ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just discover i have been driving with no air filter!!

Renault clio rs 200
So just out of interest i thought i would check what air filter my car has,
Imagine how F****D off i was to discover its not got one at all!!!
Only bought the thing on friday from evans halshaw.
All i can think is that the previous owner traded it in and removed the aftermarket panel filter.
Failing that i cant see any other reason for it not being there!!
Safe to say that that someone at evans halshaw is going to be getting a sore ear in the morning!!

What would you guys and gals do?

RB Clio 182
Mmmm very strange, do they say they do all the health checks etc too?

Someone obviously couldnt be arsed to open the airbox!

I would go mad tbh, just imagine how much s**t your engine has sucked through it, i bet your cylinders are scored to f**k and your intake valves are probably clogged with dust.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
What's the cost of a new filter, like £10.

Buy a new filter and get on with your life!

Or set the car on fire and push it through there showroom window.

Fcuking cnuts. [emoji23]
I would be livid. I wouldn't be buying a new filter and 'getting on with it'

As said above, the amount of time that car has been driven without a filter is unknown. God knows how much shite it's sucked in

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thinking about this again the car should have been checked over or serviced before sale so it's pretty bad that they didn't spot it was missing.

Or maybe they forgot to fit a new one because it was checked by a 16 year old school kid.

Ask for a full refund and start looking for another car.
I would do this. Could've done thousands of miles without one. You buy from a dealer to protect you from this sort s**t. Get a full refund as your legally entitled now by law. You don't have to give them reasonable time to put anything right anymore. Money back and buy a well looked after one of here. If you keep it and it goes pop in a years time you'll be kicking yourself.

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
I've worked in dealers for years, cars only get the service they're due. And sometimes that's a struggle to get out of sales! They'll try skimp on filters and plugs and will try their hardest to only pay out for an oil and filter change. Also, no used car prep sheet I've seen says to remove the airbox and check there is a filter present.

I've worked in dealers for years, cars only get the service they're due. And sometimes that's a struggle to get out of sales! They'll try skimp on filters and plugs and will try their hardest to only pay out for an oil and filter change. Also, no used car prep sheet I've seen says to remove the airbox and check there is a filter present.
True

RB Clio 182
To me it's crazy to let a car go without checking the absolute basics if you have a reputation to uphold!! To sell a car with no airfilter is shocking, absolutely no excuse for that I'm afraid!!!

Here here, thats just damn right lazy as f**k, people are spending thousands with them and they dont even check the condition of the air filter?

No excuse its f**king poor, and will rightly so no doubt effect their reputaion if word comes about.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How much s**t in left in the airbox?
Cos everytime I come to change an airfilter there's half a f**king forest sat inside the airbox.

If there's nothing inside there's a chance all that rubbish had gone through the engine.

Also, no used car prep sheet I've seen says to remove the airbox and check there is a filter present.

The customer doesn't give two s***s what is written on the service sheet, if the car is sold as having had a full service you'd expect it to at least come with an air filter installed.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I've had no end of issues with Evans Halshaw Sheffield, they have done me out of hundreds on warranty work on a car that was in warranty. I'd just get your money back and stay away from the Company, when it comes to complaints they just don't want to know and will come out with all sorts of sh*t to palm you off. If it did go wrong later down the line, i'd have zero confidence they would lift a finger to help you out, get out while you can.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Evans Halshaw Peterborough are just as bad. Couldn't even pick up the phone to let me know the car wasn't ready on the day it was due to be collected. Five days running! Only found out when I arrived at the dealer to collect it because no one would answer the phone. This was on a car that I'd just bought. Should of walked away then and there.

Two visits to sort out tracking. Two visits to fix a DPF fault when I'd told them the fault. All within less than a month of buying the vehicle.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I went to look at a Lotus Elise at a dealer once and it didn't even have an airbox - the throttle body was just open to the air in the engine bay!

mk1 Octavia VRS
Lol, did you ask them where the filter was?
I did tell the sales guy yes. He was pretty clueless - he couldn't find the lever to open the engine lid!
I drive past the dealer every day and it was for sale for quite a while and they reduced the price by quite a lot. Probably got punted on in the trade in the end.

Paddy80

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 275 Cup-S
Evans Halshaw are a joke, heard so many horror stories about them. Mate at work bought a used car that had been "fully serviced" but turned out it had next to no oil in it!!!
As much as ball ache it will be, definitely get your money back and be patient to find example preferably with an air filter. Good luck man.

Renault clio rs 200
Had the bore scope in there today, no sign of any damage muck or debris, valves and seats look fine too.
It's just had the gearbox refurbished so I would imagine it was removed then.
Still not sure what to do with it but I do feel much better now I have seen the insides.
Don't get me wrong I'm still pretty miffed.

Paddy80

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 275 Cup-S
I suspect you have already become attached to it which makes it very hard to make the right decision on what to do, probably took about 2 seconds for me to become attched to mine! It might turn out to be ok but could also turn into a nightmare. They don't deserve your custom and guaranteed they won't give a shite if it does go wrong!

Renault clio rs 200
I suspect you have already become attached to it which makes it very hard to make the right decision on what to do, probably took about 2 seconds for me to become attched to mine! It might turn out to be ok but could also turn into a nightmare. They don't deserve your custom and guaranteed they won't give a shite if it does go wrong!
Yep totally get that, daft thing is I've been a vehicle technician for 10 years or so and I would have told anyone else to take it straight back.
I find having some knowledge and knowing what to look for settles my mind about it but doesn't excuse what happened.
I have satisfied my mind for now about dirt ingress, everything looked fine from the inlet pipe all the way to the valves, seats and cylinders. Everything looked healthy and as it should. Could even see the original honing marks.
Will look again in a week after a few hundred miles.

Paddy80

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 275 Cup-S
Hope it turns out ok. Sounds like you've had a good look inside so fingers crossed.
Get some Michelin PS4's next time you need fresh rubber, they're sublime!

Renault clio rs 200
Hope it turns out ok. Sounds like you've had a good look inside so fingers crossed.
Get some Michelin PS4's next time you need fresh rubber, they're sublime!
deffo need some tyres, going to run these crap budgets off first.

Clio 4 RS cup
What's the cost of a new filter, like £10.

Buy a new filter and get on with your life!

Or set the car on fire and push it through there showroom window.

Fcuking cnuts. [emoji23]
Why should he pay for it? Too many dealers are rubbish.
Lookers Renault serviced my Clio did not check anything under the bonnet (service plan and not enough miles for oil change) oil, coolant and brake fluid ALL low.
Then they did a WINTER check in January washer fluid ran out 24 hours later. Complained, they filled up and I went to France 80MPH on motorway used washer and screen covered in Ice
they filled with tap water in January !!!!
If people don't complain they service just goes downhill.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Never understand that comment ref running s**t tyres until they wear out
Depends how quickly you wear them out.

image.jpeg

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
If the car is returned they'll just slap a new filter in there and sell it again. Some poor bugger will end up with this car and be none the wiser :rage:

Renault clio rs 200
If the car is returned they'll just slap a new filter in there and sell it again. Some poor bugger will end up with this car and be none the wiser :rage:
Checked it, kept it. No damage has been done other that the damage to my trust in dealerships and the retards who work in them, barring the handful of good techies out there. Oh and my fingers after writing furious letters and emails!.
But yeah your right, had I seen damage on the inlet, valves or cylinder walls the car would have gone straight back and most probably sold on to someone else who had no idea.
I would have done my best to make a future buyer aware though, messages plastered all around the car, permanent marker all over the service book saying driven with no air filter and engine damaged.
Wouldn't have been worth a toss without the history.
But as I say I'm satisfied no damage has been done so it's here to stay.

Thanks for all your support and advice on this matter