ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K&N high-performance oil filter

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
I want to buy some new oil filters to keep in stock and came across these for the same price as the original renault ones.
These seem to be commly used on the japanese cars but specs wise it might fit on our cars as well.
So im thinking what the hell might get these instead :cool:

But just to be sure i want your opinions before i buy them.
From what i can see there is more than enough space to accompany the slightly higher filter but that can be deceiving :eek:.

HP-1004.jpg

Specs of both :

K&N type :

HP-1004 vs Standard renault filter

Outer diameter: 79mm vs 78mm
Height : 81mm vs 53mm
Threads : M20x1.5 (6H ?) vs M20x1.5

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
stick to standard

Thanks for the quick opinion Fred, but whats the reason that renault made them rather small in height in the first place ?
There is clearly enough space to get a bit heigher/bigger filter in there (higher/bigger usually means higher flow rates).

K&N "sales arguments" on this filter :

url -> http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=hp-1004

Originally developed for demanding race applications, K&N's Premium Wrench-Off Oil Filter has become a favorite among consumers for its durability and easy removal. Most of our automotive and marine oil filters come with a 1” nut welded to the top of the canister so they can be easily wrenched-off with a standard tool. To satisfy the demands of racers, our oil filter has many features over and above the requirements of most vehicles. We use thicker canister walls for extra strength and durability which reduces the risk of damage from loose rocks and debris. The drilled hole on the nut provides for safety wire attachment. Our oil filters also use a resin impregnated cellulose filter media. This allows for higher flow rates while providing outstanding filtration.

Last edited: