ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How can I improve handling on my 172

Its a Mk1 & I have had it lowered 30mm on H&R springs (standard dampers) and have got 17s with 205/40 Toyo rubber on them. But I want better handling still!!

If I were to buy front and rear strut braces would this make a difference?

I have been considering Coilovers but this is an expensive job with the cheapest I have seen being £795 (+fitting)

If I were to buy Koni adjustable shocks for use with the H&R springs would this make a difference too?

cheers for any suggestions guys!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Change the tyres! Try 195/40R17. I have noticed a big difference over the Toyos (205/40R17). I now have Pirelli P-Zero Nero, they are smoother, quieter and there is hardly any noticeable difference the standards. And you dont lose as much acceleration. I thought the Toyos were supposed to be a good tyres too and I though they were until I tried these new one. Considering they are like rubber bands they are superb!!

You dont need to change anything. Get yourself on some tutored courses so you can exploit the cars potential. Though id start by taking putting it back to OE spec initiallly.

-Rob

Thats not meant to be a piss take btw! A lot of people seem to take it as a dig to their manhood whenever i recommend this but this is the most cost effective way of improving your cars performance! And if youre already a master of car control, i apologise.

-Rob

mk2 172

hehe, cos the guys spent all that money on bits and ur telling him best way to handle better is take it all off!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Think its down to that fact that Cord has spent quite a but of money on his car and youve just told him to take it all off as hes shafted his handling in not so many words ;)

lol sorry monday morning and all that.

Well anyway its true to a degree, ultimately in terms of grip and body control cord now has a better car, but in terms of enjoyment and a not so scarey limit OE spec is much better. Obviously it depends on what you consider as the priority which is a personal choice, in which case i should shutup.

-Rob

After Eddd took me around the ring in my own car, I realised that I dont drive the car to its full potential......my own skill being the limiting factor, not the car.

I have also realised that the standard setup is probably the best all round in terms of every factor that you might care to consider eg, economy, handling, comfort, performance, cost of ownership etc. etc. ....but I also think a bog standard 172 sounds and feels anodyne compared to my own HPed one.. IMHO.