ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JonC219's RB182Cup

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yes Olly and a couple of mates are coming as well.
Got a new toy so wanted to at least do the Opener as I might not have a chance to do many track days after that
e7c81d1ed3c6194962973d54f8bd3c77.jpg

Looking forward to seeing yours with the Brembos mate
I was going to pop up to Jamie's whilst yours was in but work got in the way
Cheers for sorting out the thread title as well :smile:

Ooft - lovely bike!

Be good to catch up at Bedford mate. Jamie is doing the Britcar 24hr at Silverstone which I am plannning to head down too to watch. Was going to see about rustling some people from here upto go if you're keen.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes Olly and a couple of mates are coming as well.
Got a new toy so wanted to at least do the Opener as I might not have a chance to do many track days after that
e7c81d1ed3c6194962973d54f8bd3c77.jpg

Looking forward to seeing yours with the Brembos mate
I was going to pop up to Jamie's whilst yours was in but work got in the way
Cheers for sorting out the thread title as well :smile:
Love the fact you've got your bike in the living room mate! Nice bit of kit that.

Yeah that's me! Small world. Yeah Connor was our apprentice
He's got his own apprentice now! Weird how it turns out haha

Another strong update, Jon, keep up the good work, this is a great car!
Cheers Tim. Are you going to the annual Surrey RR day that the other Tim is organising?

Just bought myself an RB 182 so this thread has been great for some inspiration! What colour are your brake calipers (or link to said item)? They look a spot on match!
Glad to hear it mate, I've missed a few updates out cos I get bored of it easy! But hoping to get a few more things done to it this year to turn it more into a fast road/track car as I've had it a fair while now.
Hoping to keep it as a 2nd car and then get a more comfortable daily.

The caliper paint was just Halfords caliper paint believe it or not! In there standard blue colour. My mate had it for his VXR so I nicked it as 1 tin will do loads

Ooft - lovely bike!

Be good to catch up at Bedford mate. Jamie is doing the Britcar 24hr at Silverstone which I am plannning to head down too to watch. Was going to see about rustling some people from here upto go if you're keen.
Cheers bud, certainly sounds well! The Ohlins, the Brembos, the exhaust... I love bling :tongueclosed:

I might be able to do the Saturday so keep me in the loop mate. I'm off to Almeria on the Sunday for 3 days out on the bike so might be busy getting things prepped for that

Love the fact you've got your bike in the living room mate! Nice bit of kit that.
Mother wasn't too happy :wink: but soon piped down when me and the Old Man told her that's where it was staying!

UPDATE

So yesterday I had a bit of fun with the French wiring:coldsweat: and my new Sabelt :smile:

Always wanted to change the standard Cup wheel not just because it looks a bit crap but the melting was getting obscene. On warm days my hands would be black from all the rubber stuff coming off it. Not good.

Last weekend I played around with the electrics so I could get an idea of what to do this weekend (it was successful) so Friday I grabbed the resistors I needed and got to work yesterday!

During:
16410600591_b061925e41.jpg
Wheel by JonC219, on Flickr

Resistor (1 of 3 for cruise):
15792333413_c929a1261d.jpg

And finished!!:
16386397856_7b8a19c52b.jpg

I'll try and get a picture in the day light with the cover off (mechanic by trade so have dirty hands hence the cover)

Basically the bottom buttons are cruise related, the top buttons are mirrored both sides so the yellow is horn, blue is flash lights (I always seem to click high beams on instead of flash so came up with this) and the white is one wipe of the front wipers (as the French don't have that feature on the Clio)
At the moment the flash and wiper isn't wired in as I need to get some of this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400810412201?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
being that they don't go through the steering angle sensor and will need room for the wheel to turn

Will hopefully have something sorted next weekend but for now I'm more than happy with how it turned out. I'll try and get pictures of the back but I will be trying to neaten it up a bit as it's not up to my OCD yet.

Stupidly forgot resistors for the airbag though so will be borrowing someones Clip or taking the wheel off again at some point...

Cheers!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
A very functional update, Jon, I think it's great!!

Have you driven it in anger with the new wheel yet? I bet it feels tiny in your hands, but I'm sure you're used to that already ;)

Cheers Tim I wish I'd done it a lot sooner!
Only put it on yesterday so haven't driven it that much yet, it's definitely a lot more direct. I'm finding I'm turning the wheel too much at the moment so need to get used to it.

Looks excellent Jon, where did you get/how did you make the mounting plates for the buttons?

I originally bought this plate:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131242967566?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

But then my inner tart came out and I wanted more buttons :tongueout:
I had thought about a custom made jobby but ebay browsing came up with this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301389277227?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's expensive but still cheaper than getting a fabrication company to laser cut one out then faff about with anodising

If you're not going to the extent I did with the buttons you can have my smaller unused button plate for £13 delivered? Saves a couple of quid for you then, only had it a month or so and just sat unused!

UPDATE

Nothing much to report over the weekend. Pretty much got everything I need for the service now. Got most of the bits from ECP but got the air filter from Renault. Also ordered a radio stalk blank so will get that picked up next weekend.

Got the tracking done...
16451428676_12aa21f07d.jpg
Geo by JonC219, on Flickr
Only toes adjusted this time around. I know the guys well so I can put it on the machine for nothing so will change to the track wheels and get a shim on that left rear to even up the camber. Then get the camber on the front matched up to 1.5 degrees neg and double check the rear once it's all back together.

Waiting impatiently for my PMS RARB from the group buy at the moment so hopefully that will be soon if everyone rings up :wink:
And picked up some white spray grease from good old Halfords to spray up the Powerflex bushes as they're starting to creak a little

Til next time...

Yours is very similar to mine Jon. My camber on the OSR is more than the NSR, same with the toe. I need to find a 1.5mm shim for mine to correct the toe and a 3mm shim to correct the camber.

Yours is very similar to mine Jon. My camber on the OSR is more than the NSR, same with the toe. I need to find a 1.5mm shim for mine to correct the toe and a 3mm shim to correct the camber.
I'm getting a shim from PMS when they send my RARB so hoping to get it all on at the same time then will double check everything on the machine again

So today I took this
ec7267c7a01a8eb2eb5980558e34ecce.jpg

Added this
2d2cce52b37e95711fa06c94b10f3e25.jpg

To get this!
fa0e25147b8d59046cadc99e30cf0eee.jpg

It's the little things :)

UPDATE

Did a bit of pre-Bedford prep this week:spanner:

First up was a full service, which was a perfect opportunity for the ARP bolts to go in:nut:
16654356662_8316c810bb.jpg
ARP Bolts by JonC219, on Flickr

Replaced the sump plug for a gold plug from Opie, can't hurt for a bit of extra security
16653984751_0f67873a44.jpg
Gold Plug by JonC219, on Flickr
It has a shallow hex so perfect for the Clio sumps:up:

Genuine Renault air filter chucked in to replace the POS Crossland that was put in temporarily:down:
16035494603_f4eeb60a9c.jpg
Reno OEM Air Filter by JonC219, on Flickr

I also rigged up my new camera into the home made camera mount
16654355382_7e9b181056.jpg
Camera Mount by JonC219, on Flickr
I've kept the iphone holder on there so I can get some front and back shots at the same time should I wish:cool:

After a general check over I could get on to fitting the good stuff :tongueclosed:
Went for the 19mm PMS RARB in the group buy and also got a half degree shim for the rear to even up the camber left and right
16467808208_f6fe4297eb.jpg
PMS RARB by JonC219, on Flickr
16467992340_cb6e444962.jpg
Half degree PMS Shim by JonC219, on Flickr

The hardware looked absolutely brilliant. I love a bit of machined bling :tonguewink:
16629446956_c06cfc7a80.jpg
PMS RARB by JonC219, on Flickr

Encountered a couple of stubborn bolts but nothing a bit of penetrating fluid and brute force couldn't solve. After an hour or so had both the shim and RARB in place, set to soft for now
16653992101_007029b546.jpg
PMS RARB Fitted
by JonC219, on Flickr

Took it out straight after :stig:
I'll just copy and paste this from earlier...

Initial thoughts from a few roundabouts/corners tonight
Change of direction has improved. The front end feels a lot more 'pointy'. Seems less hesitation for it to turn now
Tighter corners/roundabouts feel slightly improved, the front end feels a bit more planted. Can chuck it in with a lot more force
The long high speed sweepers are where I can notice the biggest change. No hint of understeer at all, can keep the power on and everything stays in check

So I'm very happy with it. Everything about the car just feels solid now. It's actually improved the normal driving feel, back end felt a bit twitchy before now it's fine

As the name suggests, body roll has also been reduced quite dramatically
The Clio almost seemed to lurch round corners and you could feel a definite roll to the chassis.
Now I stay a lot more in the seat (standard cup garden chair) rather than reaching for my passenger door handle

I also managed to blag a short aerial from my mates Clio before he sold it. Its like the standard aerial just half the size so hopefully I'll get some radio signal now the really short one is off

Looking forward to giving it death Saturday now, see you there! :car::stig::smirk:

Clio 182 - RB
I'm getting a shim from PMS when they send my RARB so hoping to get it all on at the same time then will double check everything on the machine again

So today I took this
ec7267c7a01a8eb2eb5980558e34ecce.jpg

Added this
2d2cce52b37e95711fa06c94b10f3e25.jpg

To get this!
fa0e25147b8d59046cadc99e30cf0eee.jpg

It's the little things :)
Really is a nice touch! [emoji2]

UPDATE:

Bit late on the update after Bedford.

It was a shame that @Martin. had gearbox issues after everything he's been through lately. Never had a chance to really jump in other peoples cars either as was too busy having fun in mine!:car:

A few pictures I found on Dan Jenks FlickR (sorry not sure on your user name) so thanks for taking those :smile:

16077128553_87ea16296f_z.jpg
Bedford Autodrome SEN Track day 28th Feb 2015 by JonC219, on Flickr
16510953419_2f7aeb7f70_z.jpg
16671145166_4ec183ce23_z.jpg
16695777631_cbf6131d79_z.jpg
16074771414_8fb7ac3d4c_z.jpg
16077129373_ffeb064481_z.jpg
16697084975_46ebf2368b_z.jpg
16509498908_dcfa8686f1_z.jpg
16077129993_8f14439530_z.jpg

I was seriously impressed with the Clio all day. I gave it death through every gear change, don't think I didn't see at least 7K all day so was really testing the ARP's and the 7500rpm limiter

The PMS RARB worked well, almost a little to well in the damp morning sessions. Was a bit oversteery but great fun playing with the back end into the corners. Swapped it to medium at lunch time but really should have gone full hard. Tyre pressures made a big difference I found to the way it worked. Will probably try more like 30/32 F/R hot next time to get the back end moving more.
Tried a lot of trail braking into corners this time which seemed to help a lot

My aim was to beat a 2 minute lap after watching various videos online. I managed a couple of 1:57's, a 1:58 and a 1:59 with the rest just over the 2 min mark. Not bad for a daily!

Here's a video from the day. You'll have to excuse my friend and I chatting absolute poo throughout most of it. Got another video with Im struggling to upload at the mo but will get it sorted asap
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately I had to take it easy from about 3pm onwards as I noticed the brake pads! They'd done well all day and I feel I'm happy with the performance. Just the Brembo Max discs have now eaten the M1155 pads!:weary:

16808824971_a94c8b4b39_z.jpg
182 by JonC219, on Flickr
16187587594_10111cd2e4_z.jpg

They got baked...
16622557950_3337e2d9f8_z.jpg

Quick clean with the dremel and a set of standard cheapo Pagid pads chucked in
16808827772_8328365f6e_z.jpg

Even though I was happy with the M1155 I might upgrade to the M1166 for next time. Can't beat the cost IMO but I am in talks with George @George@RTR_Parts with the possibility of DS1.11 pads but we shall see

Next track day will hopefully be Brands evening on May 21st if I can find some spare cash (Clio+track bike+Snap on tools get expensive). In the mean time I want to buy some AD08R's for the Cup Turini's and get them on.

Plans for the rest of the year:
Tidy up steering wheel wiring and wire in flash and wiper buttons
Make alternator rain cover out of flexi plastic
Blue LED conversion
Flocked dash with custom gauge pod
Few bits of paint/dents need attention then full correction detail with nano coating
Stud and nut conversion
Spacers for Cup Turinis

Thanks for reading!:up:

Looking good Jon.

The DS1.11 are getting more popular mate, @richjwilliams is running them in his Trophy

Cheers mate.

If all goes to plan I'll be doing a Brands evening session May 21st so will get something organised for then :)

I forgot to check out your new ARB!!

You did!! Although you can be forgiven as you had a few other things on your mind like getting home haha

Next time mate, how's things looking with yours now? What's been happening?

This car just keeps on giving! Love it.

Cheers Tim, hope yours is still healthy and well :)