ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is it worth px'ing my 172cup for a williams

clio rs
some dude down me road like my 172cup, and wants to px it for his williams...i not know much about them

iv never really driven one, are they any good, is it worth looking in to it, are there reiable, and wats the differance with williams 1 2 & 3.

will it be as fast as the cup

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldnt mate, as much as i love them and think there probaly one or if not the best hot hatch of the 90's id keep the cup.

This said, what condition is it in?

S2000
It depends what you are after tbh. If you use your car as a weekend toy or something that you can live without every now and then I would say go for the williams, if you need it to be 100% guaranteed to work OK day in day out you would probably be better with the cup.

As some have said the williams COULD give you endless problems. However, don't believe that it will definately give you major problems - it is largely down to how the car has been looked after, but if you do get a bad one then I agree that you can have a seemingly never ending list of issues. I've had my hybrid (Mk1 1.8 16v with a 2.0 16v williams engine) for about 15 months now and haven't had any major problems as it has been well looked after by myself and the previous owner, the odd thing here or there but I honestly don't think I would be better off with a Mk2 clio. However, previous to that I had a Mk1 1.8 16v clio that just gave me 1 problem after the other and in the end I sold it as I got sick fed up of them, but I would admit to that being largely my own fault in buying it without checking it over enough and not being patient enough to wait on the right car.

Vw caddy tdi
^^ As above says could turn out a bit like the Tom Hanks film Money Pit! But when working as it should it'l be a better handling even quicker car than the 172cup.

Monaco RS Clio 172
I thought that too.

the 172 cup is surely quicker?

more power, better handling? or am I talking poo?

I had a 1.8 valver for my 2nd car, and my 172 would kill it when it comes to handling, unless I just had a dodgey one.

I understand this is not a fair comparison when it comes to williams, but my valver handled nowhere near as well as my 172, so surely the williams is not THAT much better?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My Williams is rust free and good as a daily runner. I have done 13k in the last year and it has not been a problem. If i take it easy i can get 36mpg and 32mpg if driven heavily. Is very raw and as far as saftey goes not alot of features, Im looking to get rid of mine in favour of something newer but not due to the reasons posted in this thread.

1 Series Coupe
I am looking at buying a williams as a project car... I've just got to find somewhere to store it!

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
I understand this is not a fair comparison when it comes to williams, but my valver handled nowhere near as well as my 172, so surely the williams is not THAT much better?

The Williams is wider at the front track than a valver, so handles far far better!! totly differnt weapon!
I love mine cant see me ever selling it, although mines just used as a weekend car, hopfully soon get a 182 for the daily driver.

I dont think you would regret p/xing the cup for a Williams imo dont think it would be any slower, and you would get money your way. Go take a drive in 1 and see what you think

I love the way people on this forum like to claim that owning a williams will be nothing but trouble, when a quick use of the search button brings up a huge list of 'my car is back at the dealers...warrenty work' posts for the mk2 variants.

Selective reasoning i think they call it.

Melting steering wheels
chocolate engine mounts
Imobiliser fault
Airbag light faults
4k rattle
Dash problems
Replacement gearboxes
Engines that produce less than 160 bhp
Broken dog bone mounts
Exhausts that fall off

The list is endless.

The facts (if you would rather deal with facts rather than fantasy) are that most of the 'parts' on the mk1 and mk2 are the same, or similar. Much of the suspension is interchangeable, the engines are similar in design with similar quality parts, the subframe, wishbones, mounts, all similar. The gear linkage, electric motors, pumps and drive belts are all similar. Just where this improved reliability in the mk2's has mysteriously come from is something i wish the delusional would tell me.

I expect some more c0cky one liners in response to this post, as this hides the fact that the respondents really know very little about how their cars work or how the parts function.

There is no real evidence that either mk1s or mk2s are more reliable. There are shockingly unreliable examples of both and surprisingly reliable examples of both.

I suggest you try a Williams and see if you like it. If the service history is good, the oil looks fresh and the belts new, id say it will probably be as reliable as any mk2. The engine are pretty bullet proof.

Monaco RS Clio 172
does the williams suffer dodgey gearbox issues like the 172s can?

just out of curiousity.

I suppose it depends. for me, the 172 is a much better car. better as in, newer, hell of alot more modern especially interior even tho it is poorly built, it feels a more modern place to be.

opinions are just that I suppose

no right or wrong answers.

It has basically the same gearbox. Its a jc5 with slightly different final drive and ratios. It has the same synchromesh, the same selectors and the same basic gear set. So reilability is pretty much identical.

And for everyone of you who likes a more modern mk2 interior, there is someone else who preferes the retro feel and rawness of the mk1s. It doesnt make the mk2s 'better', just different.

Monaco RS Clio 172
I do agree, bradharding24.

I loved my mk1 to pieces and still remember it as being a very VERY fun car to have at 17 without a care in the world. :)

williams 2 turbo
i have a williams 2, with a special engine granted, but i would'nt swap for a cup. i like the so called old school styling, and it gets more looks than friends later clio's ever had. if you want a rarer car that may need a little more looking after then swap yours, but if you just want a get in car you can cain to death every day, stick with the cup. The reliablility side of it only comes down to, how you and the previous owner look after it., not the fact the a willy is better than a 172, or vise versa