ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many 172/182 owners engine mounts are banging?

172 ff silver
Just to note that

If you loosed the 4 16mm bolts on the left hand top mount, put a large bar behind the mount and pull the whole mount and engine forward as far as you can get it (engine is pulled towards the front bumper)

then whilst holding it forward tighten the 4 16mm bolts back up nice and tight,

try this as it will only take 2 mins and could solve half the problems for you guys :)

you my freind are a fcukin legend :D:D:D:D

do this now people it sorted my banging and it only moved 10mm

just been out going nuts in the sheen from the early night frost and didnt bang once

someone buy this man a beer :cheers:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Just to note that

If you loosed the 4 16mm bolts on the left hand top mount, put a large bar behind the mount and pull the whole mount and engine forward as far as you can get it (engine is pulled towards the front bumper)

try this as it will only take 2 mins and could solve half the problems for you guys :)

you my freind are a fcukin legend :D:D:D:D

do this now people it sorted my banging and it only moved 10mm

just been out going nuts in the sheen from the early night frost and didnt bang once

someone buy this man a beer :cheers:

glad its sorted for you :)

people never do it as they dont belive me that it will 80% of the time fix the problem.

and it only takes 20 seconds

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
also if that doesnt work then you can also fit the washers that sit under the bolts under the mount, then pull it forward.. tighten the bolts.. if it works then make sure you buy washers where the originals were too!

RS RIP
problem with fitting solid mounts is that the vibration would be completely unbearable. i had GrpN mounts in a 205 too and reckon they were one of the most effective fast road/track mods i made - much sweeter gearshift and it was keener on turn in too. downside was the vibration but it's posible to get used to it.

wasn't someone on here looking into coming up with a set for the Clio a little while ago? they were expensive as i recall

i checked out a German site that sells the Group N stuff for rallye ; the enginemounts all round would have come to 1200euro or i believe sometthing like 750 pounds

these will make your car a terrible daytoday drive though... vibrations will make you go mad. Will be a lot of fun driving though ; so quick on throttlereply/gearchange/cornering

clio 182 cup
hi there im a new member del76.this is the reason i joined the club i bought my clio 182 new 05 plate after 2 months i had this problem took it back to renault and they laughed at me and said i was to hard on the car now almost 3 yrs later the car pulls all over the road and carry spare exhaust clamps and same story for the brakes does it sound familiar.its a shame cos i thought it was a great wee car

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Just to note that

dude try my guide

RS RIP
did a search and dug up this old thread;

anybody got the full list (4) ofthe mount-partnumbers please !?

Got the dogbone already, also just read that the one under the battery is 820089697

So there's two left,
-top left (near cambelt) ?
-bottom mount (i believe between subframe and gearbox ??) ?

thank you !

R35 GTR
Just to note that

dude try my guide

Ben if you see this, thankyou!

I have now fixed my thrid rattle, well 80% fixed it, I am still getting a small amount of vibration on right hand bends, but I think it's because I only pulled the engine forward by hand.

I can't find a leverage point behind the mount, any ideas? I might try the washer idea tomorrow as well.

R35 GTR
  R35 GTR
mine still knocking under very hard lauching? done evrything possible but still doin it
try the top one again. I tried it before but didnt make any difference. Just went out this evening and tried again and managed to move the mount about 5mm i think and the improvement is huge.

Although mine was really bad and knocking on idle.

53 Clio's & counting
thanks for the advise bud but it wont come any more forward, you know to two little tabs that keeps the mount in place? mines pulled so forward the tab stops it from coming any more forward

R35 GTR
also if that doesnt work then you can also fit the washers that sit under the bolts under the mount, then pull it forward.. tighten the bolts.. if it works then make sure you buy washers where the originals were too!
I think this might help with that.

thanks for the advise bud but it wont come any more forward, you know to two little tabs that keeps the mount in place? mines pulled so forward the tab stops it from coming any more forward

Also if there is a gap between the rubber and the metal try getting a g clamp on it and clamp it up to close the metal bits together and eliminate the gap, just an idea, not tried it yet..

clio sport cup 172
done the dogbone, and the upper gearbox, lower gearbox next, still knocking under hard acceleration though

53 Clio's & counting
I think this might help with that.

iv put washers under the box mount,not under the top engine mount,il try that

Also if there is a gap between the rubber and the metal try getting a g clamp on it and clamp it up to close the metal bits together and eliminate the gap, just an idea, not tried it yet..

yup iv already closed the top mount up lol

cliosport 172 cup 2002
Hi guys, I had some various versions of this knocking and solved them like this..!

knocking when maneouvering or going over bumps: manifold, pull engine forward (described above) or adjust exhaust shielding under car and into engine bay.

Knocking when acceleerating hard or eventually, almost all accelerations: mount under battery, but not the top bit, this is a two part mount with two nuts. The lower nut is a bugger to get too, and on mine was alost completely undone. It caused my mount to end up like one pictured earlier in this thread. The top nut(directly under battery) was tight and the moount was centered, so I thought it was ok, so wrong! To find the lower nut, put you hand on the gearbox part of the mount and move up towards the mount, when you get to the interface between gearbox and mount, start feeling around for the nut (you can't see it from and angle but below, and the gearbox is in the way!) It is possible to get a spanner onto it, but you can only get about a 1/5th turn before having to reposition, you can't get a ratchet onto it! It's a pain in the ar*e, but it solved alot of frustration!

Hope this helps someone!

Joe

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Hello, with ref to pulling the engine forward mines pulled forward to the tabs but what effect does loosening the centre bolt in mount and moving engine have.

RS RIP
forget all about it.... i've changed mounts all round and it's still knocking. Design fault i'm thinking; no space for enginemovement

** going to try something different now; the two top mounts. I'm going to put some washers under the top nuts, this will able me to tighten them up some more without twisting the s**t rubbers. Nice that my batter is in the boot so easy access to right mount !

Monaco 172
also how far forward can you pull the gearbox end of it? that will sort my decat vibrating off the main beam if it can be?

cheers

A Flamin' Red one
Where do I need to be looking for these mounts as mine is knocking under hard acceleration. I'm a bit of a mechanics noob but I'm learning...

Octavia vRS tfsi
Just to note that

I tried this today, full of skepticism ... but it worked. Fantastic, top bit of advice! :)