ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just test drove a 182 Trophy...Renault Burnley

255 V6 Black Gold
HCX was last bit of the reg, not sure if its anyones from here.

Either way my thoughts.

test drove it at 9:30

16500 miles, 2 owners, it was up for £10,995

It was in mint condition, did the usual checks and everything was ok, body work etc, engine seemed spanking.

Took it out for about 20 mins. Overall, nice car, it feels a lot stiffer than my cup, probably because of the suspension set up but i think also the age thing may come into it (mine feels looser - if that makes sense)

However performance wise it didnt really grab me. My cup has been remapped by Paul off here and the limiter raised to 7200. So when booting the trophy it was not a suprise to me that it just didnt seem as fast.

It has a years warrenty left on it. Granted i could buy it, de cat it like my cup, remap it like my cup and i suspect it will be faster (as the standards are on paper) but i am going to loose the warrenty if i do.

So overall, loved the car, if it was as fast as my cup or felt as beasty as my cup i would have snapped it up. but £5000 plus my car for what was little more than the recaros, A/c, and cruise control i didnt think deserved it.

Really want a v6......but have never test drove one.

Last edited:
  172 cup (again)
Hi Mate

Ive just gone from a mk1 vee to a trophy, I also own a cup.
Your right about the trophy feeling stiffer and slightly slower, my cup only has a decat and prospeed exhaust with a panel filter but in a straight line it is slightly quicker but driving on a good a road, the trophy instills more confidence than the cup and its comfier to drive.

The V6 was not that much faster than my cup, the handling was not as bad as people make out and i only got rid of it due to the 23mpg. I loved the car but im happy with the trophy, its more practical, comfier and less expensive to run.

I had the V6 for 6 months and that was enough for me, had the itch and scratched it!

Hope this helps

By the way, i part ex'd my V6 at Arnold Clark Renault in Warrington, they have it up for 14k odd at the mo. 2 owners, FRSh, 23k, RAC warranty and a prospeed backbox

255 V6 Black Gold
Leeshez - yeah it was a 55 plate, not sure if kitchens sold it originally, they said the last guy swaps his cars for fun, so not sure if he is a true renny sport person or if he just bought it for the fun of it and got rid

rja, cheers for that! some sound advice. I do want a ph2 V6 though if i get one.

I have done all the insurance things and everything and its only £250 a year extra on my policy! so bargin really. I am going to have to do some real work on picking one up...

S1RST/205GTI
Mick, I have been told by a reliable source not to buy this one,as the previous owner abused it.How loud was the exhaust as i noticed it was an aftermarket one?

255 V6 Black Gold
haha good job i didnt really like it speed wise.

urmmm loud wise i was only in my head comparing it to my cup, which has de cat, remap and powerflow. so it werent as a loud as that. plus i have never heard (from a drivers seat point of view) what a normal 182 exhaust sounds like.... so i couldnt really comment.

ha so that last guy ragged it about did he! well i was only test driving it to see if it was what i had read about it, which it was, handled good etc, it just didnt feel as fast as my modded cup.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I think Trophys are over priced. Just get a 182 for 7k and put coil overs on it.. there i said it. I cant see what your getting for the extre premimum you pay. I dont think they will handle much better than a cup'd 182.

clio 182 black /gold
There was a trophy at Kitchens, the owner had just bought it and drove out of the showroom and somone hit the rear of hit. Thats what i heard when i was on my regular vist to there aftersales service area LOL.

255 V6 Black Gold
haha mental!!

glad i didnt buy, been looking at some vee's, theres a few on pistonheads £17k

weeeeel tempted i tell ya!

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
I was out in Bayliss's Mk2 V6 this week and its deffo faster than and 1*2. Keeps going well past 120 with no loss of pull. Handling wasn't bad either, they do skid if you push hard but seem to be easy to control and the brakes are fab.

Feel really different to a normal reno sport and attract a lot of attention

255 V6 Black Gold
thats what i mean, regardless of what people say on the net, in your head the buzz of everyone looking at you in a v6 would put a huge smile on your face!

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
I think Trophys are over priced. Just get a 182 for 7k and put coil overs on it.. there i said it. I cant see what your getting for the extre premimum you pay. I dont think they will handle much better than a cup'd 182.

Are you serious? either you are deranged or have not had enough experience in a variety of cars yet.... do you really think £10k is too much for a car that can show a 911 it's coat tails on a b-road?

Plus, yeh, pay £7k for a 182 cup, still coil-overs on it, paying what for them?... then come to sell it in say 2/3/4 years... you'll get maybe 3k back or you could buy a Trophy at £10k with about as good a suspension set-up as any sub £70k car has and sell it in 2/3/4 years and get maybe 6/7k back..... hmmn, did you study economics as well as automotive engineering?

S1RST/205GTI

Are you serious? either you are deranged or have not had enough experience in a variety of cars yet.... do you really think £10k is too much for a car that can show a 911 it's coat tails on a b-road?

Plus, yeh, pay £7k for a 182 cup, still coil-overs on it, paying what for them?... then come to sell it in say 2/3/4 years... you'll get maybe 3k back or you could buy a Trophy at £10k with about as good a suspension set-up as any sub £70k car has and sell it in 2/3/4 years and get maybe 6/7k back..... hmmn, did you study economics as well as automotive engineering?
Thats if trophy's hold their value like you think they will.Never seen a 172 for under £3500

A good example of a Williams will cost the same as a 172 these days...

Trophies have held value more than the 182 FACT!

S1RST/205GTI
Trophy's will hold value more but to say a 182 "maybe worth £3k in 2/3/4 years and a trophy double???????? no one knows

Last edited:
  57 Ibiza Formula Sport
burnley renault is a joke, the salesmen don't know what cup packs mean for a start...

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have driven both a 182 with Coilovers and as you may guess own a Trophy.

I would never sell the Trophy for a 182 with coilovers, it just isnt the same. You really need to take it on a stretch of road you know like the back of you hand and give it some. You will and I will give you money, get out of the car with a smile on your face.

Granted a coiled 182 will handle better on track but the Trophy is spot on for a B road blast.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i wouldnt have minded a trophy but the sheer fact it didnt have xenons was the put off for me :(

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
You only had it for 20 minutes, was it warmed up properly? They should rev to 7200 and if you couldn't then the oil wasn't up to temp, and the ECU was imposing a lowered rev limit. AFAIK the ECU also restricts the power output of the engine until properly warmed up. I don't know if the 172 is the same?

cup 182 mit stripes
What's so great about xenons? They weigh too much and go wrong.

Young eyes like yours dont need them, Anni.

Last edited:
  Now: 350Z; Before: Trophy

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, will you? It would be a shame and really spoil the plot.

I just can't wait to replace the Trophy with a 182 on coils. What was I thinking investing in Speedline Corse wheels, Recaro seats, remote reservoir adjustable suspension, a weight saving philosophy, and the knowledge of relatively rock solid residuals?

I'm so glad you've advised me of the better alternative. And to think that all this time it was just the suspension which was not even as good as coil-overs! Thank-you for showing me the light. I'll go out tomorrow and replace the Trophy with a 182 on coils. I can't wait!

O.

S1RST/205GTI
Must admit a Trophy is more desirable(but not as good colour as mine:rasp: ),as for rocksolid residuals-not in some Renault Dealers.My local Renault dealer has the Trophy mentioned in this thread for sale 55 reg,16.5k miles £10995 and has a Arctic Blue 05 182FF cup packs,17k miles £10495.

Must admit a Trophy is more desirable(but not as good colour as mine:rasp: ),as for rocksolid residuals-not in some Renault Dealers.My local Renault dealer has the Trophy mentioned in this thread for sale 55 reg,16.5k miles £10995 and has a Arctic Blue 05 182FF cup packs,17k miles £10495.

Which kind of proves my point. The Trophy has obviously drummed up more interest as there is a thread here about it. There isn't a thread about the 182FF though, is there? I'd also bet my bottom dollar that the, more expensive, Trophy will sell before the 182FF, despite the FF having more standard equipment and being cheaper.

They were both the same price new, but the Trophy is now always worth more vis-a-vis. That's enough proof for me that it is keeping its value. A 182FF with exactly the same mileage / year / condition will always be priced cheaper than a Trophy, even though they were the same price new. It is also worth noting that many bought their Trophys for much less than the RRP. I know if someone who paid £11.5k for theirs brand new and sold it two years later for £10.5k with 15k miles. That's a reduction of 8.7%. The proof is in the numbers.

It is an objective fact-based argument that can be quantifiably justified. I know where I'd put my money (and have).

It will be anoter story if Renault release a 197 Trophy... now that would be interesting!

O.

S1RST/205GTI
Yes,but the thread states that the Trophy wasnt worth upgrading from a 172 cup(in Micks opinion)for the extra money.
I may well have to go and test drive a Trophy this weekend to see the difference between it and mine.:)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
If all your going to get is a 20 min 'test' i would not bother.

After all i bet 'he' did not get the best out of his cup until used to it so how can you compare the two??

So as always on here we have another thread of 'lets talk b****cks'.

Nippy white cup

Which kind of proves my point. The Trophy has obviously drummed up more interest as there is a thread here about it. There isn't a thread about the 182FF though, is there? I'd also bet my bottom dollar that the, more expensive, Trophy will sell before the 182FF, despite the FF having more standard equipment and being cheaper.

They were both the same price new, but the Trophy is now always worth more vis-a-vis. That's enough proof for me that it is keeping its value. A 182FF with exactly the same mileage / year / condition will always be priced cheaper than a Trophy, even though they were the same price new. It is also worth noting that many bought their Trophys for much less than the RRP. I know if someone who paid £11.5k for theirs brand new and sold it two years later for £10.5k with 15k miles. That's a reduction of 8.7%. The proof is in the numbers.

It is an objective fact-based argument that can be quantifiably justified. I know where I'd put my money (and have).

It will be anoter story if Renault release a 197 Trophy... now that would be interesting!

O.

There is no topics about any 182? Are you having a laugh? Don't get me wrong as I love the Trophy and if I was in a postion to buy then I would have one in a second but don't get to thinking that there is only one kind of 1*2 out there! lol

Chris

O.

There is no topics about any 182? Are you having a laugh? Don't get me wrong as I love the Trophy and if I was in a postion to buy then I would have one in a second but don't get to thinking that there is only one kind of 1*2 out there! lol

Chris

What I mean is that there are two 182s on this particular dealer's lot - a FF and a Trophy. There is a thread here about that very particular Trophy, but not the FF. My point was that, yes, they are similar in price but the Trophy is bound to sell first. The fact that there is a thread about it proves the point that it is more interesting. It is more likely the Trophy will take the limelight, and this links to its values and overall desirability.

I was backing up the argument that, yes, they are similarly priced but the more expensive Trophy with less standard specification will likely sell first as it is likely to generate more interest than the FF.

O.

Yes,but the thread states that the Trophy wasnt worth upgrading from a 172 cup(in Micks opinion)for the extra money.

It's very simple: you can either afford it or you can't. If someone has £12k to spend on a car I doubt they'd take a 172 over a Trophy. It is only because they can't comfortably afford the Trophy (as in having spare cash to buy and run it) that a justification is made to have a 172. At the end of the day there is not much to suggest a 172 cup is better than a Trophy. It is only a perception of money. If you can afford a Trophy you'd buy it over a 172. If you can't then you'd say that the Trophy isn't worth the extra money (i.e. you don't have the extra spare cash to spend, and if you did you can see it going to better things, i.e. you don't have a comfortable £12k just for a used car).

It's like saying that a 996 C2 is almost as good as a 996 C4S and the C4S isn't worth the extra £10k for a wide body, better brakes and 4WD. But if you've got the £10k spare you're going to buy the better car, aren't you? If on the other hand you have the £10k but it is a toss up to put down a deposit on a house versus no house and a C4S, well, then the C4S isn't worth the extra £10k. But if you can afford it you just buy the better car (C4S) and be done with it!

The argument can be applied to almost any more expensive model in the range, but those that can afford it buy the best. Evo 260? Yes if you can't afford a 340. BMW 325? Yes if you can't afford a 335. It is always the same - you can either afford the more expensive car or you just end up making a case for why it is 'not worth the extra'. Well, someone is going to buy it, becuase they can.

Sorry, it may look like I'm on a mission here... I don't want to come across as being a mean grumpy sod!!! :quiet::lolup: :evil: ;)

O.

Last edited:
  182 Trophy
Fact - Clio 182 Trophy was the last of the old shape on the market and is best 182 to buy as a drivers car. F*ck Xeons rear benches and the other Shi*te you get in a FF who uses it or looks at it if they buy a 182 for what it is.

S1RST/205GTI
Calm down Trophy owners this was not a personal attack on the Trophy,as for you can either afford it or you cant the person who started the thread is looking at v6's so i think he can afford one.

Lotus Elise 111R

It's very simple: you can either afford it or you can't. If someone has £12k to spend on a car I doubt they'd take a 172 over a Trophy. It is only because they can't comfortably afford the Trophy (as in having spare cash to buy and run it) that a justification is made to have a 172. At the end of the day there is not much to suggest a 172 cup is better than a Trophy. It is only a perception of money. If you can afford a Trophy you'd buy it over a 172. If you can't then you'd say that the Trophy isn't worth the extra money (i.e. you don't have the extra spare cash to spend, and if you did you can see it going to better things, i.e. you don't have a comfortable £12k just for a used car).

It's like saying that a 996 C2 is almost as good as a 996 C4S and the C4S isn't worth the extra £10k for a wide body, better brakes and 4WD. But if you've got the £10k spare you're going to buy the better car, aren't you? If on the other hand you have the £10k but it is a toss up to put down a deposit on a house versus no house and a C4S, well, then the C4S isn't worth the extra £10k. But if you can afford it you just buy the better car (C4S) and be done with it!

The argument can be applied to almost any more expensive model in the range, but those that can afford it buy the best. Evo 260? Yes if you can't afford a 340. BMW 325? Yes if you can't afford a 335. It is always the same - you can either afford the more expensive car or you just end up making a case for why it is 'not worth the extra'. Well, someone is going to buy it, becuase they can.

Sorry, it may look like I'm on a mission here... I don't want to come across as being a mean grumpy sod!!! :quiet::lolup: :evil: ;)

O.

I totally agree with all of that. If you have, or are prepared to pay the extra from 1*2 to Trophy you most likely would, apart from one point....the colour, some like it some don't.

For me personally, I did have the money and the choice, but chose the cheaper car and some off the mortgage, as I prefer the Monaco Blue over the caspian red. I totally understand the car, and would not slate it, because as g40steve said, 20 minutes is not enough to fully test the car, and that is what I had. Choices....without them life would be boring!