ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ipod or Not?

Audi S3 Saloon
Ok then guys and gals,

have managed to resist the attraction of Ipods/mp3 players until now...

Its my 21st this weekend and thinking of asking for an ipod or mp3 player as a present from rents

I have a w800i phone but obviously 512Mb is not enough memory.

I want the player to be easily carried when running without bothering me as I do a lot of running.

How much memory is realistically enough!?

Was looking at either a 4Gb nano or a 30Gb video for only £40 more, but obviously a difference in size!? Is 30Gb excessive!?

Any advice appreciated, including alternatives or where to buy an ipod cheap.

Cheers

172 Exclusive... For Sale
My girlfriend bought a Creative Zen for £126 and it has around 24gb. From Comet by the way. Oh and its pink but i'm sure you can get it in other colours.

If you're running then you want solid state memory not Hard Disk as hard disk will jump.

Hence you'll be limited to 4gb tops as that's as good as it gets at the moment! lol

Personally I'd say don't be a sheep / label ***** - get a Creative Zen - much better IMO :cool:

Audi S3 Saloon
Yeah Ipod it will prob end up being!!

Any good places to buy a 4gb nano?

I hear that Apple do discount for students!?

A red missile
Anything with the word Apple on it will cost more and break, this wont matter as you'll have been taken in by the 'think different' b****cks and convinced yourself that its the best thing ever.

63/500 said:
You havent seen the 9 high pile of macbooks at work with broken logic boards :)

Get them replaced then? :p

Macbook's are less than a year old.. so it'll be a free swap out. ;)

Logic board swaps are quite common.. you bought a Revision A product, so you are likely to have some issues.. same with anything :)

9 is high tho - did you buy a million or something? ;)

A red missile
Erm... ok help me out here, why is it best to pay retail to Apple when someone like e-buyer undercuts them a by fair old margin?

rory182 said:
ipods aint all that, a fashion accessory more than anything prefer creative.

True, the iPod is just an "iPod" so it wins by default.

The Creative's you can do DRM stuff, so subscribe to Napster and get unlimited music whilst subscribed.. but, at the end of the day.. I'd always be wanting an iPod.. just because.

Oh, BTW, I'm an Apple-name *****.. and it has to look good.
Damnit, 80% of the decision to get a Macbook Pro was because it looked nice.. muahahaha.:quiet:

63/500 said:
Erm... ok help me out here, why is it best to pay retail to Apple when someone like e-buyer undercuts them a by fair old margin?

After delivery etc.. there didn't ever seem to be much difference. (like, it worked out saving £2 or something, and you could get direct Apple support)

Seemed to have changed a little..

Anyway, you get an Apple dispatch note if you buy from Apple. :rasp:

rory182 said:
I have an ipod and want a creative, just because....

Yea, same.. just because it can do more... but, if I had a Creative, I'd want an iPod just because.
I don't want both.

Maybe we need Walkman's or something.

FF 182
Ipod is great especially if you may consider about installing in car as well.
all stereo manufacturers and car makers now have i-pod compatible systems.

Thats why in my clio i have my i-pod in the glovebox all the time being charged and have a selection of 2500 songs through my head unit. cant beat it.

A red missile
Hmm 60Gb ipod video - from Apple £299.99 - free shipping
from e-buyer £244.97 - free shipping

hope that despatch note is gold plated :)

Clio 182
I just ordered a Nano direct from Apple and they delivered within 24 hours, some of the other websites I looked at were very vague or slow on delivery. (I get a discount with Apple anyway though).

RenaultSport Clio CUP
saw ebuyer or was it ccl computers were selling nano's at a discount rate (cheaper than apple the ad said - go check em out)........

buy an apple mate - we have a 20gb ipod and wife uses a 4gb nano - we also have a zen which is a really good mp3 player too...........but the apple wins hands down use to the fact we have 3 cars and an ipod lead in all the cars - it charges and sounds great if you buy the better lead that plugs into cd changer slot........

we have 2 bose base units in diffo areas of house and i run 10 kms most days and have ipod strapped to my arm via a special holder - never once skipped............

sound wise (if you are using decent headphones or played via hi-end hi-fi) i think the zen does actually sound better........but we are talking slighty!!! - so unless zen is much cheaper and budget is main factor..........its gotta be an ipod............and itunes is a better piece of software than the zens offering..........

my feelings based on ipod/zen ownership...........past 4 years............

Danny

mk5 VDUB polo
ipod's are fashion accesories. all the one's my friends have had have broken.

get a sony pocket mp3 player.........what i've had for 2 years, 3000 songs.......no problems

Ph-Sold!
Daz said:
The Nano is very well priced.. as in, for 4GB solid state, it's quite cheap, heh.

Didnt realise 4GB cards were still so expensive! Nano is a bit of a bargin there!

6/468 17poo
ive always wanted an ipod, nearly bought one but dont wanna be a sheep!the video and the creative m, i looked into both and if ur just wanting music get the ipod as the vision is more geared up for video!plus its a bit slimmer by 9mm or something silly!
plus theres a shed load of accs for gaypod
Ryan

Titanium F/F 182
Sony - Erricsson have started using another type of memory card in their phones. If the card in you phone is Sony then you need to think about getting an ipod. if it is branded sandisk or scandisk (can't remember which and can't be arsed getting my phone) then have a look on the t'internet and look for programmes for expanding memory discs. 512 can be doubled to 1gig and 1gig to 2gig etc. You need to have a good luck around and you might need to try it a few times but thats what i have done. The only down side is if you enlarge the card you loose anything stored on it. The reason it works is the sandisk cards are exactly the same as the sony cards (sony buy them and rebrand them sony) but they are not restricted to size. the card just needs to be reprogrammed to the size you want. Other than that Micro Direct on Upper Brook Street in Manchester are doing refurbed 30gig colour photo ipods for around £120. I had a look at one the other day and you'll be hard pressed to tell.

Clio 172 mk2
Ipod nano with armband for running, i've got an ipod mini and never had any problems use it for running / gym all the time!

Once you've got it get some Shenhiesser (SP) head fones as they sound s**t hot!!

(Say nano as they don't make minis no more!)

Mk2 Golf GTI
All this, 'ipod is a fashion accessory' talk is b****cks.

I haven't got one yet but i will do because they've easily go the quickest and easiest interface of the lot. no clunky buttons, just smooth touch sensitive scrolling and they look great. Also compatible with loads of stuff from speaker systems to head units.

How is it being a sheep to want one? It's like saying you're all sheep for owning Clios!

VaVa
I have a 1gb nano (was all that was available when the first came out) and it's a lovely bit of kit it really is. There may be players with more function but the ipod does everything I need and is a doddle to use. The fact it's an absolutely stunning piece of design is an added bonus.

Turbos.
I bought the shuffle the other day, it's a pretty expensive USB stick but at least it looks sexy...

For some reason it doesn't connect to my work PC which is annoying, and i find iTunes pretty frustrating to use so far.

I'm not really into technology but bought an Apple purely because they are the most popular, so i thought the best, but now i wish i had a look around first.

Octy VRS
I've had a Sony HD5 for about a year. Wouldn't swap it for any other. Can't beat it for sound quality or battery life and if you drop it the hard disk is fine.