ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how fast does a cup go

Status
Not open for further replies.
  172 cup
hi have just purchased a 172 cup and after reading about how fast these go i was a little dissapointed in the excellaration . i have a 130tdi remapped to 175 with 285ibs of thrust. and it felt like the golf was as quick if not faster. yes the handling is on a another level compared to my standard mk4 golf . the cup has only done 48000 with fsh. is this about right or should it be better. what speed should it do in each gear . ....garry

Rusty Cup
has it been serviced recently? there could be many small factors that may lead to being slightly down on power. Ive never really felt my 182 has been slow but after changing spark plugs etc ive found it nippier also rstuner from www.fastchip.nl is an amazing piece of kit makes throttle responce much crisper.

53 clio 172
you wont notice much from these cars till about 3rd then u'll be suprised im how well they go! course ur golf would fel quicker its torquey as f**k! 2nd, 65?! 3rd 90? 4th 120? then 5th 140+? pretty sure its summat like that! i only drive it till green shift light comes on tho never take it past that! so i dunno really! around those speeds anyway!

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
Revs the t!ts off the cup mate. What you've got in the golf is a big dollop of torque, so as soon as that turbo kicks in you get a shove. The cup will rev round to 7k where the golf would be in pieces all over the road at that point.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Na cup ratios are different to others 2nd 55mph 3rd 85mph 4th 110mph iirc. 182 has longer ratios 3rd 90mph and 4th 120mph. You should see 145mph on a good run on the clock.

th_18092010027.gif

Dont count the gear change, i had to back off in 1st. Tyres were new and tracking was all over the place.
But 13.5 aint to bad.

MCS R56
LOL at "How fast does a Cup go"! And, 145...dream on!

Not sure how you answer the OP's question as I can't understand most of it.

Thread closure in T-minus...

Astra SRI/ Hornet
LOL at "How fast does a Cup go"! And, 145...dream on!

Not sure how you answer the OP's question as I can't understand most of it.

Thread closure in T-minus...

Sorry you even driven a Clio sport? You clearly don't have a clue what your talking about and as I've owned a 172cup and 182 I'd be inclined to know. You ever even taken a car to it's top speed hot shot?

BMW M5 & E36
Depends on the Clio, but out the box a 172/182 will NOT do a GENUINE 145mph GPS. Maybe on the speedo, but that doesnt count.

Mine would though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had 138GPS confirmed on the M54, I mean a airstrip. Really don't see it doing another 7mph.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Read what I said. I did put it in plain English. ON THE CLOCK. Any1 who's done it will know. The change up light comes on at 140mph. And the Clio rs has a proven 139mph top speed, tested by probably every motoring magazine out there including evo.

Seen a GPS verified 141mph on the autobahn (yes, the actual autobahn) in my old 182Cup.

My guess is that you need to thrash your Clio properly. I was actually saying to someone the other day that I'd forgotten what it's like to have to stay between 5-7k rpm all the time to make progress. I only used two gears for 99% of Rockingham. 5th was used for about 300 yards. Torque FTW!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'd imagine that the OP's car is perfect, just won't feel like much of an upgrade coming from a train of a diesel like that.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Like I said people who have done it know the truth. Why do these jokers comment on things they know nothing about. Seriously why? I have vids of my old cup doing it which I won't be posting. Lol

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
TBH the top speed of any car is irrelevant anyway, the CS was built for anything but outright speed.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Yeah it ain't the best at those speeds. Gets twitchy and the steering goes uber sensitive. Still ya gotta test ya cars top speed. Lol

172 cup
want to bet?

I've hit 145 gps via snooper granted it isnt standard engine wise but not far off. private driveway of course

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Top Speed bragging is for 17 year old Traffic Light Grand Prix Idiots and Supercar owners. Buy a Clio for its chuckability and bang per buck. Nothing more.

MCS R56
Sorry you even driven a Clio sport? You clearly don't have a clue what your talking about and as I've owned a 172cup and 182 I'd be inclined to know. You ever even taken a car to it's top speed hot shot?

No need to apologise. As mentioned, saying it will do 145 on the speedo means sod all.

And yes, I have driven a Clio but since you have owned two, you must know better. LOL..."hot shot". You been watching Top Gun or something equally gay?!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
172 Cup. 143 on the gps slipstreaming a 911 on the way back from the 'ring (autobahn).

Promptly got overtaken by my friends Z3M on its way to 178.

Clio = not about straight line speed.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
hi have just purchased a 172 cup and after reading about how fast these go i was a little dissapointed in the excellaration . i have a 130tdi remapped to 175 with 285ibs of thrust. and it felt like the golf was as quick if not faster. yes the handling is on a another level compared to my standard mk4 golf . the cup has only done 48000 with fsh. is this about right or should it be better. what speed should it do in each gear . ....garry

285lb's of thrust? PMSL.

Golfstream IV?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I get the distinct impression that this thread is to wind people up. And argue about top speed. Its like a plant the seed and watch it grow type of thread. Dont feed the troll

Dan

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Lies. You are the joker.

Lies? Even with plenty of people who have actually done it in this thread. Aww did your mate give you a little go in the industrial estate once now your an expert. And yeah since I've owned 2 over 3 years it is blatantly obvious I know alot more than you. Every 2 litre car I've had has been over 140mph even a 106 can get high 130's. Keep talking and pretending to know what your taking about you joker.

Westy. MX5

I had a Golf4 TDI mapped and now a Fabia VRS mapped, At Santa Pod the The Cup was 0.6 quicker on the 1/4mile than the VRS but terminal speed was 10mph faster in the VRS.
TDI's do feel quicker when they are on boost but it is short lived. The Cup is definitely a quicker all round car, the more you drive it the more you learn how to drive it properly. The only time a TDI will be faster is at high speed, say 80mph+ Torque and the turbo do give it some oomph!

MCS R56
Lies? Even with plenty of people who have actually done it in this thread. Aww did your mate give you a little go in the industrial estate once now your an expert. And yeah since I've owned 2 over 3 years it is blatantly obvious I know alot more than you. Every 2 litre car I've had has been over 140mph even a 106 can get high 130's. Keep talking and pretending to know what your taking about you joker.

I owned a Cup for 5 years you t**t. So by your rules, I know more than you. And not one person has said they managed 145.

Keep talking s**t.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
The clio is brisk in my opinion rather than being hold on to your seat fast, but as standard the engine has a smooth power delivery throughout the rev range which dulls the urgency despite the high speed you find yourself at. Certainly it does not come on cam quite like my 205 mi16.
So it loses a little thrill on acceleration, but its not really designed for that - having usable power when you are negotiating bends at a rapid pace making it a fast and capable all rounder.

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.