ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance thread for young 1*2 owners

320d
Re: Insurance. Fookers!

It is expensive to get insured on the RS Clio's. I'm going down the Ph1 route personally hoping to get insured for around £1600 tpft. It is a lot but i'm used to it, I pay £1400 on the 1.2 so balls to it.

I'm just realy hoping that the indacative quotes i'm getting atm stay around the same because if they do i'm all set for the upgrade in less than 5 months :D

Hope your search goes well mate. A tip is to add your mum and nan, it brought my quotes down by 1K.

Also with bell if you put 1K excess it brings the quote down by £500 more than if you choose £500 excess therefore if you crash you pay the same but if you don't then you've saved £500.

I think a more fair way of setting insurance prices would be everybody pays the same price regardless of risk i.e. £400 but then the excess is varible i.e. if your 19 with 2ncb your excess is 1600 but if your 30 with 13ncb its 0 etc... Surely that is a fair way to price something that is legally necessary. If a company started doing it they would get massive buisness with no more risk than charging full price for the policies.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

good idea that brett!

You will have no probs getting insured for 1600 tpft. i was getting those quotes for my 04 plate 182 tptf so should be a piece of piss!

meh its worth it lol

And thanks for the one of very little positive responses saying go for it :eek:

2001 172

[/quote]I think a more fair way of setting insurance prices would be everybody pays the same price regardless of risk i.e. £400 but then the excess is varible i.e. if your 19 with 2ncb your excess is 1600 but if your 30 with 13ncb its 0 etc... Surely that is a fair way to price something that is legally necessary. If a company started doing it they would get massive buisness with no more risk than charging full price for the policies.[/quote]

how about the fact that someone of a younger age in their 1.2 16v is far more likely to plough into a porsche showroom and damage thousands and thousands and thousands in damage. The idea of insurance to to move the risk to someone else who can afford to indemnify any non-fault 3rd party where you cannot. An older more experienced driver is less likely to do this, hence their premium and XS is lower

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Sorry shaun and dont take this the wrong way but;

What the hell makes you think a 34 year old guy isn't going to do the same thing? Yeh some young drivers drive like w*****s but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush.

and you calling me inexperienced also; Yes i am "inexperienced" but have been driving for 2 years (nothing compared to some people) and consider myself to have learnt a fair bit in that two years to be fair; enough for me to feel confident enough to handle a 2 litre clio.

Iv had a buzz in an evo/subaru/norms vee/numerous 1*2's and to be fair they are hardly super cars. A decent upgrade without being daft imo :approve:

on the other hand i can see where you are coming from. what if the dirty chav hasn't got the ££££ to pay for the porsche's hes wrote off?

maybe paying the full premium in full (premium+excess) would be a better idea, then at the end of the policy you are refunded your excess maybe?

2001 172

I havent taken it the wrong way at all. I know exactly how frustrating higher premiums are, as I were just starting out at one point as well. but the higher premiums are based on market stats showing that the younger the driver, the more powerful the car the higher your premium is. fullstop end of. The fact that you may be younger and could be a nigh on perfect driver isnt taken into account.

just because you buy your 182 and driver it perfectly safely doesnt entitle you to lower premiums, because low and behold there will be another guy in the same town, driving the same car, at the same age and will do the whole "Porsche showroom" thing.

The insurers can only go on historic stats, as they havent the man power the come out and assess your driving style/skill come every renewal. It sucks, as ultimately the people who are safe end up paying for the claims of people who should never be given the right to drive.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

point taken mate and yeah makes complete sense.

Other people ruining it for everyone else.

I wasn't hinting im a perfect driver btw. i still fook up although it only seldom happens ;)

2001 172

yer yer..... but once you hit mid 20's the cost comes down considerably, and quite quickly too

M135i

Hey mate, im currently in same boat as u just havent bought the car lol 19 and shite postcode lol, been a very interesting read and an awful lot of people saying dont do it but im with you and gonna say balls to it. From what ive been quoted (which most wont) its not going to well just like yourself lol. Just trying elephant atm and then going to try brent-care. Im hoping for around the same quote as you and would be happy for somthing around the 2000 mark :eek: (who cares u only live once and might die tomoro). So have you found any other companys that actually gave you a quote instead of just laughing at u donwn the phone ? Nice list would be helpful mate.

Also would the insurance be the same on a 182 and a 172 cup ? Cudnt really imagin much difference tbh would there ?.

Thanks alot n keep me informed of how your getting on.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Cheapest i have found up to now is brentacre buddy but here is my list:
Adrian Flux - £3,500
performance direct - £Fail
More than - £
Bell - £Fail
Swindon - £6,500
Equity - £6,400
Direct Line - £ Wont cover 21+
Brent-care - £2489
Noel Dazeley -
Keith Michaels 0208 6427868
A-Plan 01635 874646

If your struggling for money it may be worth considering a ph1 172 and insuring it TPTF!
If you find any companys not on that list let me know. and vice versa :D good luck fella.

M135i

i dont want a ph1, its ph2 or stick with current 1.2 lol would there be much difference between the 172 cup and 182 you think ?

Will let u know if i find any.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

172 cup has no abs or anything and some companys wont cover 172 cup. As for the 182 cup / everything else id say that they are all the same dude.

172 cup has no abs or anything and some companys wont cover 172 cup. As for the 182 cup / everything else id say that they are all the same dude.
Years ago when I got quoted on a 172 & a 172 cup, the cup came out cheaper, this was when both cars were about 7k.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

hmmm thats strange, quiet a few site's iv been on say "cars not covered = Clio 172 Cup".. maybe the people that do insure them wont make a difference then!?

Yeah I think that maybe now a lot realised that cup killing season comes along in winter, so they won't touch them anymore.

I actually quite fancy one.

Da

Less

Some companies now list the 172 Cup as insurance group 17, whereas the other 172's and 182's are group 16.

Not sure about the Trophy though.

Da

Less

Yeah I thought as much but wasn't sure. Due to the expensive suspension if I remember correctly?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

Can't beleive how much it is for you Luke, but meh, you'll love it so will be worth it.

Listerine & Poledo

young drivers + any car that goes at a decent lick and looks decent = big insurance bill.

I guess it's something to do with things like hormones, which will demand that said young driver will be so busy flashing off their fancy motor to either assert their dominance as the alpha male (likely in a McD's car park) or to attempt to mate with some female of the species (likely in a McD's car park).

Whilst paying attention to these factors, said driver has completely missed the fact they are now tin-top down in a ditch, or lodged in the front doorway of a DFS.

I dont mean to be a killjoy here geez, but, really, you can do a lot more with 2k than just go no faster than the rest of the traffic sat behind that lorry.

...mind, I dont understand the draw to ruining cars with "modifications" either.....or the Fast/furious saga for that matter

M135i

I dont mean to be a killjoy here geez, but, really, you can do a lot more with 2k than just go no faster than the rest of the traffic sat behind that lorry.

Can understand why people think its mad, but then why does anybody buy one just to sit behind a lorry ? just because were young doesnt mean we cnt drive sensible on the roads + have fun on prvate roads or quiet roads just like someone who is abit older.

For me its not just for the performance why i want one anyway, its for the improved looks over non sports.

Tbh though mate if you work hard enough to earn the dosh then why not go out and treat yourself ?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

young drivers + any car that goes at a decent lick and looks decent = big insurance bill.

I guess it's something to do with things like hormones, which will demand that said young driver will be so busy flashing off their fancy motor to either assert their dominance as the alpha male (likely in a McD's car park) or to attempt to mate with some female of the species (likely in a McD's car park).

Whilst paying attention to these factors, said driver has completely missed the fact they are now tin-top down in a ditch, or lodged in the front doorway of a DFS.

I don't mean to be a killjoy here geez, but, really, you can do a lot more with 2k than just go no faster than the rest of the traffic sat behind that lorry.

...mind, I don't understand the draw to ruining cars with "modifications" either.....or the Fast/furious saga for that matter
I don't really think i need to justify to people what i do with my money but just for the record:

now if you took time to read the thread, i got a REALLY good quote on the 182. until they said it no longer stands. so im here now with a 182 and for the sake of an extra 700 on insurance why would i f**k about selling it for a car i really like :S

sorry mate but i don't agree with you at all. your verging on narrow mindedness.

Iv paid for the lot of this with my own money, no investment from parents or lottery. Iv gone out there and worked my ass off doing all types of s**t. As for "ruining cars with modifications" WTF? improving a car with subtle mods = no big deal?

Lastly, haters in this thread are going off like its some super car powered lambo the way people go off. Its a 182. Fast yes but by no means stupid. I honestly can't see the problem :S

A money pit

Have you tried any of the following;

HIC
CIS
Quinn
Swinton
Endsleigh
Bell
TheAA
Swift

Maybe whoever you bank with can provide some sort of insurance. Also add an older female you know to the policy, should knock at least £50 off the price.

378bhp Leon Cupra R

A boy in my work is just turned 19 with 1yr NCD and has a Corsa VXR artic and is insured by Bell as main driver & mum and dad as named drivers and he pays £1700 his excess is £700 i think.

Elise 111R

I don't really think i need to justify to people what i do with my money but just for the record:

now if you took time to read the thread, i got a REALLY good quote on the 182. until they said it no longer stands. so im here now with a 182 and for the sake of an extra 700 on insurance why would i f**k about selling it for a car i really like :S

sorry mate but i don't agree with you at all. your verging on narrow mindedness.

Iv paid for the lot of this with my own money, no investment from parents or lottery. Iv gone out there and worked my ass off doing all types of s**t. As for "ruining cars with modifications" WTF? improving a car with subtle mods = no big deal?

Lastly, haters in this thread are going off like its some super car powered lambo the way people go off. Its a 182. Fast yes but by no means stupid. I honestly can't see the problem :S

Because most of us have been there and done that or took advice and avoided giving a company 2k for not alot.

As you can tell i agree with the other guy that 2k is far to much for a hot shopping trolly.

I got my 182 final year of uni after my Cooper S and it was around 900 and if either those had been the other side of 1500 i wouldn't of bothered.

Seriously think about what you want 2k is a lot of your hard earned! You wont get noticed (other than chavs) nor will you feel that much difference in power once you've lived with it after a couple of months.

I would go traveling or put it into shares?

But hey sounds like you've bought it before getting the insurance so :rolleyes:

2001 172

I'm afraid fella whether you agree or disagree doesnt matter one iyota. The chap above has echoed what I said earlier and explained how the insurance companies view younger drivers on risk. Your right, noone can tell you how to spend your money, but what I think they're trying to say is that you can do a hell of alot more with the money. I've always said if you earn it, and can afford it, then buy it and worry not. Just respect it, as you said its not a lambo, but it'll feel like for for quite a long while

Elise 111R

READ THE ORIGINAL POST FOR f**kS SAKE!:quiet:

Yer it says you've put a deposit down...... so why didn't you check the insurance before shopping?

I don't test drive M3 CSL's just yet as i know i couldn't afford the up keep i.e. serving, consumables and insurance (you know the whole in costs) this means i don't crave the ass of one and get into the position you find yourself?

Dont worry about anyone tbh pay up the premiums its YOUR money

M2 Competition

Because most of us have been there and done that or took advice and avoided giving a company 2k for not alot.

As you can tell i agree with the other guy that 2k is far to much for a hot shopping trolly.

I got my 182 final year of uni after my Cooper S and it was around 900 and if either those had been the other side of 1500 i wouldn't of bothered.

Seriously think about what you want 2k is a lot of your hard earned! You wont get noticed (other than chavs) nor will you feel that much difference in power once you've lived with it after a couple of months.

But hey sounds like you've bought it before getting the insurance so :rolleyes:

If he wants to spend his money on insurance thats his business.

Lad really likes his cars, and we've all got to have something to enjoy.

Why are you getting so annoyed with him?

2001 172

I dont think anyones annoyed, just gobsmacked that anyone could bare to give the greedy pikeys that much money. your correct, its his cash but ClioTom182 is defo right, give it 6 months and your 2k will have gone.... as will the 5kk rpm kick grin factor.

Owen

ClioSport Admin

Don't see how you can advocate spending the money on a round the world plane ticket or the like over the insurance. Both are the same in as much as they represent sunk costs invested in the pursuit of enjoying yourself, be it treking round Oz or hooning round your favorite roundabout. After doing both you are left with nothing tangible, just the memories and who is to say that the enjoyment of travelling is greater than the joy of owning/driving his 182 for the Boosh.

As for shares, not really the safest place for you money at the mo....

Elise 111R

Don't see how you can advocate spending the money on a round the world plane ticket or the like over the insurance. Both are the same in as much as they represent sunk costs invested in the pursuit of enjoying yourself, be it treking round Oz or hooning round your favorite roundabout. After doing both you are left with nothing tangible, just the memories and who is to say that the enjoyment of travelling is greater than the joy of owning/driving his 182 for the Boosh.

As for shares, not really the safest place for you money at the mo....

Owww you nearly had me all zipped up in that post.

Your quite right in that both involve given someone money in the pursit of happiness. But in my mind (opinion) traveling is something which is of greater value than paying xxx amount for car insurance and gives back much more than playing on the local B roads.

But on the last point, shares if played right seem like a good way to go right now, if you invest carefully and do the waiting game you could see good returns in comparison to giving it away for insurance purposes? For instance BAE Systems shares are really low they will only rise again, just a thought, but i do understand that this is far from secure.

Owen

ClioSport Admin

^^ Ha ha, I did click edit to change the wording on the shares point but CBA in the end.:eek:

Like everything, if you have the time to watch them/abiltiy to liquidise quickly then your right you can make a decent return.

We will have to agree to disagree on the other point, I never went travelling post uni and TBH if it would have meant giving up the car I don't know if I would have gone even if I had my time again.:)

Last edited:
  renault 5tt+clio tt

Have you tried any of the following;

HIC
CIS
Quinn
Swinton
Endsleigh
Bell
TheAA
Swift

Maybe whoever you bank with can provide some sort of insurance. Also add an older female you know to the policy, should knock at least £50 off the price.
hic for me..
no no claims as there on other cars got a renault 5 with a audi tt engine. agreed evaluation 15k 620 fully comp.. im 24
and clio tt.. well 120 1 years n/c;)

Clio 197 08

Yer it says you've put a deposit down...... so why didn't you check the insurance before shopping?

I don't test drive M3 CSL's just yet as i know i couldn't afford the up keep i.e. serving, consumables and insurance (you know the whole in costs) this means i don't crave the ass of one and get into the position you find yourself?

Dont worry about anyone tbh pay up the premiums its YOUR money

It explains that in the original post to, he checked all the insurance online and he got a "decent" quote. He then put the deposit down on the vehicle, phoned insurance up to confirm this price and they changed there story!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

lolcano.gif

I will give HIC a call in the week as i haven't tried them yet. Thank you everyone for your useful input.

owen/rami - said what iv been trying to say most of this thread in two short posts. cheers fellas.:cheers:
:race:

Storm Grey 200

Do you think brent acre would do me a quote for june the 1st? or is it too early

Owen

ClioSport Admin

and we wonder why younger drivers are charged the earth to insure such motors.......I rest my case ma' lord

I don't think that enjoying negotiating a roundabout is limited only to those short in the tooth, furthermore hooning round a roundabout need not mean taking it at a dangerous speed/on the limit of your control.

I can understand why you might infer that from my post though, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.