ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JonC219's RB182Cup

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Coming along mate. I'm looking to do that track day at Bedford with Javelin so hopefully see you there.

I'm booked up now too Jon! :rasp:

Good man! Can't wait to get out there now, to far away!

Did a bit more to the Clio the last few days. I under sealed the arches with Hammerite and added Waxoyl. I also painted the rocker cover in gloss black engine enamel. Decided to tart up the oil cap in RB for good measure as well ;)

I got my inlets back from ALD and they look brilliant. All the cast marks have been smoothed out and the throttle body inlet has also been worked on. No pictures unfortunately and everything is off to powdercoat at the moment so ill have to grab some when its all back.

9573499412_8c4277358a.jpg
Before Underseal by -Jon_KTM-
9573500520_a4cbdc1308.jpg
Hammerite underbody seal by -Jon_KTM-
9570702211_08060af6c5.jpg
Undersealed arches by -Jon_KTM-
9573501098_f39996e3fe.jpg
Painted rocker by -Jon_KTM-

Also stripped off all the old suspension and lower arms
9570699507_118e13a2ed.jpg
Old shocks by -Jon_KTM-
9570700363_13281bffe3.jpg
Old wishbones by -Jon_KTM-

Once again all the rubber and plastics got cleaned and treated to PERL
9570698743_8b25889b4f.jpg
Shock covers by -Jon_KTM-

And the box of new goodies waiting to go on!
9573499990_b098a108e6.jpg
New bits by -Jon_KTM-

I was aiming to get it finished this weekend but unfortunately the bits won't be back from powdercoat :( more smaller updates over the weekend hopefully!

Unfortunately the powder coat hasn't been completed yet, so I just did a few tidying up jobs this weekend and rubbed down the face of another alloy (only 2 and a half to go!)

9606201108_796c1a973f.jpg
Speaker covers by -Jon_KTM-
9606200628_3f7c538986.jpg
Throttle body by -Jon_KTM-
9606200120_365c3ee113.jpg
Door handle backs by -Jon_KTM-
9606199572_a3ceb70212.jpg
Door handles by -Jon_KTM-

I also had a play with PERL on the plastics to test durability at its current dilution (1:5)
9570705857_764b34ebc8.jpg
Carpro PERL 50/50 by -Jon_KTM-

Managed to get the rear shocks and springs in as let's face it they're not difficult...
9573501696_2e3359f057.jpg
Cooksport springs & cup dampers by -Jon_KTM-

Hopefully the powder coat bits will be back in a couple of days and I can get it down on its wheels at some point, bored of looking at it on axle stands now :(

Any more updates?

Not yet Andrew, still waiting for the bits to come back from powder coat :(

Only update is putting a car cover over the Clio as I'm away from tomorrow morning. It's my birthday in a couple of weeks though so hopefully the misses will treat me to a couple of car related objects!

Finally got all my bits back from powder coat so was able to crack on with the engine bay at the weekend :clap:
10022797785_33ce4aec18.jpg

Powdercoat by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

I had a few more bits powdercoated that aren't in the picture, like the ECU guard and battery bracket etc. as well

Here's a picture of the porting work Andrew at ALD carried out on the lower inlet:
10022881593_986c7f36ec.jpg

Matched Inlets by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Very happy with how both the lower and upper inlet looked with regards to flow, much improved over the standard casting.

This is how the 'bay looked before...
10023681484_c95340da15.jpg

Engine Bay Before by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

During...
10022764164_15b703c9e0.jpg

Engine bay during by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

And after!
10022770724_ec76bacf96.jpg

Engine bay after by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

Very pleased with how it turned out as it took me ages to decide on which colours to have on what bits:eek:. There's still a few little bits to do like swap over the old bolts for some shiny new ones but it looks a million times better than it did:cool:

Best part is the colours go quite well with an engine cover which isn't always the case
10022908005_f6d463c714.jpg

Engine bay after cover by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

I'm thinking of painting in the RenaultSport bit in RB as well, thoughts?

Renault Clio 172
wow that looks amazing i love that! something i have been thinking about doing to mine but not sure about bodies yet!

Renault Clio 172
Thanks Jacky! Bodies is a route I definitely want to go down eventually but that won't be for a couple of years yet unfortunately :(

still cant get over how much i love this engine bay! was chatting about it last night!

That looks great, Jon - the colours work really well. :)

Cheers Andy, I'm glad you agree as I won't be changing them now :p I'm watching your project thread with interest as I can't wait to see some updates :D

still cant get over how much i love this engine bay! was chatting about it last night!

Haha well I'm glad I gave you something to talk about mate

UPDATE:
So I managed to get onto the suspension side of things at the weekend... If I'm honest that's all I was supposed to be doing in the beginning but then I saw the engine bay thread hence my reason for tarting that lot up!

Built up the wishbones with the new style Powerflex black bushes and Lemforder ball joints:
10122571686_6305591fed.jpg

W/bones by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

I decided to support the wishbone in what I thought to be the position it might end up in when on the floor whilst tightening up the bolts. It was a bit of a work up to get the damper lined up with the hub but better than the bushes being constantly stressed in the wrong position.
10122574066_9b1eb517c3.jpg

Lower arms by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
In hindsight I could have had them a bit higher when I tightened the bolts as when it was on the ground the wishbone is practically level with the floor. So for anyone doing this with Cooksport springs fitted you need the wishbone level!

All built up with Lemforder TREs and Eibach camber bolts:
10122463394_5fcc99bca2.jpg

Built up by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

And whilst it was on the stands I fitted the Powerflex dogbone and powdercoated subframe support brackets:
10122466134_486e29976c.jpg

Dogbone by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Managed to strip a thread on one of the sub frame captive nuts though :mad: so that's another thing to add to the list!

And finally sitting on the deck! With my track wheels on as I've lost enthusiasm to rub down the Cup alloys at the moment...
10122651853_a677f3af10.jpg

Cooksport by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
I think it looks great on the 15's now, as before the arch gap was horrendous :dead: As you can see I didn't quite get the tracking right, toe-in FTL.

That was all on Saturday. I wasn't going to bother looking at it again for a while but had nothing to do Sunday so decided to sort out the toes by eye and take it for a test drive round the local business park :D
10122656553_ca5aa95b15.jpg

Shot of height on Cooksports...
10122476364_ee0802dd05.jpg

And the camber definitely needs sorting out. Set to max for now!
10122478154_f14304c87e.jpg

Camber by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

Initial thoughts on the whole set up, I love it.

It feels like a little race car now. Everything from the Powerflex dogbone making everything vibrate to the stiff Cooksports on the bumps on the road. In all honesty I can see why people might be annoyed at the added vibration the Powerflex dogbone brings to the cabin, but as I hardly drive my car in the week I think I won't mind it. Plus Im planning on turning it more track focused anyway.

It also sounds a lot throatier with the opened up inlets. I need to give it a proper run with some fresh Vpower as a couple of WOT runs in 3rd isn't exactly earth moving at the moment! The fuel is 2 months old dont forget.

Currently the Clio is under a car cover again as I won't have time to do anything to it until the weekend after next now. But I am planning on rubbing down the last 2 alloys on Sunday for paint in the week.

List of things to get through for Bedford GT circuit on the 2nd November:
Brake ducts
Oil service and check over
Geo
Nut and bolt
Splitter
Sump guards
Front arch liners
Bleed brakes
Rear arch liner stud
CG lock
Camera mount

So a few things to do and then I can do the finishing off jobs after the TD. As the calipers are in desperate need of a lick of paint :(

Cheers if you've got this far, essay content! Jon

Sounds like some good little plans Jon. Love the image of this car. Looks so good in those pics.

Cheers Martin :)

Certainly a few bits to be getting on with and somewhere between doing all those jobs I need to finish rubbing down my Cup wheels and respray those so I've got something to drive up to Bedford on!

Nothing much to report this weekend, jut started it yesterday to charge the battery and checked if I can bleed the ABS system with my dads diagnostic equipment (which I can) so saves a few quid on having to buy the fast chip module :)

Next weekend geometry and getting on with the other jobs

Just got the alignment done at Merityre... Handles like it's on rails now :) quick trip through the business park on the way home and the front stayed planted so very happy with how it feels just now.

Here's the printout:
10361438246_984a091239_c.jpg

Alignment 19/10/13 by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

I noticed I've got to hold the steering wheel verrryyyyy slightly (and I mean slight) to the left in order to keep the car straight. If I put the wheel straight it pulls to the left slightly.
Is this because of the rear toes being slightly out?

As far as the settings I chose I dont drive the car everyday and wanted a more fast road/track focused set up. This is the reason for the -1.5 degrees of camber and 0.5 degrees of toe out. I figured this is a good compromise between tyre wear and performance but I may be wrong?

If anyone reads this who knows about alignment can give me their opinion on the printout that would be great. But at the moment it feels good!

Last edited:
So I attempted some fast driving around Bedford Autodrome GT circuit again on Saturday

The little Clio did exceptionally well and even made me look like I knew what I was doing behind the wheel :p the wet conditions just played into the Clio's favour and it managed to hold its own against a lot 'faster on paper' machinery

The upgrades that were made to the inlets and suspension were immediately noticeable on track, with a definite increase in low down grunt from the matched inlets out of the corners. To be honest top end didnt seem any different, but it definitely pulled harder from lower revs so will be interesting to see a RR graph in the new year :)

Sticking with upgrades, the Cooksport springs and complete suspension refresh have transformed the way it handles in the bends both on road and track. However even though it feels hard and stiff on the road, track driving soon makes it feel soft again! But its a good compromise as it isnt a full on track car... yet! So the only thing I can see me doing next year is adjusting geo set up rather than bolting more bits on. Very happy with how it goes now :race:

Pictures!
10697057474_a07ef4c5be_c.jpg

Bedford 2.11.13 by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
10697005755_c338075bc0_c.jpg

10697005805_52b969fcdb_c.jpg

10697005835_4527b3262f_c.jpg

And a video, another to follow.

[youtube]Sfgv5vXScIs[/youtube]

Good to see Martin (v800mjh) again and was good to see mine wasnt left behind on the straights even with his newly acquired ITBs ;)

Seams to go well mate

I've also done some more developments on these heads so i do hope to see yours next year or sooner

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Andy, I'm glad you agree as I won't be changing them now :p I'm watching your project thread with interest as I can't wait to see some updates :D
Ah... I've changed my mind. The colours just don't work and look absolutely s**t... ;) :p Oh, I'll try and get some updates in my thread soon as well!

It's great to see you've been out enjoying the car, Jon. Even more so that you are really enjoying the drive and how it's shaping up. The trackday at Bedford looked fun and the video suggests both car and driver are in good health!

Hehe ;-)

The car certainly does go well.

Shame none of us were properly filming because we would have caught each other having some serious power slides on many occasions!!!

Nice pics too ;)

Seams to go well mate

I've also done some more developments on these heads so i do hope to see yours next year or sooner

Good to hear Andrew, still on the lookout for a Phase 1 head!

Ah... I've changed my mind. The colours just don't work and look absolutely s**t... ;) :p Oh, I'll try and get some updates in my thread soon as well!

It's great to see you've been out enjoying the car, Jon. Even more so that you are really enjoying the drive and how it's shaping up. The trackday at Bedford looked fun and the video suggests both car and driver are in good health!

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your engine bay soon mate! Not long now is it? And cheers Andy I really enjoyed it after all the upgrades, makes it all worthwhile :) looking to do the season opener in Feb as well.

Hehe ;-)

The car certainly does go well.

Shame none of us were properly filming because we would have caught each other having some serious power slides on many occasions!!!

Nice pics too ;)

Some pics courtesy of yourself! And I think it might be time to invest in a Gopro, get it all then!

RB Clio 182
Thats where mistakes are usually made, the next corner after you have over taken someone, too much adrenaline lol.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Looking forward to seeing a picture of your engine bay soon mate! Not long now is it? And cheers Andy I really enjoyed it after all the upgrades, makes it all worthwhile :) looking to do the season opener in Feb as well.
Me too, Jon! LOL! In all seriousness, the finish line is in sight so it shouldn't be too much longer. As for the season opener, I would love to come along and take part... but, alas, I am unable to make that weekend. Hopefully a date later in the year will be more suitable.

Thats where mistakes are usually made, the next corner after you have over taken someone, too much adrenaline lol.

Yes it was rather embarrassing :eek:

Your not the only one as i want one to cut up and ported the life out of it to see where there limits are

If you hear of one let me know!

Me too, Jon! LOL! In all seriousness, the finish line is in sight so it shouldn't be too much longer. As for the season opener, I would love to come along and take part... but, alas, I am unable to make that weekend. Hopefully a date later in the year will be more suitable.

Good to hear it isn't long now, just in time for the lovely British winter ;) that's a shame reference Bedford, would've been good to see the Trophy :(

Quick pictures of the brake ducts I made up for the trackday. Seem to do the trick but I still need to tidy them up and adjust the position of the outlet, think the fluid still got a bit warm but no where near as bad as the first TD...

10732157663_ac79d41479_c.jpg

Brake ducts by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Pipe with adapter fitted

10731957384_024cc65b99_c.jpg

How the pipe sits with the arch liner etc back in place

10731958394_811657257b_c.jpg

Black cone used in the fog light surround. Can just about see the larger black ducting which then goes to the adapter, then the smaller ducting.

Have finally managed to get a half decent Ph1 head with rocker cover :)

So that will be getting sent to Andrew ALD for porting/polishing with the Jenvey manifold it will be matched to when I get that next year some time

Happy that's another big bit ticked off the list for the engine build!

Ps. On a side note the refurb of the Cup alloys was a massive fail. So I'm looking out for new wheels in the form of turinis/O.Z's or will refurb them professionally after winter