ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

Engles Mummy
It’s been raining today so I have had to take it easy, I didn't mind because I am still in the ‘can’t believe it’s my car’ faze.

All my money & savings has gone in to this car, I have a lot of respect for what he can do in the dry and even more respect to what he can not do in the wet. I value the car to much to go make a careless mistake and end up crashing it!

I love my car, I wouldn't even think about going fast in the wet or even in town, I enjoy the car even if I am only going slow and I enjoy it even more when I put my foot down.

I know that if I crash it or damage it slightly that could just well be the end of me owning a cup. The insurance is already high enough...as some of you have already said.

Like I said before; I know I got a powerful car and I don't need to show it off to everyone. The power is there when I need it.

Once again, thanks for all your replies with care and helpful advice.

Adam

172 cup
I bought my cup in February this year, and it was snowing the day i picked it up, and then the next day as well, so i had to learn to drive my car in the snow and ice straight away which was bloody scary. I was actually so scared of skidding on snow/ice and crashing it within the first few days that i drove my 306 Xsi (which i hadnt yet sold) to work for the first couple of days.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Subway said:
It’s been raining today so I have had to take it easy, I didn't mind because I am still in the ‘can’t believe it’s my car’ faze....

...Once again, thanks for all your replies with care and helpful advice.

Adam

Excellent reply mate, a LOT of members on here would get pretty assy with everyone telling them that they'd crash it or were crazy for paying a lot on insurance.

18 years old, with a Cup, however, means you are a b*****d! :D

clio 1.2 16v,??
3k ins hehe, well 250 a month + the amount you pay in petrol a month say 150 quid, i am paying my mortgage off :p

whatever floats your boat tho, good luck

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ good point. it's jealousy mate...I'm only jus 20...but i've driven ferrari's, porsche's and radicals so i win! LOL

clio 1.2 16v,??
i own a r34 gt-r dont think its jealousy from me, good car though they are. just 3k ins is steep, my opinion.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
yuhuang said:
i own a r34 gt-r dont think its jealousy from me, good car though they are. just 3k ins is steep, my opinion.

OOps, that was meant to be a reply to post on the previous page..

Engles Mummy
lol, well if it puts a huge smile on my face every day...then i don't mind paying 3k! Think of it as - A very expensive girlfriend, who doesn't talk back.

MKIII 138
last year when i owned my 172MKII i slid on some ice and i remember to brakes drilling away but it didnt stop me or slow me down, surley the message should be take care in wet or icey condtions.

who drives 1020kg 172 supermini with a light backend and a 2.0ltr in the front fast on shitty roads ? sounds crazy to me.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
meggerman said:
last year when i owned my 172MKII i slid on some ice and i remember to brakes drilling away but it didnt stop me or slow me down, surley the message should be take care in wet or icey condtions.

who drives 1020kg 172 supermini with a light backend and a 2.0ltr in the front fast on sh*tty roads ? sounds crazy to me.

thats the trouble your average 18yr old put in the seat of a fast car wouldnt know how to react quickly enough, know what to do in an emergency, couldnt control all that power under their right foot...............

but this one does he took me out in it today and thought, ok here we go he's gonna rag it, nope drove calmy smoothly and only let it rip where it was safe to do so

Congrats on owning your dream car, I bet you cant stop grinning! :)

But u mentioned about the shaking the car makes around 80mph, I had the same thing happen when I bought a 172 and didnt notice it till after I had bought the car and tested it above 60mph.. I soon found out it had 2 buckled front wheels!?! It only had 8k miles on the clock when I bought it, so wasnt expecting to have to buy new wheels! But it cured the problem, and drove perfectly afterwards! Yours may only be out of balance, but thought I'd share this with u incase u are stuck for ideas what it may be...if its not the basics they need correcting.

Good choice of car BTW.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
^ good point. it's jealousy mate...I'm only jus 20...but i've driven ferrari's, porsche's and radicals so i win! LOL

Blue peter badge is in the post

MKIII 138
Liquidcool said:
Congrats on owning your dream car, I bet you cant stop grinning! :)

But u mentioned about the shaking the car makes around 80mph, I had the same thing happen when I bought a 172 and didnt notice it till after I had bought the car and tested it above 60mph.. I soon found out it had 2 buckled front wheels!?! It only had 8k miles on the clock when I bought it, so wasnt expecting to have to buy new wheels! But it cured the problem, and drove perfectly afterwards! Yours may only be out of balance, but thought I'd share this with u incase u are stuck for ideas what it may be...if its not the basics they need correcting.

Good choice of car BTW.

careful not to blame buckled wheels or largerlout will say you talk b****cks lol

Engles Mummy
lol

Car has gone to the garage today to try sort out the wobbling. I have had the wheels checked and they are fine, now just got to wait and see what the actually problem is!

I will keep you updated on that.

I hope to see most of you this sunday at southmimms, i will be the one with big crazy hair doing gay poses over the bonnet of my car.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
matty w said:
Blue peter badge is in the post

Aww, quality! cheers ;)

Accidents happen to the best of us, I've written off 1 road car- wasn't my fault and i've parked numerous race cars in the wall (Some my fault) lol. Regardless of ur age and experience, somethings it's totally unpredicable.

RenaultSport said:
No it doesn't. It only stops the wheels from locking and also allows you to steer around things whilst braking.

According to this info... abs may well be safer and will allow you to take control of the steering with abs to steer around an obsticle whilst under heavy braking, but its not always a shorter stopping distance, but a much safer option in poor conditions.....

Do cars with ABS stop more quickly than cars without it?[font=Arial,Helvetica] [/font]Not always. Although the stopping distance with ABS is shorter under most road conditions

In what circumstances might conventional brakes have an advantage over ABS?[font=Arial,Helvetica] [/font]There are some conditions where stopping distance may be shorter without ABS. For example, in cases where the road is covered with loose gravel or freshly fallen snow, the locked wheels of a non-ABS car build up a wedge of gravel or snow, which can contribute to a shortening of the braking distance.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Re: I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

^^ LOL..

TBH.. Couldn't be bothered..

Why should i waste my time picking people up on their spelling mistakes..? where as everyone has typing errors.. me included..;)

Last edited:
Subway said:
After a year of searching & waiting for the right cup to buy, finally the right one came around. Picked her up this morning, I absolutely love it!

It's an 04 Jan, 53 reg, 8k miles, perfect condition, nothing wrong with it. It drives superbly and handles brilliantly.

The car i had before was a 1.2 16v, so it's a huge leap up in driving performance. I have found the car very easy to drive, fast & slow. Obviously haven't got use to it yet so will be taking it easy round the corners.

If anyone who is 18 and wants one, go to bell insurance, very cheap and they don't laugh down the phone; when you tell them your age!

two miner problems -

1. Over 85mph (on private road) car starts to shake pretty bad, you can really feel it in the steering wheel, going to get that checked out this week.

2. Anyone know the CD player code lol? New battery has been put in and reset a few things.

But apart from that, car is fan-f*cking-tastic! I love every part of it, sound, looks, handling and of course the performance!

Anyone who is looking to get one, don't hesitate to buy it...its sooo worth it!

Thanks all, Adam

(pictures i will put up tomorrow, but i am sure you all got an idea of what it looks like lol)

funny that! Im 17 with a 172 and im with bell aswell LOL

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
no way would i pay that on insurance...i pay £100 a month at the moment and thats enough. 1st year of my insurance and the cheapest insurance i found was from elephant and im 19!
I do know what you mean about it being worth it though as i went from a 1.9 diesel clio in my dads insurance to a 1.8 16V petrol clio in my own name, every1 though i was mad but i LOVE my car despite her problems!!

Engles Mummy
It's not about the money, it's about the enjoyment. I rather go spend my money on something which lasts, rather then pissing all up a wall after a heavy night. Which most of my simplistic friends do!

was black/gold ff 182
cant agree with you more subway i am paying just over 2k and i am 19 with a mk 172 , at the end of the day i have saved hard and work hard to earn money so why not pay that out on insurence if it is something you want , i would rather go out a couple of times a month less and be driving around in a half descent car .

vee 6
I paid 3k to insure a 172 cup at 19 , had a 10k claim at 17 so they hit me hard ! went down to £1200 the following year , worth every penny , imo the cup comes to live in the wet ! smooth is the key and no stamping on the brakes ! dont even bother trying to drive in the snow cups are a nitemare

Liquid yellow R26 F1
^^ LOL agreed.. trying to drive to the station last February on litterally sheet ice (frozen snow/sluch, etc..) at 6.30am was an interesting experience..

Subway.. i agree with you.. i was the same at your age.. i had (1991/Pre Cat)205 1.9 GTI.. and was paying big insurance.. but was worth every penny imo..:)

182, GTR, C63
Dont go racing! Been there done that had the 15000 insurance claim. I wrote a cup off at 18 and was probably the best lesson ive ever learnt but also a costly one that could have been avoided, drife safely and enjoy it.

I only had mine 6 months tops. Remeber no racing or you'll end up driving a ibiza fr tdi and paying through the nose to insure it as i do.

Clio Cup - Yamaha R6
Im actually thinking of getting some winter tyres for my Yam R6 this winter because the cup was so bad in the snow last year.
I didnt even manage to get home on xmas day it was that bad.
Every other car on the road could cruise up this hill and i couldnt even get up the start of it. Thats with goodyear eagles on and no its not my driving because I went home and dug out my 205 mi16 and went for a play.
If it snows leave the cup at home.

ATS

_ATS_ said:
Im actually thinking of getting some winter tyres for my Yam R6 this winter because the cup was so bad in the snow last year.
I didnt even manage to get home on xmas day it was that bad.
Every other car on the road could cruise up this hill and i couldnt even get up the start of it. Thats with goodyear eagles on and no its not my driving because I went home and dug out my 205 mi16 and went for a play.
If it snows leave the cup at home.

ATS

I had the same in my 182Cup, and that has TC!

Didnt matter what gear I used, how light a used the throttle, and with TC switched on or off, the car would NOT get up the hill. The front tyres were just slipping on compacted snow and wouldnt bite at all. Eventually the car was slipping on the camber and falling into the kerb. I know how to get traction in the snow, but not in the 182 uphill with no momnetum.

Karlos69 said:
Are the Michelins any better in the snow?

Not in my case, no. Fine rolling along, but uphill on compacted, the tyres are just too wide for the weight pinning them down.

Clio Cup - Yamaha R6
dunno ive never tired mitchelins but this year il be trying out yok a539s in the cup in the snow.
They always work wonders when they were on my other cars.

ATS

I have a 2.0 rwd kitcar at 17 so I win, naaa na na naaa na

lol anyway, just be careful and you'll be fine, don't be tempted to just race everyone who tries it on, it's a good sense os satisfaction to think "I could have wasted you if i wanted" and it feels even better when they know it too :D

PS. on the lightweight rwd car in wet idea, i struggle to keep up with normal traffic! esp on roundabouts.... lol but in snow it just doesn't go in a straight line :D

jaf78 said:
At the end of the day age doesnt always make a difference. Granted you dont have as much experience, but you get a lot of 25+ drivers who drive like idiots.

your right, im 26 and im paying 1600 a year for the trophy but then i been a very very naughty boy recently ;)