ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much is your excess?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
What are people's excesses on their insurance policies?

I've always tried to have a reasonable amount, around £400 normally because of younger driver compulsory.

This year my two best quotes differ by £40, but the slightly more expensive one has £150 lower excess which makes it a winner for me personally.

Do you prefer a higher or lower excess?

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
Mine is £150, got stung by a £500 excess (£250 comp £250 vol) so learnt from that mistake.Also (for example) £100 less excess does not equal £100 cheaper insurance premium so lower excess is always a winner for me.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
£150 for me. I imagine there must be some stupidly high ones with the prices some of these young ones are prepared to pay to drive 1*2's.

As above lol. £1100, f**k that....

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
£250 voluntary and Admiral also add an unoptional £50 to that for some reason, my age I think, so £300.

Ph 1 172
My old one had voluntary at £1500 and also young/Inexperienced driver of £400 made me laugh but only way to get insurance low as I had only been driving a year and went from 1.2 8v Clio to 172! Thankfully now it's only 0 voluntary and couple hundred compulsary which is so much better

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Some high ones in here, don't think I could live with it personally.

Am I right in thinking, excess is only payable if you claim and not payable if just a third party claims? Because I don't remember ever paying exess on my first accident as I didn't claim and there seems to be no excess choices if you do a third party quote, just a standard fire/theft excess.

mine is£850 :eek: which annoys me as I am 26! Basically direct line hate modifications..

Is that compulsory because of your mods?!

You need to find another company!

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
mine is £850 :eek: which annoys me as I am 26! Basically direct line hate modifications..

WOW! Mine is £150 and premium is £662 and i've just gone 27. 2 years no claims and the car is standard, definately sounds like you need a new insurance company.

Mondeo TDCi
WOW! Mine is £150 and premium is £662 and i've just gone 27. 2 years no claims and the car is standard, definately sounds like you need a new insurance company.

tell me about it, mine is about 350 a year i think. full ncb as well. So far it has only been lowered on springs but the soon to be fitted exhaust i am sure will up it even more :(

182 Full of Fat
£250 voluntary excess, but there is a £500 compulsory excess due to my age. Hopefully I won't be needing to claim anytime soon lol

182 & Porsche 986
Mine was £350 which i thought was ok, then when i crashed i got stung with an extra for been under 25 :(!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Mine was £350 which i thought was ok, then when i crashed i got stung with an extra for been under 25 :(!

Heard this happen to some before. I asked the guy on the phone 3 times to be sure if that was the total excess and no compulsory. Companies kind of make you find out yourself online and its normally the last thing you hear on the phone.

It was through my broker A-Plan Insurance http://www.aplan.co.uk/ call 01635 874646 and ask for Chris Chalk as he sorted my policy. They also cover decats which was a bonus :)

I was on the phone to them earlier and got the dial tone midway. Couldn't be bothered to ring back today. Will call them tomorrow. You been happy with them?

A few companies are ok with decats it seems, a couple said its my issue if the police say anything, car is still insured.

182 & Porsche 986
Heard this happen to some before. I asked the guy on the phone 3 times to be sure if that was the total excess and no compulsory. Companies kind of make you find out yourself online and its normally the last thing you hear on the phone.
Yeh i was pretty shocked too, but it was my own fault for not reading my documents properly.:(

£500 atm...

As of friday when my new policy kicks in:
£300 compulsary (due to being under 21)
£1000 voluntary
£50 (due to the rating of the car, or summat like that)
Total = £1350

Only put it that high this year as it made the policy price drop £400.

I think my excess is about £250.

Best advice I saw was on Martin Lewis' site. Look at it like this - say your car is damaged and it wasn't your fault. It's going to cost £150 to sort. Are you going to claim off your insurance, even if your excess is zero? I wouldn't be happy, but I'd just pay out of my own pocket. For what it could do to future premiums it probably wouldn't be worth claiming.

So what if it was £200, or £250.

For those of us lucky enough to have built up lots of no-claims and not be forced to have a high excess, that's the best way to figure out what your excess should be. I think it's reckoned that £250 to £350 is about right for most people.

Insurance companies can make a big deal of telling you that your excess has dropped, as if it's something that you should automatically be chuffed about (ok so for some of you it would be a good thing.) What they're actually doing is sneakily keeping your premium high. I wasted money year in year out on that before I figured it out. I think my excess on my last car was down to about £100, or even less.

I've also got protected no-claims but still can't figure out if that's worth it or not.

182 & Porsche 986
£500 atm...

As of friday when my new policy kicks in:
£300 compulsary (due to being under 21)
£1000 voluntary
£50 (due to the rating of the car, or summat like that)
Total = £1350

Only put it that high this year as it made the policy price drop £400.

ouch

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You're right Neat, set the excess to a figure you wouldn't really want to pay anymore than. The excess of the policy I want to take out is £350, I'd probably pay up to £500 to not have a claim on my policy and fix it myself if the worst happens, but I wouldn't want a £500 excess because if the car was £500+ to fix or a write off, I wouldn't want to be paying that much towards it.

You need to weigh up the price difference vs excess. I was looking at how excesses affect premiums the other day for a job app and for an a driver with 5yrs NCB, for an £860 premium every £50 increase in voluntary excess (up to £150) lowered the premium by about £30 on elephant.co.uk. But a voluntary excess from £150 to £250 only lowered the quote by £12. And £250 to £350 lowered it by £5. The differences were a bit bigger for v.excess of £500, £750 and £1000 but IMO I'd rather pay the extra £105 on the premiums and have an £850 lower v.excess! That’s all the difference was between an v.excess of £150 and £1000!

But on higher premiums the excesses can make a difference. By increasing the voluntary excess each time by £50 on a £2300 policy, the premium was decreasing by more than £50 up to a v.excess of £500, so even if you claim once that year, you’d have saved a little bit over having a lower excess and paying the extra premium. Obviously claim more than once and you’re going to be heavily out of pocket but don’t claim at all and it’ll work out for you. For a £1000 v.excess, the premium was £750 lower which might be useful for those short on cash at the time, but will need a lot saved aside in the event of a claim.

Sad I know to work this out lol but was part of my research. Didn't understand how people could have such high excesses before but suppose it makes a bit of sense, rather drive a 1.4 until premiums come down though.

On the protected NCB side, I checked to see if it was worth me going for it this year and this is how the quotes differ for next year:

5NCB, 0 claims - £798
5NCB, 1 claim - £1016
0NCB, 1 claim - £1307

So in the unfortunate event I have to claim *touch wood*, if I don’t protect my NCB, it’d be an extra £300 roughly next year, which is more than the cost of protecting NCB. And further additional costs for the next few years until back to 5NCB.

It's great that you have researched it Vish. Got me thinking. I think I get the gist of what you're saying.

When I renewed last year I tried getting my excess up to around £350 (total) to try and bring my premium down. I seem to remember companies either weren't interested in doing it, or it made little difference to the premium.

I've had a look at my policy and it's as follows -
£542 premium (inc. - in my early thirties, 11yrs nc discount, no convictions, £25 motoring legal prot. and protected nc.) and £300 excess which consists of £200 compulsory (for damage anyway, less I think for fire or theft) and £100 vol. (The cost of my Sainsburys premium seems quite steep compared to others', although maybe living close to a big city doesn't help :S)

But like you say I'd probably still pay out more than my excess rather than claim if a third party wasn't covering it. So I may see this year if I can reduce my excess whilst not increasing my premium too much - so, as said, I wouldn't need to pay out too much in the event of a big claim.

It doesn't seem like people in my position get a great deal tbh. The insurance companies don't look that far back - although I guess I'll be glad of that if things ever do go pear-shaped. A chance to get a clean sheet in just a few years.

I agree, I think it's best to start motoring life with a car that's reasonable to insure - build up your no claims. I'd have loved to have a car like my 182 when I was younger - but for financial, and not-killing-myself-or-others reasons, it's probably good that I couldn't afford the equivalent of the time. Mind you a sky-high excess probably focuses the mind!

From what I can work out protected no claims is worth it if -
a) you've got enough that's worth protecting, and
b) you're taking out a policy with a new company, or you've been with them for less than 4/5 years.

Once you've been with the same company for a while (and already have lots of nc built up), making one or even two caims in a year isn't necessarily going to dent your no claims discount by enough for the cost of protecting it to be worthwhile (with respect to the following years premium.)

Few more questions -

If you've got protected no claims, what difference does it make to your following years' premium. For example I'd have thought the insurance companies would have been hit hard with the exceptionally bad winter we had (must have been more accidents than normal), so they'll probably increase premiums this year to cover it. Protected no claims would make no difference to that. But what if you make a claim whilst having protected no claims - the following year they can ask for whatever premium they like. They may tell you that you're no claims was held at the same level but still ask for a higher premium. Although I guess they wouldn't want to scare you off to another company as they'd lose their chance to get some money back from you.

And what about changing insurance comapany under such circumstances - you'd obviously have to tell any prospective new insurer about your claim, they wouldn't care that you had your nc protected with your previous insurer.

Is motoring legal protection worthwhile?

Anybody come across any decent 'insurance company review' type sites? People often get really hung up on the numbers when it comes to insurance (which is obviously important.) But you only find out what companies are really like if you need to make a claim - and then people are left wondering if they really should have gone for the cheapest deal. I'm guilty of not researching this myself, although if I knew a company had a bad reputation for its customer service I'd steer clear of them - irrespective of the deals they could offer. If you try googling criticisms of any company or industry you'll always find them - so it's difficult to form valid opinions.

I really hope someone can be bothered to respond to this. I seem good at killing off threads. Maybe it's because I'm new, or maybe it's because people figure life's too short to read my ridiculously long posts :D

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Few more questions -

If you've got protected no claims, what difference does it make to your following years' premium. For example I'd have thought the insurance companies would have been hit hard with the exceptionally bad winter we had (must have been more accidents than normal), so they'll probably increase premiums this year to cover it. Protected no claims would make no difference to that. But what if you make a claim whilst having protected no claims - the following year they can ask for whatever premium they like. They may tell you that you're no claims was held at the same level but still ask for a higher premium. Although I guess they wouldn't want to scare you off to another company as they'd lose their chance to get some money back from you.

And what about changing insurance comapany under such circumstances - you'd obviously have to tell any prospective new insurer about your claim, they wouldn't care that you had your nc protected with your previous insurer.

The way I see it is with protected NCB, if you have a claim, you'll still maintain the number of NCB you started the policy with and this should be transferable to another company.

A few people have been saying insurance prices have gone up. They do go up a bit every year I think, and yes because of the bad winter, I'd imagine a lot of people claimed and so the increase in prices is more than normal.

I think my previous post showed protected no claims can be worth it. Here are potential prices for a year:

A) 5NCB, 0 claims - £798
B) 5NCB, 1 claim - £1016
C) 0NCB, 1 claim - £1307

This assumes someone starts year one with 5NCB. Assume the prices are for year 2 and as some companies only allow, 5NCB is the max you can hold. So in year two, if there are no claims in year one (A), NCB remains at 5 and the premium is £798. If a claim is made in year one and the NCB not protected (C), then the insurance would be over £500 more. However if a claim was made in year one and NCB protected (B), yes insurance would go up (you'd expect this if a claim is made) but there is still a reasonable discount for the 5NCB. So by protecting your NCB, you'd save almost £300 in year two if you had made a claim in year one.

So as long as the cost of protecting your NCB was less than £300, it's worth protecting them. As a rough guide, some companies wanted about £100 to protect NCB whereas Elephant only wanted an extra £20 or so on the sort of prices quoted above, which IMO makes it a no brainer. Also factor in, in year 3 in scenario C, you'd only have 1NCB, in year 4 -2NCB, year 5 - 3 NCB, etc. Which would obviously not give a big a discount of 5NCB, so you'd also have to consider the additional costs until 5NCB is achieved again.

Obviously all prices above based on one person, on a particular car, with one company so can't be taken to be exact for all cases but just shows a rough example of price differences.

Is motoring legal protection worthwhile?

IMO yes. I've used them for a non-fault claim and they were excellent. I don't know how different it is from how the insurance company would deal with it without legal but I always opt for them. Also most are free.

Don't know about any insurance review sites. With any company, you'll get bad reviews, normally you have to work out if the reviewer is an idiot or not and if infact the company did anything wrong.

Cheers for the detailed response. Reckon I've got my head round it. I'm not usually too bad at looking for good deals on things, but working out what the best deal actually is, isn't necessarily that straight forward for car insurance. Think my approach to it just needed 'fine tuning'.