ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jaguar S-Type R, or Audi S4 B6?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I need a V8, well want one really. I'm stuck between both cars, the Jag and the Audi....

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Jag, they have a 400bhp supercharged V8, which to be honest makes me wet. 90% of people don't know what they are and what's under the hood. Quite rare, think I've only ever seen one in the flesh.

Second option is the Audi, less power at 344bhp, but has Quattro and is generally a nicer looking car, however a tad more money than the Jag.

What would you guys choose?

jag-002.gif

Audi_b6_s4_2005_celtic12112.png

Cup In bits
If purchase prices are similar I would personally buy on tyre/brake/service costs and secondly on potential major problems. I usually follow the mantra of, nicer the car the bigger the problems.

They're both nice understated cars and most wouldn't know the difference to a lower model.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Audi seems to have problems with cam chains, the dealer who I rang the other day even mentioned it had the occasional rattle.... Can't really find any issues with the STR.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Cant believe i'm saying this but i'd have the jag but purely for the engine.
Audi is a better all rounder.

Unsure of the issues with the type R but the S4 as above is a massive risk given the value of them. Get one thats had the chains done.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Jags sound mental with the supercharger, then again the s4 does as well with some exhaust mods. My insurance, swiftcover only want to charge me an extra £8 to change from a TT (paying £287 at the mo per year and I've only just renewed)to a 400bhp super charged Jag, but won't insure me atall on the S4.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Audi is the obvious choice... but there is something about the Jag! Always has been...

Clio 182
I would look at Audi b5 2.7 V6 Bi-Turbo. Ultimate sleeper and easy to get 400-500 bhp with turbo swap to ko4 or RS6 turbos. V6 sounds epic and anti-lag / flat shift can be programmed into the ecu so you can spit flames and launch like a pro.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I would look at Audi b5 2.7 V6 Bi-Turbo. Ultimate sleeper and easy to get 400-500 bhp with turbo swap to ko4 or RS6 turbos. V6 sounds epic and anti-lag / flat shift can be programmed into the ecu so you can spit flames and launch like a pro.
The most unreliable audi ever made?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Was just about to say that, I've heard of horrendous bills and things going wrong. I don't want to mod anything, just appreciate it for what it is. I would go as far as maybe an exhaust system however.

Couple of Jags I want to view, one in Romsey and the other in western super mare way.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
A posh lad round the corner to me now has a BMW V10 M5. He used to own a S type-R but chopped it in as the fuel bill was too much !!

VX220
My uncle had the jag. Was a weapon, a true sleeper. Only problem was that it went bang and he ended up braking it as it wasn't worth the money to get fixed. A fantastic car though!

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I grew up on the S-type R's working for Jag and Ason Martin for ten years. If you want to know anything just ask.

I will add they are very reliable to be fair. A few odds and sods but on a whole a lot of car for the money.