binned whilst the car was in the air
img0643n.jpg

job done :)
the stickers on the grill were missing when i purchased the car, so some replacement ones were ordered off wests renault
bracei.jpg

brace2.jpg

Also had a visit from some yellow friiiiiiieeends (dyson is rocking the yellow theme too :eek:)
img0647ax.jpg

whilst fitting the brace, new track rod ends,ball joints and 4 new pirelli p-zeros were fitted, but the knock remains, going to have to dig deeper :(
as you can imagine with the suspension setup being messed with so much, it was all over the place, so to preserve my tyres i got the car 4 wheel aligned
img0662wx.jpg

the handling even on my k-tecs has been greatly improved, and now i got the handling bug so, in future looking for a more performance oriented coilover, whitleline ARB and some powerflex bushes,

and thats it upto date, ive missed loads but itll do for now lol

this is the most recent picture after cleaning the salt off last weekend, wish i hadn't bothered as the cars now white, oh well
img0679lb.jpg

done about 20,000 in the clio now, in over two years, all that glitters isnt always gold (well, liquid yellow lol) ive had my fair share of problems as at the end of the day its a clio, Gearbox and power steering to name the major ones, but all running lovely now (shouldnt have said that)

it still doesnt fail to turn heads, and even myself i still look back when i walk away from the car in the nights, sad i know, but its just a nice feeling, since wanting something from being young, working my ass off for it and now having one

ive got a few little bits i want to sort when the weather breaks and if i can land my new job, im looking for some recaros, and will be looking down the performance route, we'll see

cheers for reading :)

Last edited:
  Octavia VRS LE

about time adam, took your time getting a thread together, really good transformation thou mate, cant believe how it first looked, no wounder you wanted no one to see. lovely car now thou mate keep it up

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

nice read and a nice car that you saved, looked in need of some tlc, glad you didnt leave the carbon bonnet on it looked pants. :p

PH1 iceburg

Nice car and good save from the looks of the state you brought it in.

Focus RS + S3

nice pics mate! How much is ur car lowered and what springs?
its on k-tec coilovers mate, not sure how much but its a similar drop to apex so id say roughly 40mm
Awsum read Hodgins have to catch up soon.
cheers mate, yeah ill see you at the meet next month
Great turnaround. Glad you didn't get the carbon bonnet :dead:.

Also, glad you like my photos from FCS ;).

lol, one of my favourite pics, i remember seeing you take it, you can see me facing the camera lol

about time adam, took your time getting a thread together, really good transformation thou mate, cant believe how it first looked, no wounder you wanted no one to see. lovely car now thou mate keep it up
yeah she was hidden for a while, god knows where the wheels came from as the car had been looked after really well, strange

Some of them pics are epic mate ! Really nice ly you got there ! Whats next then?
all depends on my job circumstances

got a few small little issues that need sorting/touching up as shes getting on a bit now love her lol

my mind changes daily, and the site is a massive influence but recaros are a must, along with a wheel refurb, and some maintenance to keep it running sweet,
-gearbox oil change,
-oil and filter change,
-front discs and pads to name a few

but id love some new coilovers, whitleline ARB, some spacers polybush the front and thats all i got for now ;)

im leaving the engine mods at the moment, as if i keep the car then ill get round to it, but either i want a change, or i need to do something massive with it all in good time, its not going far now :)

and cheers for the comments guys :)
couldn't agree more, massive turnaround and its been 'saved' lol back to how it should look

Focus RS + S3

one of the small little issues that needed sorting was the little spring that sits on the gearbox linkage, they are common to snap (borrowed Mcaffs pic lol)
but mine was missing so for the sake of £7 i got one ordered off wests renault, again top service, arrived this morning and plan to get it fitted when i can brave the cold, the gear changes dont feel any different without it, but obviously its there for something so its getting done :)

IMAG01362.jpg

img0739qc.jpg

After trying to order a rear LED number plate bulb late one night half asleep, i managed to order two led bulbs that were the wrong size, but found out they fit the glovebox and boot light, not as big of a fail :eek:
so fitted them for the sake of it, dont look too bad in the awful/messy pics
img0735u.jpg

yellow magic tree of course ;)
img0737uq.jpg

got there in the end :)
img0734ez.jpg

Focus RS + S3

well no updates on the 182, just a clean and some pics where i tried to get arty with the new turbine which randomly appeared in the area but failed.....

img0760se.jpg

img0772wt.jpg

so after a clean, headed off with some mates (Craig28's ST at the back)
img0773jv.jpg

img0774ln.jpg

img0776g.jpg

img0775f.jpg

img0777p.jpg

Then the BIG update as such, not for the 182 but in my clio ownership, I now have 2 (for my sins lol)

i landed a new job, which meant my commute had gone from 3 miles to and from work to around 70
so to save money on fuel and keep the miles and wear down on the 182 I bought a DCi Van, went to visit my girlfriends auntie and got talking and one thing led to another, "the guy up the road is selling a diesel clio, but i think its a van"

i wasnt bothered if it was a van or not as id always wanted a van, and sure enough it was a van, but i was shocked to find it was a dynamique van with the alloys, in platinum silver, fogs, electric windows, bigger spoiler, i was well impressed for a van

only main drawbacks were that being a commercial vehicle i dont get the £30 odd a year tax and it had lex-arse lights but the price i paid and it would be a cheap issue to sort i wasnt bothered,

few scrapes and little dinks but for a van on 103k it was in brilliant condition

how it looked when i got it home:
img0756os.jpg

img0755v.jpg

img0754mu.jpg

img0753x.jpg

and the best bit......
img0757ex.jpg

i drove it like this for a week or so, surprised how well it goes, more than enough power to commute :)
excellent on diesel, i can go to work and back without thinking of economy and just 'driving' for less than a tenner which isnt even 7 litres these days, i reckon if i drove it with economy in mind it would be even better.

the whole idea of the van was to save money, after i got the ideas out of my head of sport kit, and interior im just going to drive it and replace things when it breaks and have the 182 to show love to i guess

first little thing i did was the rear numberplate, instead of buying new ones (told you this was a budget bus) i got the sticker off with a blade and some t-cut, which came up great and looked nice and clean apart from the rusty screws, so when hoovering it out for the first time i found a £1 so went and bought some number plate screw caps,

spent £0 so far :)

next thing, those lights. a phonecall off craig28 when i was out one evening said there were a set of standard lights on ebay ending in 3minutes on £10+ £5 postage, so being a top guy he bid on them for me and won them for exactly that! Bargain!
img0766g.jpg

much better :) can also see the freshened up plate here :)
img0769lf.jpg

so thats £15 spent so far, but managed to sell my lexus style ones on eBay for £23 excluding postage so im £8 in pocket :)

with this money i spent it on a replacement clear side repeater as one is missing on the passenger side :(

another freebie to add was to get it smelling nice, and instead of a £1 magic tree, i found all my promotional stuff from FCS and clio sport Saturday to keep it smelling sweet lol
img0762gw.jpg

aslo came across these in my garage, my old flat wipers off the 182, why i kept them, who knows but they'll suit the van for a freebie lol
img0787jws.jpg

and by being a van, the boot trim was pretty badly scuffed and it brought the rest of the interior down as all the other plastics are in great condition
img0788ue.jpg

so in my attic left over from a 172 i was breaking was another trim :), with a few marks but nowhere as bad so a quick swap...
img0789f.jpg

much better :)

the van was also a sidelight and brakelight out, so again, instead of spending a couple of quid, i scoured the garage and found two working bulbs! penny pinching at its finest lol

and thats pretty much how it is at the moment, the 182 is parked up monday to thursday but i'll take it to work on a friday to spoil myself ;)

pics of them together seeing as i cleaned both interiors
img0786zg.jpg

img0784nr.jpg

img0785e.jpg

going to put the 182 in for an MOT this month, a month early so if it needs parts ive got time to source them so should have some more updates soon with that, and also with a new job i can afford some more goodies ;)

and the tidy up on the van will continue, little niggly bits here and there such as the headlights need correcting, but all in good time......

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

fair play!! nice little cars you got and good cheap mods for the van, seeing your 182 makes me want coiles (k tecs??)

Focus RS + S3

Yeah mate, ktecs for now, good for show, not amazing for go
now the 182 is my 2nd car ill probs upgrade the coilies in the future

LY Megane R26 230

Surely you'd have some nice leather seats for a more comfortable cummute in the van mate? ;)

Got a few bits left over from breaking one of my cups so if you need anything let me know

Focus RS + S3

Surely you'd have some nice leather seats for a more comfortable cummute in the van mate? ;)

Got a few bits left over from breaking one of my cups so if you need anything let me know
depends.... ;) lol im mad to put a sport kit on it but i want bits for the LY instead so that would be money better spent for now

Really nice LY mate and a good read
thanks mate, i chose my exhaust based on your pics lol

Minor Update

Finally got round to getting some side repeaters, (thanks to Pete.M for those) got one surplus to requirements now so if anyone after a spare and got it fitted before the Black Mountains meet on sunday, and thats the exterior tidy up mostly done for now apart from a few little bits and bobs
img0791p.jpg

shaaatiiiing!!!
img0792z.jpg

Focus RS + S3
Ahh thanks :)

Update for the van today,

I disliked how you sat on the seats as opposed to in them so its been a plan to change the seats if something pops up

And then wozza182 was trying to shift his cup interior so basically bit his arm off, top guy by the way!

Heres how they arrived back in wales

56981a28-fd30-4795.jpg

the standard seats
56981a28-fd9b-f8d7.jpg

The difference between the sizes of the bolsters

56981a28-fdde-ebb3.jpg

And job done :)
56981a28-fe0d-8c21.jpg

56981a28-fe37-23bd.jpg

They are a major difference over the originals
All i need now is to keep my eye out for some door cards

And since the 182 has been left out lately ive purchased some little goodies for it so some more updates soon :)

Focus RS + S3
Thanks mate, still loving them :)

A little pic of the van doing some moonlighting to being a commuter

56997889-2144-39d6.jpg

Then the yellow car has been feeling left out so a little purchase off fred@BTM

Quick phonecall dinner time in work thursday, and it was here friday
morning, top service
56997889-21e0-a5fb.jpg

so braved the welsh weather to get it fitted :)

56997889-2208-f86a.jpg

56997889-2233-1088.jpg

56997889-224f-9015.jpg

56997889-227a-934a.jpg

Looks the part, havent had chance to see what full difference its made yet but hopefully itll live up to the hype :)