ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do you tell if a cv joint/s has/have gone?

clio 1.4RT
hi

just wondering if anyone knows when a c.v joint has gone what does it sound like and also what are the sympoms?

i get a strange noise when cornering fairly sharply...i.e road junctions etc etc.

i dont think its the wheel bearings and i dont know how to test the c.v joint.

also on a 98 R reg 1.4rt clio can you just replace the joint or is it a full driuve shaft to cure it?...if it is the cv joint.

cheers

What's the noise like? Can you describe it? Could be anything really. Best way to see if a CV joint has gone is to stick your head under and have a look. It'll most likely be one of the clips at either end.

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
park in a open place turn your wheels full lock to one side slowly pull off and if your car sort of bounces/judders your CV joint has gone, as its ment to turn smoothly, try full lock both ways.

my passenger side one has gone when i full lock it right it sort of bounces and judders as it turns doesnt do it smoothly.

if it was a wheel bearing you would hear a loud vibration type of noise at around 30/40mph

RS CLIO 197
you can also get a loud clicking or knocking sound on full lock when setting off and this reduces as you take off the steering angle:D

Monaco Ph2 172
you can also get a loud clicking or knocking sound on full lock when setting off and this reduces as you take off the steering angle:D

Thanks for that post. :) Mine has been making that noise and was going to get it looked at soon. At least I can give the garage an idea of where to start.

clio 1.4RT
lol no that aint it. it only happends when turning tight ish corners...junctions etc etc. also doesnt happen when sat still and just turning the steering wheel, i have to be moving to hear it

clio 1.4RT
no car is bog standard.......

i seem to have narowed it down a bit more........ passenger wheel is where its coming from.
If i jack that side up and spin the wheel then it makes a squeeking/metal on metal sound. It didnt do this last time when i checked the bearings and still there isno movement in that whel bearing.....so im thinking its the c.v joint..... what else could i check in that area?

The obvious sign is grease splattered on the inside of the wheel. (The rear face, dont bother taking the tyre off ;) )

RS CLIO 197
i have also had a fiat punto do the clicking/creeking noise - i just packed the cv with new grease and all was well again :D

have you got someone to drive it at low speed with you stood along side it listening for the noise - say in a large carpark ;)

clio 1.4RT
yes but mine only made a sound upon turning sharp corners so i ruled out bearings as they were all smooth as they rotated. but it was the side ways movment and pressure on the side walls of the bearing that made the noise.

You only get grease everywhere when the boot has split or come off, the boot can be fine yet the joint inside is fubard. A noise when turning is most likely gonna be the joint, to test it you can get under the car and feel for play in the drivshaft, there shouldnt be much.

1.2 Mk2 Clio PH1
HI All,

I have a 1.2 Ph1 Clio which I think has a failed CV joint. It's started knocking loudly when accelerating away while on full lock.

I've read some other threads which suggest only to use Renault driveshaft replacements? Will a shaft from EuroCarParts not do?

Also how do I tell which side has failed? Are there any specific nuts which will need replacing also?

Thanks,
Rob