ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issue fitting New Shock & Coil

Clio 182
Hi Guys,

Fried to fit some cooksport springs and new shocks today but had a bit of an issue. I haven't done anything like this before so followed a few guides but none of them seem to have the same issue.
Picture sort of shows the issue. The bottom of the shock is sitting far too low to be able to bolt the hub back onto the chassis.

Zpqt6Qt.jpg

I've not seen anyone else have this issue? I've tried using the spring compressors but I can't fit the shock whilst they are on, I can't bend the chassis down enough to bolt it all back together and I can't lift against the shock as it's stronger than I am!

Brakes are off as I'm changing Pads/Disks at the same time.

I'm hoping I've missed something obvious?!

Cheers,
James

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm going to go with them being the wrong shocks. They have the wrong bolt spacing.

But then I could be wrong as I'm no expert to say the least.

182cup & 172 racecar
You need to lever the wishbone down, have you split the bottom ball joint rubber, can't quite see from the picture.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Am I on drugs here?

The top bolt on the strut is in so I don't see how the strut can be moved up anymore than it is?

Surely the bolt spacing on the strut is too wide?

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames here! lol

Clio 182
Ha Ron the space is fine .. the problem is that it can't swing down to line up.
If I line up the bolts then I can't lift the whole unit back up onto the lower ball joint.
If I put the unit above the ball joint then it's hittng the drive shaft so won't swing down .. it's as if the shock and spring need to be compressed but I can't work out how

Unbuilt the hub from the shock. Fasten ball joint into the hub. Use a bar to lever web against subframe and bolt the shock onto the hub

Clio 182
You need to lever the wishbone down, have you split the bottom ball joint rubber, can't quite see from the picture.
I've tried Tony, but from what I could see this would require removing the ARB etc which I've never heard of anyone having to do before?

FF Clio 182
You only put the top mount on by a couple oh threads to start. Then tilt the hub and pull down then the holes should line up. Then tighten top mounts.

340i
Put a breaker bar between the wishbone and subframe to lever the hub down, this will allow the shock absorber to slot in place.

FF Clio 182
I've tried Tony, but from what I could see this would require removing the ARB etc which I've never heard of anyone having to do before?

Are both sides of the car jacked up ? If not then you will be fighting the ARB! If both wheels are off the ground the wheels will drop lower giving you the space you need.

182cup & 172 racecar
Are both sides of the car jacked up ? If not then you will be fighting the ARB! If both wheels are off the ground the wheels will drop lower giving you the space you need.

Ah, because I used a ramp, I forget about that one. Silly old me.