ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just test drove a 172 cup!

saxo vtr
iv been looking at getting a clio cup for a few wks, i love the look of the blue, anyway saw one at a garage near me for £3795, its a 52 reg, done 49k. had a look round and i couldnt see a mark on it. then i test drove it! i only have a VTR at the moment and as soon as i put my foot down in the cup i said holy f**k!!the acceleration is unreal, but the thing that impressed me the most was the brakes! maybe its because i havent driven a car with ABS before but the brakes on the clup were phenominal! just waiting for the finance to be sorted and hopeully the beast will be mine!

Golf R soon...
Thats a good price from a dealer especially if its good condition. Just make sure its had the cam and acc belts changed recently other wise that will cost you a fair few hundred to get done.

Other wise ENJOY!

Golf R soon...
Cups definitely DON'T come with ABS, mate has one and he always moans he doesn't have it! lol

saxo vtr
hmm strange i will have to ask the dealer about it. but either way i thought the brakes were unreal!i was driving it in the rain!

Your not looking at the one at Arnold Shark in Dundee by any chance?

Chuckled when i saw the big ABS sticker in the window.

Golf R soon...
Stupid question but it was definitely a cup?

Did it have silver 16" turini wheels? Did it have cloth seats?

Was the blue called "mondial blue"?

saxo vtr
yup it definately was, it had cup written on the side of it aswell, and had the turini multispoked alloys. and the salesman was telling me how it was firmer suspension compared to the standard clio sport. so im 100% sure it was a cup!

saxo vtr
yeah i thought it was pretty cheap. it as a fiat garage, the fool traded it in for a new punto! iv been watching it on autotrader for the last few wks, it start off at £4999, and slowly gone down to £3795. i will get my finance company to hpi it, but hopefully the garage is just desperate to sell it

mine was advertised by a dealer as having ABS; i think some just don't realise it doesn't have it. gone off the brakes in mine (and especially after a brief track outing yesterday) - defo need looking at for half serious driving

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
I bought a 172 cup yesterday mate it's ace and the brakes are really good untill you brake hard in the rain. Yoy will love it coming from a vtr! i sold my civic type r last month and have no regret now i have the cup.

You just have to be really carefull with the braking in the wet, i can catch you out if your not used to having no abs like me!

Kev.

vw bora
just brought me a cup yesterday defo no abs drove it in the wet today and its a bit skittish but is easily controlled it is a hell of alot better to drive than the normal one and quicker aswell as a 172 owner found out yesterday on the essigton road :approve: just make sure it has service history and the belts have been changed then your good to go mate

nah the one i looked at was at norris brothers in tamworth

I viewed this last week m8, have good look around it theres loads of faults:dapprove: disks need changing the drivers fount ends been in a bump bonnet is out of line, theres lots of scratches dents and last but not least the exhaust is held on with foil.lol. hence the price although i would not pay anymore than just over £3k for it as it seems its been not looked after

saxo vtr
hmm i didnt really see many problems with it when i looked at it? saying that i was in the rain and was rushing a bit, mainly jsut wanted to drive it as iv never driven one before. Im going back maybe tomorrow to have a good look around it, thanks for the heads up anyway mate

EP3 Civic Type R
Yep definitely no ABS LOL! ABS is for poofs ;)

Yeh try saying that in the rain u muppet
cup have the most awful braking going

Do they? I've driven in some absolutely awesome Northern weather and not once have I had any problems with the Cup's brakes. Infact, they are better than many of the cars I've driven, both equivalent and more expensive.

What a completely crap and untrue statement. Winner.

Btw... ABS isn't even for girls... ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seems a good buy but the autotrader ad says 6 owners...... :S

nah the one i looked at was at norris brothers in tamworth

I viewed this last week m8, have good look around it theres loads of faults:dapprove: disks need changing the drivers fount ends been in a bump bonnet is out of line, theres lots of scratches dents and last but not least the exhaust is held on with foil.lol. hence the price although i would not pay anymore than just over £3k for it as it seems its been not looked after

Doesn't sound too good on the face of it. The 6 previous owners would bother me in all honesty - did some of them (or all of them?) know something about the car that's a disaster waiting to happen?

It could be a great car - I shouldn't be so dismissive of it. But the above comments (coupled with the low price) - I would have my suspicions....

D.

saxo vtr
yeah thats what i was thinking about the 6 owners, but as it was local and id never driven one i thought i would go and have a play with it!is there any particual common faults that i may be able to pick up while driving it? i only drove it for 10 minutes as the garage was closing, but im going to be going back within the next few days and have a proper look roudn and a longer test drive

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
yeah thats what i was thinking about the 6 owners, but as it was local and id never driven one i thought i would go and have a play with it!is there any particual common faults that i may be able to pick up while driving it? i only drove it for 10 minutes as the garage was closing, but im going to be going back within the next few days and have a proper look roudn and a longer test drive

Fairplay m8 - nothing wrong with having a drive of something that catches your eye!

Some slight knocking on acceleration seems a very common problem with the engine mounts. Also, a lot of 1*2's have had knocking from the steering when on full lock. Mine did that in a few months of having it from new. The local Renault dealership had it for an afternoon and they sorted it.

I think you can do the diagnosis check on the 172 Cups as well? On the 182's, put the key in the ignition and hold down the button at the end of the stalk that cycles through the mpgs/mileage/etc. With that button still held down, just turn the ignition key one notch, iirc? The dials should start going ape and the constant 'ding ding' noise should be heard - just like if you'd left the lights on when opening the door.

If any codes appear on the display, they do mean specific things. Would be worth taking note of those and asking back on here. As I said, you can do this on the 182, but I've never tried it on a 172 Cup - but I assume its the same?

D.

jamescolli

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one mate sounds like it could be a good buy
but personally i would be having a private mechanic giving it a good going over to check before i part with any cash

saxo vtr
cool cheers for that darren, will give it a try when i next go and have a good look around it. maybe it was jsut because i have bene used to my VTR that the brakes felt really good!

hmm i didnt really see many problems with it when i looked at it? saying that i was in the rain and was rushing a bit, mainly jsut wanted to drive it as iv never driven one before. Im going back maybe tomorrow to have a good look around it, thanks for the heads up anyway mate

No probs m8, let us no how it goes;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
all you people moaning about the brakes being terrible if your not talking about the lack of ABS then maby you should get a fluid change!! its due every 2 years iirc anyway!

Ph1
yeh defos no ABS,got a cup myself and no ABS,think the brakes on them are the worst part about the car.

Nothing wrong with the brakes. Infact, their very good and certainly not a priority to upgrade unless your doing track days so you must have something wrong