ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've plated my nuts!

Sprint 172
I'm sure this will baffle most people, but I was never that happy with the clean up of the suspension parts under the arches that I did last year (you might have seen it at CSS). Everything survived the winter apart from the nuts and bolts which started to rust. Rather then buy new nuts and bolts, I bought a home plating kit and they are now zinc/nickel plated with a yellow passivate finish. At the same time I bought some new lower arms and a new carbon canister - thanks Tom @ Wests and finally got round to painting the subframe. I've also painted a proper coat of Monaco blue under there as Dieppe couldn't be bothered!

Before…

arch1.gif

Plated and painted parts…

platedbits.gif

After…

finished.gif

I'm showing this now in case anyone is interested as I'm not taking the wheels off again at CSS!

I know I'm insane - but a married bloke with kids has to have a hobby!

Hero. At CS Sat last year I thought you had a puncture until I wandered over... Then the OCD became clear.

Superb attention to detail!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That is just ridiculous, what happens when you go through a muddy or wet road?

W

WAR 23N

Thought I had OCD when it came to my car but this is a whooole new level... Looks well though :clap:

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
That looks incredible! 10/10 for effort, but I'd be scared to drive my car if it was that clean

Sprint 172
Looks good, how much do these plating kits cost roughly?
Depends on what level you want to go in at - just Zinc or Zinc and Nickel, filters, pumps heaters etc. Between £50 and £150.

Your springs are rusting mate.
I've cleaned them up since then - but you are right, they could do with powder coating again.

That is just ridiculous, what happens when you go through a muddy or wet road?
I clean it!

Thanks for understanding!

Ged

PD130 Peach
looks mint! i mean, not for me, but i think you need to invest in a glass case to keep it in :eek:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
thats amazing!! did you just paint the hubs and steering arms?!

im rebuilding mine and would love it to look 0.0000001x's this good!! lol

i do however thing you have issues!! :D

M135i and the shed
Better than brand new. Doesn't get much better than that!

Link to these plating kits please. :)

Sprint 172
thats amazing!! did you just paint the hubs and steering arms?!

im rebuilding mine and would love it to look 0.0000001x's this good!! lol

i do however thing you have issues!! :D

Hubs were painted last April. Steering track rods had a fresh coat of silver to tidy them up.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That is crazy mate amazing attention detail, If I ever have the time to have a hobby this is what I want to do :)

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Looks spot on mate, i dont think your mad, I think your normal lol, everyone should have cars this clean and sound, I bet the mot station loves you coming haha

Sprint 172
Will this have any benefit to longevity?

Serious question.

The plating is a sacrificial coating - i.e. it rusts so the nuts and bolts don't. This rust is called white rust. The zinc/nikel plate is actually better than the factory uses as the additional Nickel offers 5 times the resistance before white rust forms - that's about 1500 hours of salt spray! The plating on the thread doesn't come off when assembled so the whole nut and bolt is protected - no seized nuts.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Would it work on wheel / locking nuts or would it be damaged when doing them back up?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Holy sheeet! I think I should be your second wife, screw that ... divorce her we would make a great couple :eek:

Awesome! Superb, I loved this at ccs last year! Looking forwrd to meeting my hubby to be :D

Sprint 172
Holy sheeet! I think I should be your second wife, screw that ... divorce her we would make a great couple :eek:

Awesome! Superb, I loved this at ccs last year! Looking forwrd to meeting my hubby to be :D

What a difference plated nuts make!