ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it me or do the older generation just not get detailing?

Black Gold Trophy
My dad asked me the other day where my meguiars last touch detailer spray was, I gave it to him, then I went outside to see him spraying bird sh*t on his CLK with it and wiping it off with one of my microfibre cloths.

"Cheers dad, you have wasted some of my products, scratched your paint and wrecked one of my mf cloths all in one step!"

Needless to say he couldnt understand when I said the above!

Lee

BMW M2C
I keep buying my old man things to clean his car, but he just takes it down the jet wash. He has good intentions for a few months while they're new, then loses interest. He rarely tops up the Diamond Bright stuff.

I was shocked to see he had bought a wheel brush when I went round last night!!!

182 has now gone!
My dad is the same, cleans the car with washing up liquid. But his motorbike gets lavished with Autoglym products!!!

My dad's proud to have a sponge for the wheels & a sponge for the body work, but like you Clare he still uses washing up liquid :rolleyes:

Since the new car, dad has really got into it! He even bought a new Karcher for the snow foam lance (paying for that as well).

Got me to detail the 8 and then copies every washing method, including buying the same products lol!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My dad brings hs car to my work and sit and smokes a fag, drinks tea while muggins here cleans it!!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Same with my Dad too, I was getting to grips with the rotary last night, using the menz 3.02.

"have you tried t-cut or turtle wax?"

I just gave him that look lol

R27, Deep Black
My dad seems to always tell me what stuff to use and how to get certain things off, and its always good advice! He loves detailing his cars. So i guess im kinda lucky!

Lee

BMW M2C
Thinking about it, it's probably more that they have better things to do. I don't have the time to do it.

I've never detailed a car in my life, the most I've ever done is a good polish and wax. I've ever once taken a wheel off to clean, or taped over bits. lol

182 (Conversion)
My dad doesn't clean his car...well maybe once a year with an old rag/sponge (whatever is at hand) and washing up liquid.

Your car is the second most expensive thing you own, makes sense to look after it!

200 FF Storm Grey
My dad aint got a clue, he uses my buckets for plaster, my sponges for window cills, got a bucket full of stuff and he wouldnt have a clue, suppose its jsut their generation, when they were younger if you had a car you was a lucky guy, if it had 4 wheels and moved they were prob happy, paintwork wouldnt of been high on their lists

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Same with my Dad too, I was getting to grips with the rotary last night, using the menz 3.02.

"have you tried t-cut or turtle wax?"

I just gave him that look lol

"There is nothing that a bit O T-CUT and TURTLE WAX wont sort out"

Sounds like my dad LOL:D

120d M Sport
My old man tries to be innovative with his car cleaning to keep up with me but has come up with some laughable attempts thus far.

Went and bought some horrible scratchy looking cloths from tesco, claiming he's improving his equipment.

Bought a Karcher but uses it dangerously!

But best of all was him trying to clean his wheels with a steam cleaner the other weekend, when asked why he was doing that he said steam cleaners are good at degreasing..facepalm. Needless to say it wasnt shifting anything

200 Gordini
Ive got to wash my dads car.
I dont like doing it because the paint feels like sandpaper (P reg mondeo) and when i say i'll give it a full detail he says theres no point and he needs the car.

my dad never washs his car its normaly me once in a bluemoon a big black swired s-type is a pain to clean it looks worse then it does to start with hes normaly really greatful its been done :eek:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I use whatever's on the shelf to wash my car.

I've often been tempted to get a ruck load of detailing stuff, but I would want a nice paint job to motivate me to keep it nice. As it stands I used Pledge multi-surface cleaner to clean up my car the other day. Have used BMW brake cleaner in the past too and that brings a nice shine up and gets dirt off a hell of a lot easier than soap and a sponge!

LY V6 with Recaros
My dad has good intentions when he first gets a new car. He gives me some money to go and and buy some decent cleaning stuff, mf cloths and polishes etc, but he never actually gets round to using them! I usually do it the first time then I think if he's not bothered then I won't be either!

White clique
My dad robs a few bits from my box of tricks which is stashed around mums house, but this is limited to the very basics such as tyre gel!

Speaking on behalf of the older generation I am fed up of my son nicking my products or using the last of it and telling me it needs replacing. There is an up side though that when he borrows my car he takes it to work and details it for me.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Wouldn't say it's just the older generation, plenty of people my age and younger have no idea about keeping a car clean and caring for it. I suppose car detailing as we know it is a relatively new thing, so it's rarer in the old generations than it is in the young-uns.

200 Gordini
Wouldn't say it's just the older generation, plenty of people my age and younger have no idea about keeping a car clean and caring for it. I suppose car detailing as we know it is a relatively new thing, so it's rarer in the old generations than it is in the young-uns.

Megs was founded in 1901! lol
its just the case of people not having a clue. 98% of people would say tcut is how you get scratches out. Let them carry on because it makes my car look better ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah I know, but "car detailing as we know it" is relatively new. There have always been a minority group of people who have obsessed over the condition of their car paintwork, but it's more prominent now through the advent of the internet and an increased popularity and awareness of enthusiast owners' clubs and car shows.

Evo 8 MR
My dad has a Rover 100, I'll stop there.

I didn't know about any of this either until about a year ago I assumed a sponge and fairy liquid was the norm. Couldn't be more wrong.

Nimbus Megane R26
dad didnt bother with his focus but now has a new'ish golf gt and is just as bad as me. Jamie detailed mine and now iv bought loads of stuff and been really careful with it and still looks freshly pc'd so my dad has bought the same stuff and his looks good too. hmm rare to have a dad into detailing hah. he does mine for me sometimes, loves it hah.

clio exclusive no112
well i see im very lucky my dad allways kept his cars clean inside and out,guess thats where i got the bug from .my mum allways washes her car every week 2 bucket method plus wash mitt and finished off with a drying towel.will teach her soon about detail spray.my grandad of 94 he has a mx 5 which he washes ,clays ,polishes and glaze and waxes. so it proves the older generation can learn new tricks.

Mine couldn't be opposites; mum tuts when I say that I am washing mine, dad joins me! Although having said that mum does like the results of my PCing work with CS member's cars.