ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K20 powered 172

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Yeah it’s mega close. Even changing the alternator belt will be a challenge.
Don’t think the engine will come out the top either.

Need to fettle the chassis leg a tad more for the gearbox mount.

Need to fettle the chassis leg a tad more for the gearbox mount.

The mount has to take up the strength that's lost with the cutting in the chassis leg I suppose? Hence the thickness?

Also, any idea on the total weight of the Honda engine/gearbox compared to the Clio bits?

As it's a populair swap in the older (lighter) Honda's, it can't be too much, I doubt the handling will be affected much.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
How much is that conversion kit out of interest?

Also, any idea on the total weight of the Honda engine/gearbox compared to the Clio bits?

The conversion kit is £2500.

Not sure tbh From throwing the engine around its lighter probably as the block is alloy block, but the box being 6 speed is defo heavier.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
The mount has to take up the strength that's lost with the cutting in the chassis leg I suppose? Hence the thickness?

As it's a populair swap in the older (lighter) Honda's, it can't be too much, I doubt the handling will be affected much.

The mount defo needs the thickness but will be solid once in. I’ll post some pics of cutting the chassis leg.

Handling shouldn’t be effect, should be a good combo.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I think realistically any minor handling effect will be mitigated by the significantly improved engine and gearbox. The K20 is such a jump in power compared to the B18, the weight is not really important nor the worse weight distribution in comparison.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Thanks chaps. Extra bonus if it's lighter then. The conversion kit is a bit more than I expected, but I bet it will be a great car to drive. The gearbox is probably the weakest part of the 1*2, so the Honda unit should feel lovely!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks chaps. Extra bonus if it's lighter then. The conversion kit is a bit more than I expected, but I bet it will be a great car to drive. The gearbox is probably the weakest part of the 1*2, so the Honda unit should feel lovely!
This isn't a dig at you at all, but I'm confused that this is seen as quite expensive for a conversion kit.
When I did my conversion the shafts alone were £800, mounts are around £700 and I couldn't get a manifold cheaper than £800 after getting numerous quotes.

It's really reasonably priced imo of course

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
This isn't a dig at you at all, but I'm confused that this is seen as quite expensive for a conversion kit.
When I did my conversion the shafts alone were £800, mounts are around £700 and I couldn't get a manifold cheaper than £800 after getting numerous quotes.

It's really reasonably priced imo of course

I understand that. Obviously the bits in the kit will be pretty pricey, so I do see where the money goes. I just think that, when you factor that into buying the engine and gearbox, it does take away a little bit from the cost vs. benefit of the conversion. It will still be an epic car though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I understand that. Obviously the bits in the kit will be pretty pricey, so I do see where the money goes. I just think that, when you factor that into buying the engine and gearbox, it does take away a little bit from the cost vs. benefit of the conversion. It will still be an epic car though.
To get the f4r to similar power levels as the k20 can produce will also cost substantially more, and it will also be far, far less reliable. You’re looking at around 1500/2000 mile rebuild intervals on a f4r. All assuming it even makes the numbers before it spins a bearing.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
The K20 engine is in on all 3 mounts and checked for clearance on just about everything. I’m pretty happy with where the engine is sitting and how it sits, so the gearbox/chassis leg plate can be tacked where it is soon.

List of stuff I still need to sort or size up like clutch line, new feed and return fuel lines, need to notch the chassis legs for clearance on the drive shafts, need to notch the subframe for clearance for the 3 inch exhaust, the bottom hose supplied doesn’t work with my setup so needs adapting.

I should have a steering column arrive soon so can get the rack back on and check clearance there. Need to get a Clio outer joint as one of mine won’t fit the new shafts.

Plenty to do but here’s what it’s siting like.

564577E2-F3BD-4977-809F-611A894C0579.jpeg
70053A4C-8BE4-4D9A-B0CC-5279F9CF213F.jpeg
8D692020-5429-4D75-B222-1436A9586E41.jpeg
A01C2777-511E-457E-8B61-A60879B4BF49.jpeg
929F144C-C27C-4F1E-8B4F-E08B182A9C15.jpeg
770A0A87-9230-4A61-BDA0-D68547DDA2F2.jpeg
5F5BA80D-67FD-4E3B-AF7C-76FF5CE15194.jpeg
9065D5BA-672F-4A52-A576-F28D5CD56F51.jpeg
4DB4433B-11E9-440F-B443-EC230DD4B990.jpeg

I will have the Direnza alloy rad/fan set up for sale and also my PMS exhaust system with both silenced and unsilenced centre section.
Along with the oil cooler kit and the brand new Ktec racing gearbox mount already advertised in the for sale section.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The K20 engine is in on all 3 mounts and checked for clearance on just about everything. I’m pretty happy with where the engine is sitting and how it sits, so the gearbox/chassis leg plate can be tacked where it is soon.

List of stuff I still need to sort or size up like clutch line, new feed and return fuel lines, need to notch the chassis legs for clearance on the drive shafts, need to notch the subframe for clearance for the 3 inch exhaust, the bottom hose supplied doesn’t work with my setup so needs adapting.

I should have a steering column arrive soon so can get the rack back on and check clearance there. Need to get a Clio outer joint as one of mine won’t fit the new shafts.

Plenty to do but here’s what it’s siting like.

View attachment 1517320View attachment 1517321View attachment 1517322View attachment 1517323View attachment 1517324View attachment 1517325View attachment 1517326View attachment 1517327View attachment 1517328

I will have the Direnza alloy rad/fan set up for sale and also my PMS exhaust system with both silenced and unsilenced centre section.
Along with the oil cooler kit and the brand new Ktec racing gearbox mount already advertised in the for sale section.
Make the noiseeee

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
This is going to be wicked.

I am not into the whole honda/jap hype and scene at all but the engine really is something else.

I absolutely love hooning mine around and it sounds amazing at the top end. It's been very reliable too at 235bhp too.

I am not "waiting for something to go bang" like I would be with a tuned turbocharged car (or highly strung F4R)

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I received my carbon bulk head panel from @EVO 4LEX and its proper smart and perfect fit.

84723881-27DC-41F1-9E1E-566FE8519421.jpeg
7DBCE420-478B-4CE5-85FF-6BBEB45D13A9.jpeg
8DFA5D2B-E221-472E-9FC3-0037C9F0C1CD.jpeg

Got a new oil cap and coolant cap, I’ve also fitted a Ktuned recirculation hose, ordered a Ktuned blank for the housing and fitted the Ktuned coolant housing.

1AB8800C-1C99-4361-AF02-D755BEA75199.jpeg

Also ordered the clutch hose from HEL

EF1EC163-F14C-4470-ABA0-3C3DAE4C9BDE.jpeg

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Glad you’re happy with it mate! Looks spot on in there with the rest of the carbon! 😎

Yeah well happy. Took a few brave pills to drill through it mind 🙈 but was fine 😂 rather that than make new bloody hoses 😂

Ties the engine and dash together nicely

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Yeah well happy. Took a few brave pills to drill through it mind 🙈 but was fine 😂 rather that than make new bloody hoses 😂

Ties the engine and dash together nicely
Yeah saw the extra hole! Made it even lighter...